2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Shaker 500 vs 1000

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/05, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So to sum it up, the Speakers are the SAME in both ? So your paying 19xx CDN for a Sub ?

Are there any pictures of the stock system ? IE how many speakers does it come with ?

Ben
Old 1/10/05, 06:42 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Domainer+January 10, 2005, 2:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Domainer @ January 10, 2005, 2:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adrenalin@January 10, 2005, 2:26 PM
. Kicks the crap out of the BOSE stereo that was in my 2000 Grand Prix GTP
That was an AC Delco head unit in that car. The most unreliable piece of crap ever created. Can't really compare with that one IMO . [/b][/quote]
You're right. You really can't compare a factory car stereo to a factory car stereo...can you
Old 1/10/05, 06:44 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Fastrack@January 10, 2005, 6:08 PM
So to sum it up, the Speakers are the SAME in both ? So your paying 19xx CDN for a Sub ?

Are there any pictures of the stock system ? IE how many speakers does it come with ?

Ben
I don't think anyone has actually proved that the speakers in the shaker 500 and shaker 1000 are the same. Has anyone removed the speakers from both to compare? Also the head unit for the shaker 1000 incorporates a crossover. Those of you that have the Shaker 1000 can test this. Play a song with bass and stick your head to the sub in the door. Now, go into the menu of the headunit and turn the shaker off. You will now find more bass comes out of the doors. The crossovers change the low filter (my guess is 100 hz) so you can really crank it without distorting the 8" speakers in the doors.
Old 1/10/05, 07:08 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,722 Likes on 2,016 Posts
I have the shaker 1000 and as hunter would say WORKS FOR ME! These new cars have so much electrical in them that I simply do not Trust Having somebody integrate an aftermarket unit into my car! I have seen Stange things working at a Ford Dealership that was caused from an Aftermarket Stereo Shop! How about a cell phone shutting off a car when driving over manhole covers! Ya it Happend! How about an entire Dash wiring Harness catching on Fire after a Shoddy Bargain Stereo was installed! How about the wipers coming on when the radio was turned on! I could go on and on! Aftermarket in my 60's and 70's Musclecars OK! Not in My Computerized 05 NO THANKS!
Old 1/11/05, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

I'm going with the Shaker 500, but NOT the 1000. The price for the upgrade (which is only the box in the back and the (SMALL!) amp that drives it) is WAY too much. I can do MUCH better buying a good sub amp and either dual 10s or a single 12" sub and then build my own form fitting inclosure. Of course, I have the tools and skills to do the work myself, so I end up saving a LOT of money (amp is about $350 to $450 for a good 400 watt RMS amp vs. 120 watt RMS factory amp, and about $300 x 2 for a pair of 10" subs or $350 for a 12" sub plus materials to build the enclosure...) over the factory system. Did I mention that sound wise it will blow away the Shaker 1000 rear sub??

Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with the Shaker 500 speakers either. They are all very cheap speakers with tiny motor assemblies and they sound muddy and can't play at higher volumn levels without a ton of distortion. They will be replaced with REAL speakers once the check book allows.

I will be getting the Shaker 500 stock though. Why? So I will have a pre built place to stuff my JL Audio 8W3V2 subs in the door! Plus, it IS an ok factory radio. Probably one of the better factory radios, especially in this price range. The problem is, once you get used to a GOOD aftermarket stereo, listening to just about ANY factory system hurts the ears.

It's sad, but the stereo in my 23 year old pickup sounds a LOT better than the Shaker 1000 system in the new Mustang. And it only consists of a pair of GOOD 6 1/2" componet speakers that are biamped with a Phoenix Gold Octane R 8:0:4 amp (75 watt x 4 RMS) and a pair of Boston Acustics (not the best) 8" subs in small enclosures sitting behind the bench seat all driven by a Kenwood Z919 mps capable head unit. In back to back listening between my truck and a Shaker 1000 Mustang using the same source material, my truck just killed the Shaker hands down. Cleaner sound, better imaging, less distortion (even at lower volume levels it was noticable) and cleaner bass (but the Shaker 1000 DID have louder bass especially at lower frequencies). That listening test was why I decided that here was no way in hades I was paying for the Shaker 1000. And the Shaker 500 would need some major upgrades (mainly speakers at first) right off the bat.

Of course, I'll be listening to the motor for the first 3 or 4 months, so I got some time to save for the system once the care comes in...
Old 1/11/05, 11:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I hear ya man.

Once you go aftermarket...its hard to go back. I have yet to hear a shaker 500 or 1000...but I know my new system going in will blow the doors (no pun intended) off of it. I will be doing alpine amps and head unit, JL subs in the trunk and doors, and MB Quart mids. Now I just need about $2,500.

I figure the shaker 500 will tide me over till I save up the money.
Old 1/11/05, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin+January 10, 2005, 7:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adrenalin @ January 10, 2005, 7:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Domainer@January 10, 2005, 2:30 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-adrenalin
@January 10, 2005, 2:26 PM
. Kicks the crap out of the BOSE stereo that was in my 2000 Grand Prix GTP

That was an AC Delco head unit in that car. The most unreliable piece of crap ever created. Can't really compare with that one IMO .
You're right. You really can't compare a factory car stereo to a factory car stereo...can you [/b][/quote]

On second thought, and after reading what some of what others have said putting down the shaker 1000 ( the one you have,) maybe the shaker 1000 "is" comparable to that horrid Ac delco based system of the 2000 grand prix

So , in essence, I agree with that .. Just another factory stereo, nothing special .
Old 1/11/05, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

SurfNSoCal,

Yup. JL Audio will also figure proudly in at least 3 holes in my stereo as well. 8W3V2s up front and either a pair of 10W6V2 or a 12W6V2 (I still have not decided which way I want to go with this...)

I will also probably go with Polk Audio MMC6500 component speakers up front and in the rear if I can fit them. These are the same speakers I have in my truck and I like them more than the MB Quart 6 1/2" compoent speakers in my sisters car (Newer version of the CX218s, but I can't remember the model number!). That titanium dome tweater in teh Quart can hit hard, but it DOES get a bit harsh at higher volumn levels. The silk dome tweater in the Polks sounds as clear to me at the Quart, but it never gets harsh at all, just, well, silky smooth sound. I never thought I would find a speaker I liked better than the Quart!

Eventually, I'll put a Kenwood DX7015 in, but I am hoping that the stock unit will sound pretty good when it is feeding into real amps and driving real speakers. And I thought the $600 I spent on my Z919 in my truck was going to be the most I ever spent on a car head unit...
Old 1/11/05, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

Dominator,

I would listen for yourself. Personally, I have VERY good hearing (and I THANK GOD! that it is not as good as it used to be when I was a teenager!). I can hear some of the bats echo location squeeks (not all of them. Depends on the bat and if they are in the upper part of there range or the lower part). It appears to run in the family. I have an Uncle and cousin that can hear the bats also.

But anyway, because of my good hearing, I can hear a LOT of "stuff" in factory systems that a lot of (90% plus) people will never hear such as low frequency distortion or anything that happens above 16khz. So the distortion and noise that I hear (and can't stand) may not even be noticable to you if you have normal hearing. Therefore, the factory system might sound a whole lot better to you than to me. I would grab some CDs you are familiar with and go spend a 1/2 hour or so in both a S500 and a S1000 and see what YOUR ears are telling you. You might just find that the S500 is perfectly good or that the S1000 is worth the money to YOU. It's not for me, but I'm a special case.
Old 1/11/05, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@January 11, 2005, 2:42 PM
You might just find that the S500 is perfectly good or that the S1000 is worth the money to YOU. It's not for me, but I'm a special case.
I'm special too
Old 1/11/05, 01:57 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Bash the shaker 1000 all ya want....I don't care..I have enough trophies and prize money from stereo comps that I don't have to justify diddly-squat. Some of us stuck with the shaker 1000 for 2 reasons...don't want to fart around with stereo stuff and second, bury the cost in the financing of the car. Besides, regardless of what a few, and I mean a few, of you think, the shaker 1000 does a pretty good job. I have already compared it to a few of my knuckle-head friends that have spent a few grand on car stereo equipment and the shaker sounded a bit better. Sure, they could have gotten better equipment (more money involved of course) but who cares. It sounded better than their factory system and my factory system sounded better than their aftermarket.

Point is, the people that are getting the shaker 1000 do not plan on going into stereo competitions. The system goes loud enough and sounds good enough to turn heads if they want to. For some of us, the days of cranking the stereo until the lights in the garage fall from the ceiling are over.

Anyway I have a lot more money this way to put into modifying the body and getting more HP out of this beast.
Old 1/11/05, 03:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

RRRoamer-

funny...I am trying to decide between those subs as well. I had a pair of 12" MTX subs in my last stang. But I am thinking I want to do a single 10 with dual 8's up front. I dunno.

Also, with the 8's in the doors....6.5" components probably wont sound as good as 5.25's. I would think a 1" tweeter, 5.25" mid, and 8" low would sound about right...wouldn't you?

I will look in to those Polk speakers. I have been looking at the Premium series for MB Quart. I don't want something that is "tinny". hmmm..
Old 1/11/05, 05:29 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@January 11, 2005, 4:21 PM
RRRoamer-

funny...I am trying to decide between those subs as well. I had a pair of 12" MTX subs in my last stang. But I am thinking I want to do a single 10 with dual 8's up front. I dunno.

Also, with the 8's in the doors....6.5" components probably wont sound as good as 5.25's. I would think a 1" tweeter, 5.25" mid, and 8" low would sound about right...wouldn't you?

I will look in to those Polk speakers. I have been looking at the Premium series for MB Quart. I don't want something that is "tinny". hmmm..
You can't go wrong with the 8" JL's. They have some nice punch to them. Just go with what you said and you will have a pretty good sounding system. Make sure you use a good crossover setup, that way everything will be set properly and you won't end up with any dead spots.
Old 1/11/05, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 11, 2005, 3:00 PM
Bash the shaker 1000 all ya want....I don't care..I have enough trophies and prize money from stereo comps ..
I am not bashing the shaker 1000 at all. You said it was comparable to the flimsy AC delco unit in the 2000 Grand Prix. I for one thought the shaker 1000 is alot better and shouldn't be compared to that horrid ac delco unit.

With that said, since you say it's so profitable to enter into stereo competitions, why don't you just add an aftermarket system and make more money in that field ? It would seem like a great investment, and you would have a much better ( and reliable) system to boot.. If I am not mistaken (in another thread) you said you have had some problems with the shaker 1000 ( including the head unit spitting out CD's, like the ac delco unit always does for the Pontiac) . :scratch:
Old 1/11/05, 07:12 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not bashing it either. It IS good for an factory system. But I also clarified WHY it isn't good enough for me. And it has nothing to do with "playing loud enough". I couldn't care less about SPL. I'm after great SQL and the factory speakers (and I am talking about ALL the speakers in the car, not just the subs) are NOT good enough FOR ME. I thought I explained WHY that was in an earlier post as well.

I do understand the desire not to have to screw with it as well. Time is not free. And at times, I DO get tired of twisting my way into some tight spot in the car to run wires or attach components. Other times, it is a LOT of fun as well.

So for all you folks wanting to upgrade the factory system, I say go out and have a blast! For those folks not wanting to mess with it, enjoy the factory system. It's a good system for a factory job.

SurfNSoCal,

You might be right about the 5 1/4s. I will sit down and take a close look at the response curves of the varous speakers before I make up my mind. It would DEFINITELY be easier to go with 5 1/4 components instead of the 6 1/2 jobs.
Old 1/13/05, 09:15 PM

I apologize for butting in with a question that is a little off topic, but it is SHAKER 1,000 related. Can anyone advise how to get the " TEXT " button to display something other than " CD NO TEXT "? I've tried this with a number of new CD's purchased over Xmas, and all the same. Thanx. :bang: :bang:
Old 1/13/05, 09:21 PM
Banned

Wow this topic went a little off course

On Ford Canada's site they list 6 speakers for the S500 and 9 for the S1000.

6 Speakers makes sense, but 9 for the S1000? They count each woofer as a speaker I'm guessing but where is the ninth?

Thanks