2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be ****ed? Or should I stop being paranoid...

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/07, 11:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I be ****ed? Or should I stop being paranoid...

Should I be ****ed?

I dropped my car off at the local dealer to have fault codes read. And to get their recomendations based on the fault codes. When I left the car with them it had 21,507.5miles on the odo. When I picked it up it had 21,511.3miles on the odo.

Anyway, they put 3.8 miles on the car. They could have driven from the parking lot into the service bay then back to the parking lot 57 times to drive 3.8 miles. Or they could have driven the car out to lunch and around town smoking the tires along the way.

Should I call them on it, or just not go back there. I've already decicded to not go back to the other near by dealer. I'm going to run out of dealers if this keeps up.

Or should I stop being paranoid...

What do you think?
Old 3/21/07, 11:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would call them on it.
Old 3/21/07, 11:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It's actually normal for them to drive the car after fixing a problem. They need to make sure it's corrected before giving it back.
Old 3/22/07, 12:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
It's actually normal for them to drive the car after fixing a problem. They need to make sure it's corrected before giving it back.

Very true. My cousin is a mechanic and he's got to test drive everything before the customer picks it up.
Old 3/22/07, 12:16 AM
GT Member

I hear you guys saying it's normal to have them do a test drive after fixing a problem... but the thing is, is I specifically asked them to read codes. They didn't fix anything.
Old 3/22/07, 12:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
my dealer used about 10 miles worth of gas once when i had 12 left, during an oil change (used to warm up the oil before and after), It is typical that they test drive them after a fix especially under 10 miles, Don't worry! I would rather them fix it and make sure then let it go unfixed till I get home and have to turn around.
Old 3/22/07, 12:56 AM
Cobra R Member

they needed to make sure the codes didnt come back, they did that with mine once like 6-8 miles on the odometer
Old 3/22/07, 07:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by samckernan
Stop being paranoid (unless you find fresh tire rubber dust particles in your rear fender wheelwell! ).

If it bothers you that much, get yourself a XCal2 and read the codes yourself.
Old 3/22/07, 09:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Stop being paranoid (unless you find fresh tire rubber dust particles in your rear fender wheelwell! ).

If it bothers you that much, get yourself a XCal2 and read the codes yourself.
That is what i would be more worried about. And i have first hand experiance with that crap.

Richard
Old 3/22/07, 09:31 AM
Cobra R Member

I would not be paranoid. I believe most of the time they clear the codes, and then do a quick drive to see if the light turns back on. And also unless you specifically told them NOT to drive the car. i would imagine that they had no reason to do anything different than a normal diag. which would most likely include a small test drive.
Old 3/22/07, 12:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I would think if they read the codes that they then cleared them and went for a short run to see if they came back on, I would say its normal.
Old 3/22/07, 03:31 PM
Cobra Member

A 3 or 4 mile test drive by the techs is nothing to worry about. Unless there's a track 3 three miles away from the dealer...
Old 3/22/07, 03:53 PM
Bullitt Member

When these cars were first launched in the end of 04, I could a tech taking it out for a little bit extra, on his test drive. But now, this car is basically 3 years old, and I am sure all ford techs have driven not only other customer's cars, but the dealerships cars (for PDI, etc) as well. To most of these guys, driving a mustang around on the test drive after work is no different than driving a taurus.
Old 3/22/07, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Should I be ****ed?

I dropped my car off at the local dealer to have fault codes read. And to get their recomendations based on the fault codes. When I left the car with them it had 21,507.5miles on the odo. When I picked it up it had 21,511.3miles on the odo.

Anyway, they put 3.8 miles on the car. They could have driven from the parking lot into the service bay then back to the parking lot 57 times to drive 3.8 miles. Or they could have driven the car out to lunch and around town smoking the tires along the way.

Should I call them on it, or just not go back there. I've already decicded to not go back to the other near by dealer. I'm going to run out of dealers if this keeps up.

What do you think?
You never said whether they cleared the codes or just "read" them. This may be a dumb question but do the codes get cleared by simply reading them? If not and you specifically said "read only" then I would be ****ed.

If they cleared the codes then I would not worry about 3.8 miles for sure.
Old 3/22/07, 06:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RottenRonny
When these cars were first launched in the end of 04, I could a tech taking it out for a little bit extra, on his test drive. But now, this car is basically 3 years old, and I am sure all ford techs have driven not only other customer's cars, but the dealerships cars (for PDI, etc) as well. To most of these guys, driving a mustang around on the test drive after work is no different than driving a taurus.
+1, honestly at my service dealership most of the techs either have their own or have some form of heavily modded F-150. In fact one guy has one jacked up as high as a monster truck, he uses a ladder to get in and out. I would stop being paranoid about it until you notice that it was in excess of 15 miles. Plus most of these guys are mature adults just trying to earn a living, it's the stupid young ones you got to look out for, but thats why the young guys often only change oil.
Old 3/22/07, 11:16 PM
Cobra R Member

hey now tom tell us how you really feel about us youngin's
Old 3/23/07, 12:47 AM
GT Member

Now if the car had 50 miles on it then I would ***** but a couple miles is no big deal.. I rather them test drive it and make sure all is well, rather then getting the car back and have it throw a code as I drive away.
Old 3/23/07, 01:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Should I be ****ed?

What do you think?
So one of your car's warning lights came on and you took it in to have them check the codes and advise you what they think the problem is...
I'm sure that when you talked to the service writer he wrote up some paperwork and had you sign the form. On that form you give them permission to test drive the car in order to find the problem.

Since they only put 3.8 miles on the car I wouldn't worry about it.
I mean think about it, they drive the car down the street a just under 2 miles,turn around and drive back to the dealership.
Old 3/23/07, 02:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Having your battery go dead will have these lights go on and they turn off when the battery gets a full charge again, like after a 1/2hour on the highway
Old 3/23/07, 06:59 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Your Pony only gets stronger with more burnouts.

Quick Reply: Should I be ****ed? Or should I stop being paranoid...