2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Similarities between a Mustang and an F150

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/05, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed the oil in my GT today and my wife's F150.

The thing they have in common that irritates me is that Ford routed the power steering line/hoses right in the way of access to the oil filter :bang: .

It's worse on the F150 than the Mustang; at least I can remove the filter on the Stang without cranking the wheels to the far left or right. But the filter wants to leak all over the hoses to the rack while you’re taking it off, making a mess in the process.

Anybody else enjoying the cleanup afterwards :angry: ?

Next change on the GT I'm going to try fashioning a splash shield/drain oil guider out of some flexible plastic sheeting and slip it in there under the filter as I'm removing it to corral the spooge.
Old 6/18/05, 12:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I have an '89 F-150 and when i change the oil filter, i slip a plastic garbage bag over the front suspension. After the filter change, i simply slide the bag out and discard. Keeps oil away from the front end making clean up a cinch.
Old 6/18/05, 09:14 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i pay 15.99 for oil change filter etc. and call it a day..no muss no fuss
Old 6/18/05, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by The Lyin' King@June 17, 2005, 11:11 PM
I changed the oil in my GT today and my wife's F150.

The thing they have in common that irritates me is that Ford routed the power steering line/hoses right in the way of access to the oil filter :bang: .

It's worse on the F150 than the Mustang; at least I can remove the filter on the Stang without cranking the wheels to the far left or right. But the filter wants to leak all over the hoses to the rack while you’re taking it off, making a mess in the process.

Anybody else enjoying the cleanup afterwards :angry: ?

Next change on the GT I'm going to try fashioning a splash shield/drain oil guider out of some flexible plastic sheeting and slip it in there under the filter as I'm removing it to corral the spooge.
Same on my '94 Tbird believe it or not... it's always such a mess!
Old 6/18/05, 10:33 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Boltzman@June 18, 2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah and you probably get some nasty recycled oil and installed be people who don't know what they're doing. I've always stayed away from anyone else changing my oil.
Old 6/18/05, 02:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Snikt@June 18, 2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah and you probably get some nasty recycled oil and installed be people who don't know what they're doing. I've always stayed away from anyone else changing my oil.

ok......... :scratch:
Old 6/18/05, 02:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Snikt@June 18, 2005, 10:36 AM
:notnice:

I used to change my own oil. It's just not worth it anymore. Since I stand about 10 feet from the bay, watching, I'm confident they're doing a fine job. And since I watch them crack open each of 6+ qts of Mobil1, I KNOW what is going in.

More power to the DIY-ers out there, but no oil changes for me. I'll spend my time mowing the yard or in the swimmin' pool!
Old 6/18/05, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Tsbird1994@June 18, 2005, 10:24 AM
Same on my '94 Tbird believe it or not... it's always such a mess!
haha you got a 94 tbird too? thats my other car. The oil changes on it are a real pain in the butt.
Old 6/18/05, 10:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like changing my own oil, with the money I save on labor I can afford the best oil/filters available and ensure that the job was done right .
Old 6/18/05, 10:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first time my sister asked me to change the oil in her 96 T-Bird, I said "no problem". The second time she asked I cried.
Old 6/18/05, 11:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@June 18, 2005, 9:59 PM
The first time my sister asked me to change the oil in her 96 T-Bird, I said "no problem". The second time she asked I cried.
That must have caused a negative pressure point situation or something :scratch:
Old 6/19/05, 09:24 PM
Cobra Member

I would gladly strangle the engineer that designed that T-Bird! With the 4.6 in it, the filter is in a nice, tight cubby hole and it BARELY has enough room to come out.

Heck, you barely have enough room to get your hands on the filter. You can reach it from the bottom front, but even then you can't really get a good grip on it. If the guy before you put it on too tight (like the first time I changed it), it is a real bear to change. I tried just about every trick in the book (and most of my various tools) to before I finally broke that POS loose.

Then I had to figure out how to get it out of there. Did I tell you that I have yet to find a way to do the filter change on this car without dumping at least 1/2 the oil in the filter out? And it goes all over the K frame, so it comes out of the car in a lot of different places...

I just changed the oil in my Mustang and my sis T-Bird this weekend. Even after doing oil changes on this car for the last 5 years or so, I can still do an oil change on my Mustang in less than 1/3 the time her car takes. If they just would have moved that power steering hose 1/2" further out, it wouldn't be a problem...
Old 6/20/05, 02:15 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Lowe!@June 18, 2005, 2:40 PM
:notnice:

I used to change my own oil. It's just not worth it anymore. Since I stand about 10 feet from the bay, watching, I'm confident they're doing a fine job. And since I watch them crack open each of 6+ qts of Mobil1, I KNOW what is going in.

More power to the DIY-ers out there, but no oil changes for me. I'll spend my time mowing the yard or in the swimmin' pool!
Takes longer to mow the lawn then change the oil, I'll be done before you and then in my pool faster, as far as the grass goes my wife can do it, I get hay fever.
Old 6/20/05, 05:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Boltzman@June 18, 2005, 9:17 AM

Here, Here. Our shop charges $14.95 for up to 5 qts of Motorcraft oil and Motorcraft filter; no appt necessary. Can't beat it.
I'd rather spend the weekends with the top down cruising somewhere than be crawling underneath changing my own oil. Work toooooo many hours during the week, want to play on weekends.
Old 6/20/05, 07:10 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I worked in an oil change place for 6 years so the last thing I want to do is crawl under the car to change the oil. Changing oil is not rocket science. I just make sure a 16 year old isn't doing it. Not stripped drain plug for me thanks.
Old 6/20/05, 08:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The T-bird brought back memories. I remember stabbing a long
srewdriver through the filter to tork it loose!!
Old 6/20/05, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@June 19, 2005, 8:27 PM
I would gladly strangle the engineer that designed that T-Bird! With the 4.6 in it, the filter is in a nice, tight cubby hole and it BARELY has enough room to come out.

Heck, you barely have enough room to get your hands on the filter. You can reach it from the bottom front, but even then you can't really get a good grip on it. If the guy before you put it on too tight (like the first time I changed it), it is a real bear to change. I tried just about every trick in the book (and most of my various tools) to before I finally broke that POS loose.

Then I had to figure out how to get it out of there. Did I tell you that I have yet to find a way to do the filter change on this car without dumping at least 1/2 the oil in the filter out? And it goes all over the K frame, so it comes out of the car in a lot of different places...

I just changed the oil in my Mustang and my sis T-Bird this weekend. Even after doing oil changes on this car for the last 5 years or so, I can still do an oil change on my Mustang in less than 1/3 the time her car takes. If they just would have moved that power steering hose 1/2" further out, it wouldn't be a problem...
Man, that's gotta leave a mark I guess it can always be worse . . . I should be thankful that the Mustang at least allows for some creative options to deflect the down pour .
Old 6/20/05, 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
$15 for an oil change, safety inspection, top off fluids/air pressure, vacuum out the car, dust the interior, HAND wash and dry.

I can't beat that for time or money.

Oh yeah... and every 5th one is free. (Comes out to $12 each time)
Old 6/20/05, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AWmustang@June 20, 2005, 9:26 AM
$15 for an oil change, safety inspection, top off fluids/air pressure, vacuum out the car, dust the interior, HAND wash and dry.

I can't beat that for time or money.

Oh yeah... and every 5th one is free. (Comes out to $12 each time)
You let a total stranger clean your car ?

Old 6/21/05, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by The Lyin' King@June 20, 2005, 10:54 AM
You let a total stranger clean your car ?

Ok I'm relatively new to the boards, but come on give me a little credit.

My father has been taking his cars to these guys for as long as I can remember. When I called to make the appointment for my car's first oil change, the response I got was "Your dad was telling me you got a new car, I've been waiting to get a look at it."

This is a small shop where they know me, by face, not just a name in a computer. And these are car guys. So I wouldn't say a total stranger is cleaning my car.

It's better than if I take the car to the dealer I bought it at where they run it through an automatic car wash :nono: I avoid automatic washes at all costs.

Quick Reply: Similarities between a Mustang and an F150