2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

The shimmy....revisited

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/08, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shimmy....revisited

Argh here we go again! So about a year ago i bought new wheels and after the install i noticed the steering wheel had a slight shimmy and only got shimmier when the speed increased. And thanks to this forum, i got to the bottom of the shindig, and took off those roter clips or whatever that were on the front wheels. Problem solved. BUT THEN, the other day i drove my car roughly 50 miles, and i drove it hard. I cornered with a vengeance and had a great time. Then on my way home, i noticed that **** shimmy was back. It feels the exact same way when i had my wheels put on. (There is also a slight pull to the left now, nothing major though). I checked my air pressure and everything is as it should, so i'm at a loss right now. I could get an alignment, but i don't see how that could be causing the shimmy? Give me your thoughts guys, as i'm just a man that's lacking in mechanical prowess. Thanks guys

Last edited by karlmalone1; 6/9/08 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 6/9/08, 03:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you notice if you warped the rotors a little during some hard braking? This could potentially cause a little tire shimmy.
Old 6/9/08, 03:27 PM

Ahh i haven't checked that out, but i'm guessing that's it. (oh and i didn't see that thread below mine. pretty much my situation)
Old 6/10/08, 12:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Steering...

Hey I noticed your thread and wanted to chime in... My sister has an '05 vert and she had a similar issue and Ford could not diagnose it. She finally got irate and when they dug a little deeper they found she she a faulty steering component and it was replaced under warranty. The tech told her it was a good thing she brought it in; she could have lost control of the car. I have not seen any wide spread reports of this but better safe than sorry...

Hope that helps...

/Matt
Old 6/11/08, 11:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 69CaliStang
Hey I noticed your thread and wanted to chime in... My sister has an '05 vert and she had a similar issue and Ford could not diagnose it. She finally got irate and when they dug a little deeper they found she she a faulty steering component and it was replaced under warranty. The tech told her it was a good thing she brought it in; she could have lost control of the car. I have not seen any wide spread reports of this but better safe than sorry...

Hope that helps...

/Matt
I think I may have this issue also. Any way you could get a little more info of what they did to your sister's car? Sometimes while on the road I feel for a brief instant that the car has a mind of its own and now you saying that the tech said it is a big issue is getting me worried. Any more information, maybe on the receipt she got from the dealer on what part was replaced would help.

thanks
Old 6/11/08, 03:08 PM

Wow, i found out the culprit, and it's a lot worse than some roter problems. The shop i brought it to says both of my front wheels are bent, and one of the tires is "shot" apparently. I'm going there in about an hour to talk to them and to see what's up. I don't even remember going over anything where that could have happened, at least nothing substantial. I do drive on a road that needs re-paved a lot, it's quite bumpy and has a few potholes, but i can't imagine that bent my wheels? My wheels are wedssport tc005 http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...t+Grey+Painted
Old 6/11/08, 10:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Ouch! What size tire are you running? Gotta watch the potholes with them low profile tires. A few xtra pounds of air can save a wheel.
Old 6/12/08, 10:18 AM

255/45 fronts and 285/40 rears (goodyear supercar f1). I had around 36 psi in the tires, but oh well. Does anyone know if there are people who could correct the slight bends in my rims? I'd rather get that done than buy whole new ones, and i need to act quick, as tirerack only has 4 left of the front rims, and no other place online, or any place ever created, sells those rims. I'm going to be in quite a pickle if a place can't fix them, and i can't buy new ones.
Old 6/12/08, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't know where you're located , but if you're in the Ft. Lauderdale area , a place called good roads can do them ...
Old 6/12/08, 01:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Kingpin2B
I think I may have this issue also. Any way you could get a little more info of what they did to your sister's car? Sometimes while on the road I feel for a brief instant that the car has a mind of its own and now you saying that the tech said it is a big issue is getting me worried. Any more information, maybe on the receipt she got from the dealer on what part was replaced would help.

thanks
I will check it out with her and get back to you soon...

/Matt
Old 6/12/08, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you sure the shop isnt just trying to get your money?????

it takes a lot to bend a rim, and if its not noticably bent, i wouldnt trust them, get another opinion....

you could have just thrown a wheel weight, or kicked the alignment off a little, its hard to say...
Old 7/5/08, 11:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sorry this took a while,

She finally found the invoice and it states that it was the steering gear assembly. They used a stethescope to find the sound traveling up the steering column. It took 4 days to get the car finished so I am thinkning it was the rack and pinion since they stated the gear itself was bad. I have heard of issues with the unit before but not on a Mustang.

Hope that helps. Oh and by the way she told them she wasn't taking the car back until they solved the issue. It had been in the shop 4 times for the issue.