2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Should I Pay 30,200?

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/05, 09:25 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a GT on order, expecting it in Aug. I found one almost exactly as I ordered however, it has a spoiler, and no shaker. They won't go a penny under 30.2k, but the car is waiting. Should I just let them ream me and get the car, or should I take my chances and wait????????
Old 4/12/05, 09:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just have to think of is it worth it to you? With the talk that has been going around, it is an absolute certanty that not all of the mustang GTs in the order bank at this moment will be built. Unless you are absolutely sure that your car will b built, I would consider buying off of the lot. Now, whether or not this particular car is the right one is hard to say, as they are asking a good deal over MSRP for it. It might pay off for you to get a list of all the zip codes around you and search dealer inventories on www.fordvehicles.com for anything like your car.
Old 4/12/05, 09:32 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no, you'll regret it later

It will satisfy your craving now, but you'll be crying 3 years from now when you see the resale value and you're owing twice as much still on the loan.
Old 4/12/05, 09:33 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by gotan05@April 12, 2005, 9:28 AM
I have a GT on order, expecting it in Aug. I found one almost exactly as I ordered however, it has a spoiler, and no shaker. They won't go a penny under 30.2k, but the car is waiting. Should I just let them ream me and get the car, or should I take my chances and wait????????
got mine for 29000.00
Old 4/12/05, 09:39 AM
V6 Member

Don't do it!

I found a GT on the lot with a different interrior color than I ordered. Aside from that, it was a dead on match. It was also $5,111 more than what I ordered. Mine is now scheduled to be built 4/25. The wait is hard but the payoff is worth it. I'll get what I want and for less.

Plus, instead of spending an extra $5k on the car, I used it to help buy 7+ acres of land for my new house. Best of both worlds indeed.
Old 4/12/05, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by gotan05@April 12, 2005, 9:28 AM
Good things come to people who wait!!!! Besides the Mustang is not going away next year so if you don't get a 05 get a 06 for basically the same price as the one you have ordered. I think you will regret paying that much, don't let the dealers take you for anything above msrp especially 6 to 7 grand. :notnice: :nono:
Old 4/12/05, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

NO! Wait for your order.

I ordered the same car your did with the spoiler and paid $25k

So is it worth to pay 6K over? No. If you get the 05 you ordered great if not, an 06 is good toooooo. As long as your not sending some salesman's child to college.
Old 4/12/05, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

First...I wanted the 05 since I saw the conception vehicle. I was prepared to pay MSRP (or a little over)....I am telling ya' I was drooling for this car. Having said that there is NO way I would have paid that much markup....I would have been sad but would be like several others on here..waiting for the 06'........Of course, now the have shown the Shelby and I would probably be wanting that instead....go figure.

I would wait and take the chance on the order....or wait for the 06 and see what new colors are coming (I have legend lime..the best in my opinion :P....but there is a rumour of Ivy Gold for 06'...hot hot hot!)

my $1.20 (was .02 but has risen due to global oil use)...

Jay
Old 4/12/05, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I dropped off my GT today for service and was checking out some of the cars on the lot. They had a v-6 vert with a "fair market adjustment" sticker price on it of $31,200 They also had a v-6 coupe for $28,000. I will not believe that there is a stinker out there who will pay that. Heck, I paid just about $26k for my GT. (under x-plan )
Old 4/12/05, 10:26 AM
Cobra R Member

I got my GT with IUP...ICAP...Shaker 500...Active Anti-Theft...Automatic...Upgrade Wheels...Spoiler....for $28,400 (MSRP).......but that was in Nov. '04
Old 4/12/05, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dustindu4@April 12, 2005, 9:35 AM
no, you'll regret it later

It will satisfy your craving now, but you'll be crying 3 years from now when you see the resale value and you're owing twice as much still on the loan.
Totally agree. This higher price you're paying is going to hit you 3 times. First, paying WAY over MSRP. Second, the higher loan and more interest payments. Third, your car will depreciate faster, since it was overpriced and the resale will still follow the MSRP of the car.
Old 4/12/05, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

No way! Don't buy it! That is a big markup!! If you buy the car, this will only encourage dealerships to charge ridiculous markups over MSRP and make it that much harder for the common consumer to purchase an '05 Mustang at a reasonable price. And let's not forget the amount of money you will lose as soon as you drive the car off the lot. The resale value of your car will PLUMMET.

You'll definitely feel the burn from this deal three or five years down the road. It won't be worth the one or two months of novelty you'll enjoy for the heartache you'll endure down the road. You'll never be happy about paying that unrecoverable markup. Every time to start the car, that markup you paid will ALWAYS be in the back of your head.
Old 4/12/05, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

I say don't do it, there are many reasons already posted here in the thread! It has been hard for me, but abscence makes the heart grow fonder, or at least that's what I keep telling myself

Darn greedy dealers!

I know there are many on this site that say the dealers aren't doing anything wrong by marking the prices up since people are willing to pay..........supply vs demand and all that BS, but I don't think Ford realizes what this does to their name. People get a bad taste in their mouth about Fords ( I know there are good dealers around) when they see these markups on the Mustangs. And Ford is trying to use the Mustang to get shoppers on the lots to buy other Ford products, but do you think people want to deal with greedy dealers on any car? Its just not good business. I remember when the 350Z came out, and Nissan dealers tried this same stunt, there was a mandate from Nissan to NOT charge over MSRP, [B]why can't Ford to the same???????
Old 4/12/05, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by jsheehan@April 12, 2005, 10:35 AM
You just have to think of is it worth it to you? With the talk that has been going around, it is an absolute certanty that not all of the mustang GTs in the order bank at this moment will be built. Unless you are absolutely sure that your car will b built, I would consider buying off of the lot. Now, whether or not this particular car is the right one is hard to say, as they are asking a good deal over MSRP for it. It might pay off for you to get a list of all the zip codes around you and search dealer inventories on www.fordvehicles.com for anything like your car.
FINALLY a voice of reason on here...

(That is all I will say for now, but I honestly believe more then a few folks on here have made less then sound financial decisions with regard to there new vehice purchase)
Old 4/12/05, 11:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by gotan05@April 12, 2005, 8:28 AM
I think you should strongly consider taking the lot car. If your order is late, you may not get a 2005 at all... if you're okay with that risk, then wait, but be sure you've made peace with that possibility. Depending on your finances, it may be worth it to pay a few thousand more now to be sure to get the car you want.

I decided to take a lot car that was almost exactly what I'd ordered... I had to pay $2100 over list, but I think that was a reasonable tradeoff for me. I wanted mineral grey and I don't think that's even going to be an option in 2006, so I didn't want to take the risk.
Old 4/12/05, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow... I guess it's easy for guys with cash to blow to make it harder for the common consumer to get a GT at a reasonable price! A big :notnice: for giving in to dealer greed!! I really don't know how you can say paying a 2.1k markup is a "reasonable tradeoff." You'll never, and I mean NEVER, get that money back. Wow... just wow... and people wonder why there are so many markups...
Old 4/12/05, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Gotan05,

All I can say is you will Regret it Big Time! I have been waiting since 11-19-04 for my GT, a long time. while I have been waiting, I was calling alot of the dealers around detroit. Good News is mine is supposed to be built this month.

my advice is to do the same, check dealers in Detroit. you can fly in from Jersey for a couple hundred and pick up your car in detroit at a dealer and drive it home. or arrange for shipping. You would still be thousands ahead! I got an email from Gorno Ford near detroit as well as Varsity Ford Ann Arbor, Fowlerville Ford in Fowlerville MI all had GTs and all were willing to sell at A-plan price. Dont have phone nos handy but you can find all those dealers doing a search on web.

Good luck. By the way, 2 days ago there was a GT Vert at Brondes Ford in Toledo, OH (Black) and a Red GT vert at Steve Rodgers Ford in Waterville, OH.

Sam
Old 4/12/05, 11:57 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@April 12, 2005, 10:53 AM
Wow... I guess it's easy for guys with cash to blow to make it harder for the common consumer to get a GT at a reasonable price! A big :notnice: for giving in to dealer greed!! I really don't know how you can say paying a 2.1k markup is a "reasonable tradeoff." You'll never, and I mean NEVER, get that money back. Wow... just wow... and people wonder why there are so many markups...
When demand is high and supply is low, the price goes up. That's not just dealer greed, it's a basic law of economics, and you can't just wish it away. Blaming people for paying more to get the car they want in this kind of situation is a bit misguided... this is not a lottery, it's free enterprise. You can pay more to get a car now, or you can wait to get a car for less... but waiting has a cost too. A lower-priced car isn't a bargain if it's not what you really want.

As for what is a "reasonable" markup, that is for each individual to decide... based on how much he wants a particular car, and how much he can afford to and is willing to pay.
Old 4/12/05, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

You're trying to make it sound like a dealership is FORCED to drive its prices to ridiculous peaks. There is no "law" that forces a dealership to charge markups. They CHOOSE to and will continue to do so if they see people are still willing to purchase the car at said price. All I'm saying is what you did makes it that much harder for the common consumer to get a Mustang at MSRP, let alone a good deal.

I wouldn't care if I was a billionaire. I would never pay a markup on a mass-produced car like the Mustang simply based on principle. If I want to be mugged, I'll go to Newark. It's just bad money-managment. But, to each his own.
Old 4/12/05, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Sure...

Just pay me the $30k and I'll find you a GT.

Quick Reply: Should I Pay 30,200?