2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Should I fight my window tint ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/07, 12:41 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Treadhead
If you really want to know why this is a law then you should ask the people who made it. The Law Enforcement Officers of your state didn't make the law. The Senators and Representatives of your state made it. Your assumptions about Police Officer assumptions are comical. Never assume anything.
I know that police officers didnt make the laws that our congressman did, but who came up with the idea and why? I cant think of a single reason that any normal citizen would want to make it illegal, so that leaves politicians and police officers. Well politicians thats easy, to generate revenue, the excuse for why comes from cops as Trooper stated, they always say it was designed for the safety of the officer, so the PD had to have some effect with bringing this law about in some way. And so back to my point, which btw was meant to be over the top and a bit satirical to make a point, for generating revenue=LAME, for safety=BS. Its a stupid law period, same with the front license plate.
Old 7/7/07, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

You do the crime... you do the time (or take the ticket, whichever applies!).

I can't believe guys like this still post on here about getting a ticket (speeding, noise, tint) and wondering how to get out of it. They all know they did the violation, but are unwilling to own up to it like men (or women). I guess I am just old school when it comes to taking responsibility for my actions.
Old 7/7/07, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
You do the crime... you do the time (or take the ticket, whichever applies!).

I can't believe guys like this still post on here about getting a ticket (speeding, noise, tint) and wondering how to get out of it. They all know they did the violation, but are unwilling to own up to it like men (or women). I guess I am just old school when it comes to taking responsibility for my actions.
Im so glad you are man enough to be responsible for ALL of your actions and admit fault when it is done; you should quickly head over to the police department and confess all of your guilt right now for everything you have done in the past that you werent caught for. Because I highly doubt you are perfect and as you stated a real man would own up to it and "do the time." Or are you one of those "high and mighty" people that talk the talk but wont walk the walk and what you really mean is "you do the crime... you do the time" IF YOU ARE CAUGHT! Sheesh get over yourself. Every individual has the constitutional right to defend themselves in a court of law EVEN IF THEY ARE GUILTY! If Americans were only allowed to defend themselves if they were innocent we would have no need for the idea of "innocent until proven guilty" and we would be no better off then Iraq under Saddam. It is the prosecution (and for traffic violations that would be the arresting officer) who has the burden of proof to convict you of alleged violation, not the defendant.

As for the issue at hand, TINT, I think the main argument being made here is more that it shouldn't be a law to begin with.
Old 7/7/07, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know where to start with my the response to rrobello's post. I'm a member of ABATE (a motorcycle action group). We didn't like the helmet laws in our state and worked within the system to have them changed. The op obviously is breaking the law with his tint (and is a law I wouldn't be happy with in my state.) The answer is to have the law changed but unless/until this happens anyone outside the scope of the tinting laws who decide to use illegal tinting is breaking the law. Go to court if you wish but circumstancial evidence will find that person in fault.

Fight the laws not the court.
Old 7/7/07, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Tint laws = BS
Got nailed for them last week - rookie made a u-turn from the opposite side of a main road (Richmond Ave for those in the know) and tracked me for half a mile before pulling me over. For tints.

And Trooper: "You are probably just jealous that his place in society grants him complete control over you"

No, I can't think of many people that are jealous of college dropouts.
Old 7/7/07, 08:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingofsting
Tint laws = BS
Got nailed for them last week - rookie made a u-turn from the opposite side of a main road (Richmond Ave for those in the know) and tracked me for half a mile before pulling me over. For tints.

And Trooper: "You are probably just jealous that his place in society grants him complete control over you"

No, I can't think of many people that are jealous of college dropouts
Old 7/7/07, 09:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Tint laws = BS

Yeah, who the heck is jealous of guys like Bill Gates anyway.
http://www.pennylicious.com/2006/10/...aire-dropouts/
Old 7/8/07, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by citizen arcane
I don't know where to start with my the response to rrobello's post. I'm a member of ABATE (a motorcycle action group). We didn't like the helmet laws in our state and worked within the system to have them changed. The op obviously is breaking the law with his tint (and is a law I wouldn't be happy with in my state.) The answer is to have the law changed but unless/until this happens anyone outside the scope of the tinting laws who decide to use illegal tinting is breaking the law. Go to court if you wish but circumstancial evidence will find that person in fault.

Fight the laws not the court.
Im not arguing that it isnt a law or that by having tint on a car that you arent breaking said law, I am saying it is a dumb law, and yes I agree if we want it changed that we need to take correct action to have the law changed not just constantly try to fight it in court.
Old 7/8/07, 03:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rrobello
I know that police officers didnt make the laws that our congressman did, but who came up with the idea and why? I cant think of a single reason that any normal citizen would want to make it illegal, so that leaves politicians and police officers. Well politicians thats easy, to generate revenue, the excuse for why comes from cops as Trooper stated, they always say it was designed for the safety of the officer, so the PD had to have some effect with bringing this law about in some way. And so back to my point, which btw was meant to be over the top and a bit satirical to make a point, for generating revenue=LAME, for safety=BS. Its a stupid law period, same with the front license plate.
I don't buy the safety=BS. While I have yet to stop a car for having tint so dark I can't see inside, I have stopped them for other violations and I can tell you for a fact that is a safety concern for me to walk up to car totally in the open not being able to see who/what or how many people are in there. You should try it sometime. Believe it or not there are some people who like to shoot at us. It's bad enough sometimes when I can see in the car much less be totally blind until a window comes down. Anyway, I'm not here to argue but, I just wanted to point out a few things. Also, a front plate really helps in finding stolen cars going the opposite direction for us patrol guys anyway.
Old 7/8/07, 03:58 AM

I don't buy the safety=BS. While I have yet to stop a car for having tint so dark I can't see inside, I have stopped them for other violations and I can tell you for a fact that is a safety concern for me to walk up to car totally in the open not being able to see who/what or how many people are in there. You should try it sometime. Believe it or not there are some people who like to shoot at us. It's bad enough sometimes when I can see in the car much less be totally blind until a window comes down. Anyway, I'm not here to argue but, I just wanted to point out a few things. Also, a front plate really helps in finding stolen cars going the opposite direction for us patrol guys anyway.
I understand that you can not see in, but then why is it legal to make your rear windows as black as you want? That is a huge safety issue as well. You cant see if anyone is sitting in the back seats and you still cant see the driver well, if at all, even if the front windows are down. I know if I placed someone in my drivers seat and had the windows down and I tried to walk up on them, I would not be able to see them until I got to the window. And I dont know of any cop that stops you, parks in front of your car and then approaches from the front, at least Ive never heard of or seen it. And how is it a safety issue if my windows are down when you approach, shouldnt you then forgo giving a ticket for that window being tinted since I have removed the "safety hazard" by rolling it down before you even get out of the car? but Ive been asked to roll them up and then got the ticket. And again, if its a safety hazard and the ONLY thing that the person in the vehicle has done wrong was have tinted windows and the officer has no cause or reason to believe that they have committed any other crimes, then does it not make sense to let them get away with having tinted windows instead of possibly putting yourself in a potential "unsafe" situation? And why is it illegal to have tint that you can see into then?
Old 7/8/07, 04:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

bill gates went back and got his degree btw.

tint laws suck. where does the money go?
do the tickets go torwards municipal or federal purposes?
CA is a greedy state.
Old 7/8/07, 04:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like I said before, that's something you need to take up with your state legislators. I've never written a tint ticket in 13yrs. Some Officers feel the need and some don't. It's the Officers discretion as to what ticket he/she writes. I have my own pet peeves and dark tint isn't one of them but, it's still an Officer safety issue and I take a different approach to the car if it's too dark for me to see inside. Most folks will roll the window down before I approach which usually allows some light inside which works for me. That way I don't feel like I'm running the gauntlet just to get to your window.

Now,, about the not stopping them for "just" dark tint. That's up to the individual Officer. Our job is inherently unsafe and we took an oath to do what it takes to do our job which sometimes means putting ourself in an unsafe situation if that makes sense.

This next part is not directed at you or anyone in particular but, A Lot of people talk themselves into a ticket and can't figure out why they got the ticket. I've had people tell me to just go ahead and write the ticket because "I'm just gonna set it for court" before I can even say anything. That was one of the nicer one's. Most of them I can't put on here. LOL.
Old 7/8/07, 05:50 AM
GT Member

I have a question for trooper. I understand that it is a safety issue for officers that they can not see into a car, although cali laws just suck and wont allow for any tint at all on the doors even those that you can see in, but if its a safety issue then why stop a car just for tint if you cant see in? Wouldnt it be more safe to let them go about their business if they are not breaking any other laws?
Did you ask your mommy if it's ok to use her computer? Are you F'ing kidding me... isn't it better to just let mopes drive right on by you? Knock Knock... my job is arresting people and in order to arrest people I must have contact with those that are doing something wrong. You have obviously lived a very sheltered life and don't have the ability to think like a police officer so I wont try to explain how policing is done.

Tint laws = BS

My paycheck is proof positive that you don't need some piece of paper to hang on your wall (because it makes you feel special) to be a productive member of society. The funnny thing about this whole discussion... I have it on pretty much a weekly basis in real life. If you don't like the laws of the state you are living in... do something to get them changed... or better yet... move!

To whoever it was that made the retarded statement about tint is not an officer safety issue... it's about revenue... I'm sure you live in some nice community where you aren't affected by crime... guess what genious... the world is a bad place and there are plenty of people out there that would just as soon hurt you as say hi to you. I propose this... you try to imagine what it's like to know that simply because of the job you do and the uniform you wear that there is a certain few in society that are intent on causing you serious bodily harm or death. When you are man enough to walk up to a car you can't see into at 3am, in the section of town that has a drive by or home invasion about once a week and is infested with maximum security prison families... then come talk to me about how silly you think tint laws are.

Have all the ill will you want towards Law Enforcement... the pen is mightier than the mouth... We always win

I've had people tell me to just go ahead and write the ticket because "I'm just gonna set it for court" before I can even say anything. That was one of the nicer one's. Most of them I can't put on here. LOL.
Thank you... No matter how long I'm in court I get a minimum of 3 hours OT. The 3 courts I write 90% of my tickets for are less than 10 minutes from the barracks. I live 7 minutes from the barracks. My V&T trials are almost always a quick kill because the defendant made admissions on the side of the road. It's not uncommon to be gone from my house for less than an hour and rake in 3 hours of OT. BTW... my current OT rate is $55.65 an hour and we're without a contract right now so that figure will increase when the state accepts that they are giving us more money.
Old 7/8/07, 09:17 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by n00bstang
bill gates went back and got his degree btw.
What college boy told you that?
MODERATOR: I have a question from Silicon Valley again. (Patricia Crystal ?), a teacher at James Logan High School asks, as a teacher, Students often claim that you didn't finish college; however, you're still successful. How would you address my students who make this claim?
BILL GATES: Well, when it comes to loving school, I loved school. I loved the fact that I got to meet other people who were doing interesting things. I was able to get to know my teachers and have them challenge me in particular ways.
What actually happened was I went to Harvard University and I started there, I was taking way more than a normal number of classes, and having a great time doing it. But actually the very first kit computer showed up on the cover of a magazine, it was a $360 computer called the Altair. And my friend Paul Allen had taken a job back in Boston so he could be there, and we could brainstorm about when were we going to start our software company. And so we were really worried somebody else would write software and have this vision of this personal computer as this great tool before us. And so, in fact, I finished three years of college, and it turns out if I had known that I was only going to go to three years of college, I had enough advance placement to ask that if I'd done just a few things slightly differently I could have gotten my college degree.
Old 7/8/07, 09:24 AM
V6 Member

I don't see your point.

You know your worng, PAY THE FINE.

Stop trying to blame everyone else on your mistake. The cop was only doing his job. He doesn't write the laws, he only enforces them. That's what he's paid (by you) to do.

As for the doctor's note deal, if your eyes are that sensitive, you probably should just park your car.

Sorry, but these days seems kids are blaming everyone but themselves. Take some responsibility.

Mike

PS Shea, I don't know you, and didn't intend to single you out. I'm sure you're a very nice person. This is just symptomatic of the Y Gen.
Old 7/8/07, 09:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by karman
What college boy told you that?
MODERATOR: I have a question from Silicon Valley again. (Patricia Crystal ?), a teacher at James Logan High School asks, as a teacher, Students often claim that you didn't finish college; however, you're still successful. How would you address my students who make this claim?
BILL GATES: Well, when it comes to loving school, I loved school. I loved the fact that I got to meet other people who were doing interesting things. I was able to get to know my teachers and have them challenge me in particular ways.
What actually happened was I went to Harvard University and I started there, I was taking way more than a normal number of classes, and having a great time doing it. But actually the very first kit computer showed up on the cover of a magazine, it was a $360 computer called the Altair. And my friend Paul Allen had taken a job back in Boston so he could be there, and we could brainstorm about when were we going to start our software company. And so we were really worried somebody else would write software and have this vision of this personal computer as this great tool before us. And so, in fact, I finished three years of college, and it turns out if I had known that I was only going to go to three years of college, I had enough advance placement to ask that if I'd done just a few things slightly differently I could have gotten my college degree.

http://www.komotv.com/news/microsoft/7913452.html
Old 7/8/07, 09:55 AM
GT Member

Cool

Its like the "click it or ticket" program, yeah they say its for safety, but who cares about someones own personal safety that they as an adult decided to waive. I know its stupid to not wear a seat belt but hey if someone is that stupid then why should the government tell them not to? We do not need babysitters. They are putting absolutely no one in harms way other than themselves and besides let natural selection take its place. The real reason is to generate revenue. There are much better things a cop can be doing than making sure everyone is wearing their seatbelt IMO.

:rant off:
I'm not saying you don't but Please wear your seatbelt so that if/or when you rear end my stang your dead body doesn't fly thru my glass and kill me.
Nobody cares about your safety.
Old 7/8/07, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 98YELLOWGT
I'm not saying you don't but Please wear your seatbelt so that if/or when you rear end my stang your dead body doesn't fly thru my glass and kill me.
Nobody cares about your safety.
+ Eleventybillion!

People are so dayum egocentric. Sure, it's your decision if you don't want to wear a seatbelt. If you make the conscious decision not to wear a seatbelt then the law should be ammended such that emergency personnel and hospitals have no responsibility to scrape your sorry a s s out of your car and try to put you back together. The folks making this argument about their "right" not to wear a seatbelt are usually the first to exercise their "right" to sue everyone that comes within 20 feet of them if something goes wrong. They're entitled to $20MM because the guy struggling to pull him out of his burning car twisted his broken arm pinching a nerve so he can't feel his pinky. Of course he'll also sue the guy with the illegally tinted windows who failed to stop completely before making a right turn on red. If decide not to wear a seatbelt, then we'll just leave you in the car and you can take care of yourself. People are idiots! Enough with "rights" and entitlement! I have a right not to pay through the stinking nose for medical insurance that's inflated to cover the losses realized because of all these other idiots excercising their right to be stupid!

God you folks are firing me up today!
Old 7/8/07, 10:41 AM
GT Member

Hhmmmm . . Lots of arguements for both sides. I personally find it a little uncomfortable as a safety issue when I am unable to make 'eye contact' with other drivers on the road especially at intersections. We all know some cops are '****s' and some aren't and some drivers are '****s' and some aren't. The problem usually comes up when a '****' cop stops a '****' driver.....
Old 7/8/07, 11:36 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would still like to know why tint is legal in some states and not others if its a safety issue..Speeding is a safety issue and is illegal in all states

Quick Reply: Should I fight my window tint ticket?