2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Shouldn't the dealer have installed wheel locks?

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/05, 09:44 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I found them in the factory package.....in the trunk. I didn't even think to check before we left the dealer. Oh well, so far my only complaint.
Old 5/19/05, 10:02 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same complaint. I put them on myself in my mom's driveway the next day. I was surprised they weren't on there from the start.
Old 5/19/05, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here - I called my dealer and they were clueless about the wheel locks.
Old 5/19/05, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

You're not alone there, buddy. When I picked up my car, I totally forgot that I ordered them. They were in a pouch in the console.

I called my salesman the next day and he told me to bring the car in any time and they would install the locking lug nuts. I did and they took it right in and replaced the lugs with the locks in about 10 minutes. I was just so jazzed about getting the car, I forgot to ask about them!

Be sure to send in the registration card. It's supposed to make your life easier if you lose your lock. Keep the half they tell you to in a safe place!
Old 5/19/05, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

The locks were already installed on the wheels when I picked-up my wife's vert. I asked the dealer about the four regular lugs and was told the locks were on the wheels when it came off the truck. I ended up finding the regular lugs in a zip-bag in the trunk.

Dealers. Most know next to nothing about what they are selling! :scratch:

EK
Old 5/19/05, 11:22 AM
V6 Member

Mine were also in a bag in the trunk. I will wait until the first oil change to have them installed. No need for a special trip.
Old 5/19/05, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

uhh, it takes like 10 seconds on each wheel to install them yourself...
Old 5/19/05, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine were in the truck too. Why make an appointment with the dealer? Like shea said just put them on yourself--they're just lug nuts.
Old 5/19/05, 12:42 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,755 Likes on 2,039 Posts
Some Customers do not like the Locking lugnuts so most dealers do not install them unless requested.

kc
Old 5/19/05, 01:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Well same boat here, parts in the trunk. I call them, the guy says oh sure no problem we will put them on for you next time your in. So I go in to have popping noise tsb taken care of and tell them curt said to let him know when it was in, and they would install them. Pick up car and they charged me 20.00 to do it. But since I dont have a proper torque wrench, I would rather pay then over torque and ruin rotors. good luck to all.
Old 5/21/05, 01:48 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05stangkc@May 19, 2005, 11:45 AM
Some Customers do not like the Locking lugnuts so most dealers do not install them unless requested.

kc
(Sarcasm directed toward my dealer, not kc)

If I did not want them installed, I would not have ordered them. Should I be expected to install the rear spoiler and stripe on the side, maybe I should have looked for the parts for the ABS and TC, those were options too....

(Sarcasm off)

You guys are right, it's no big deal to put them on muself, that was not the point. They should have been installed by SOMEONE, dealer or factory in my opinion. Main reason is most folks don't have a torque wrench, I do, but your every day buyer does not and would have no clue how to install these, heck 90% of folks driving can't change a tire.

I stopped for a woman with car trouble on the side of the road the other day and she was balling, hysterical!! I thought somebody had died........turned out she had a flat. Geez, hope nothing really bad ever happens....

Anyway, off the point now. I will put them on.
Old 5/21/05, 08:15 AM
Cobra Member

Mine were in a package in the trunk too, I installed them myself the next day when I realized it. No big deal though, I'm glad the car came with them.
Old 5/21/05, 08:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Found mine in a bag in the trunk. No big deal, put them on myself in a minute. Wondered why the dealer didn't put them on. That's ok, one less thing for them to scratch up.
Old 5/21/05, 08:44 AM
FR500 Member

I couldn't find the locks and they wern't on the wheels. I made the dealer order another set. Three days later, I found them in a bag underneath the floor carpet in the trunk and put them on.. They should have been installed by the dealer before delivery.
Old 5/21/05, 09:25 AM
Cobra Member

I agree with others that it should have been done at the dealership during the PDI. I guess they didn't notice the locking lug nut in it in the console. No biggie. I let the dealer install the lugs shortly after taking delivery, at no extra charge. I just couldn't be bothered doing it myself. Chalk it up to simple laziness. My dealer is a stone's throw from where I live so it was convenient for me to let them do it. If the wheels were stolen during this time, I might be whistling a different tune now!
Old 5/21/05, 09:25 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,755 Likes on 2,039 Posts
In My 20+ Years working at Dealerships I have Had many Calls from very irate Customers who had a Flat and did not even know what a wheel lock was until they had a flat or wanted their tires rotated. The only Good Answer to this Question is Better Communication between Dealer and Customer. You would think if a car was Special Ordered with Wheel locks the customer would want them put on, In my Case I wanted them to have but I did not want them installed. I wanted them to have in the original packaging to save with my window sticker and other paperwork. So I would have been irritated if mine had been installed. Now on the other hand if a Stock Unit had them installed and a customer had a flat a couple of years down the road and never knew they had locks guess who is going to get the Heat! The Point I am trying to get across is there is no one answer. It is such a simple thing but the point could be argued from many point of views!

kc
Old 5/21/05, 09:48 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by sodaman@May 19, 2005, 1:06 PM
Well same boat here, parts in the trunk. I call them, the guy says oh sure no problem we will put them on for you next time your in. So I go in to have popping noise tsb taken care of and tell them curt said to let him know when it was in, and they would install them. Pick up car and they charged me 20.00 to do it. But since I dont have a proper torque wrench, I would rather pay then over torque and ruin rotors. good luck to all.
I can't believe they charged you 20.00 to put the wheel locks on that you ordered with your car! I would go and get my 20 back if I were you! that 20.00 would be a good start at a Zaino kit to keep your car looking awesome for years to come! Not to mention you did order your car with the locking lug nuts!
Old 5/21/05, 10:41 AM
FR500 Member

Since they are a factory option, they should have been installed at the factory and not left to the dealer......or they should have been a dealer installed option. Either way, they should have been installed and someone should have been made responsible that they were installed and the key should have been delivered to the customer with the car keys. Leave the problem with the consumer and then ask him to fill out a questionaire?? I don't think that leaving the locks in limbo was a wise decision.
Old 5/21/05, 01:38 PM

Alright, my dealer said they are charging me almost $500 for dealer prep. I didn't order my car with the locking wheels locks because I can get them at Steeda, down the street, for $30. If you are paying for dealer prep. like I am, I would expect a dealer to put on the locking nuts.
Old 5/21/05, 02:05 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Shea@May 19, 2005, 12:34 PM
uhh, it takes like 10 seconds on each wheel to install them yourself...

$20 to install lugnuts? That's almost a tank of gas.

If anyone wants theirs installed, come see me and I'll have you in and out of my driveway in under 2 minutes for free.

Quick Reply: Shouldn't the dealer have installed wheel locks?