2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Shaker 500 vs 1000

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/05, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi all,

I think I'll end up buying in Canada (I still have to research importing etc..) But in Canada the GT comes standard with the Shaker 500. And the 1000 is an $19xx option..

Now from what I've read it comes with 2 more speakers (the subs in the trunk). And it says "Audiopile speakers". Are the speakers better ? IE are the 500 speakers paper cones and 1000 plastic/composite material ??

Or is the only difference more wattage in the 1000 ?

I tried the search but it didn't turn up anything..

Thanks,

Ben
Old 1/10/05, 11:24 AM
Cobra Member

1000 has subs in the trunk. To be honest, sorry to offend alot of people here but you would be stupid to spend 19XX on a stock system. Get aftermarket.
Old 1/10/05, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I dunno if the speakers are better or not. However, if you choose to go with the Shaker 1000, here's a hint that will save you a little money.

Instead of ordering a GT Premium (which comes with the Shaker 500 standard), order a GT Deluxe (which comes with the base CD player standard). Order the optional leather seats and Shaker 1000 with the GT Deluxe. If you add it up, you'll notice it saves you some dough.
Old 1/10/05, 11:41 AM
Banned

Yea GT Premium vs GT Deluxe doesn't exist in canada. What is the stock CD player like ? Just normal CD player with Radio? 4 speakers? As I see in the US it's a $600 Option (Which in Canada I can't avoid it) It's a alot easier to install aftermarket if the holes already exist (which is what I did in my Taurus)

My feeling is after market is probably the way to go. I have a RioCar (not known to many that a Tuner etc.. with 70GB of drive space) That would look sweet in the 'stang!
Old 1/10/05, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Fastrack@January 10, 2005, 12:23 PM
Hi all,

I think I'll end up buying in Canada (I still have to research importing etc..) But in Canada the GT comes standard with the Shaker 500. And the 1000 is an $19xx option..

Now from what I've read it comes with 2 more speakers (the subs in the trunk). And it says "Audiopile speakers". Are the speakers better ? IE are the 500 speakers paper cones and 1000 plastic/composite material ??

Or is the only difference more wattage in the 1000 ?

I tried the search but it didn't turn up anything..

Thanks,

Ben

AHEM , people don't know this but you are paying $765 for the shaker 500 in Canada.. I have the dealer price list, a salesman gave it to me

Somewhere along in there, there is a $765 add-on, that's for the shaker 500. If you don't want the shaker 500, you can order another mustang and $765 will come off the car.

Been to over 6 dealers and they all said the same thing
Old 1/10/05, 12:39 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fastrack@January 10, 2005, 12:44 PM
Yea GT Premium vs GT Deluxe doesn't exist in canada. What is the stock CD player like ? Just normal CD player with Radio? 4 speakers? As I see in the US it's a $600 Option (Which in Canada I can't avoid it) It's a alot easier to install aftermarket if the holes already exist (which is what I did in my Taurus)

My feeling is after market is probably the way to go. I have a RioCar (not known to many that a Tuner etc.. with 70GB of drive space) That would look sweet in the 'stang!
If you are someone who is into the aftermarket thing and don;t mind either doing it yourself or having someone else do it, then I'd say go aftermarket.

if you want things simple and not have to worry about the stereo at all (IE - get the car and just GO), certain headunits with issues aside, I think the 1000 is a darn good stock system sound-wise - and most magazine reviewers of the car say the same thing. I listen to alot of music with cool bass guitar lines and double kick drums so the sub box in the trunk REALLY makes the system. And with how much wattage the thing put out, you can cruise at like 70 with the windows down, have your tunes cranking crystal clear at a level loud enough to hear clearly over the wind, and NOT be bleeding from the ears. (don't think I've taken my volume level above 3/4s up and that time was with a real old album that was recorded at a much lower sound level).

Plus there are little options on there that I like too - the speed volume, ability to shut the sub box down when you want, and the ability to customize the speakers depending on how many passengers you have in the car.

As far as sound quality goes, I think the Shaker is pretty darn good.
Old 1/10/05, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Burke0011+January 10, 2005, 1:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Burke0011 @ January 10, 2005, 1:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fastrack@January 10, 2005, 12:44 PM

If you are someone who is into the aftermarket thing and don;t mind either doing it yourself or having someone else do it, then I'd say go aftermarket.

if you want things simple and not have to worry about the stereo at all (IE - get the car and just GO), certain headunits with issues aside, I think the 1000 is a darn good stock system sound-wise - and most magazine reviewers of the car say the same thing. I listen to alot of music with cool bass guitar lines and double kick drums so the sub box in the trunk REALLY makes the system. And with how much wattage the thing put out, you can cruise at like 70 with the windows down, have your tunes cranking crystal clear at a level loud enough to hear clearly over the wind, and NOT be bleeding from the ears. (don't think I've taken my volume level above 3/4s up and that time was with a real old album that was recorded at a much lower sound level).

Plus there are little options on there that I like too - the speed volume, ability to shut the sub box down when you want, and the ability to customize the speakers depending on how many passengers you have in the car.

As far as sound quality goes, I think the Shaker is pretty darn good. [/b][/quote]

Yea but the point is, you can get a much better aftermarket system for the $2k cost of the shaker 1000 .. For instance, get an in-dash DVD / LCD screen with navigation. That part alone can be had for 900 bucks.

Much more bang for the buck by going aftermarket. And, have an even better sounding system with more "reliability" to boot.. Can't beat it, not even with a stick .
Old 1/10/05, 12:52 PM
V6 Member

Only difference is the sub in the trunk. Go with the shaker 500! Anoter difference with canadian stangs is that they come with a standard block heater.
Old 1/10/05, 12:54 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by Domainer+January 10, 2005, 1:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Domainer @ January 10, 2005, 1:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Burke0011@January 10, 2005, 1:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fastrack
@January 10, 2005, 12:44 PM

Yea but the point is, you can get a much better aftermarket system for the $2k cost of the shaker 1000 .. For instance, get an in-dash DVD / LCD screen with navigation. That part alone can be had for 900 bucks.

Much more bang for the buck by going aftermarket. And, have an even better sounding system with more "reliability" to boot.. Can't beat it, not even with a stick . [/b][/quote]
I understand that.

There are some people who don't wanna have to deal with having the installation of a new system done, etc...

All I'm saying is that for those people, the system sounds great.

(and personally, I have no kids or friends who want to watch movies in my car so the DVD player in the dash seems kinda silly - the nav systsem rocks though)
Old 1/10/05, 12:54 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Altoid@January 10, 2005, 12:27 PM
1000 has subs in the trunk. To be honest, sorry to offend alot of people here but you would be stupid to spend 19XX on a stock system. Get aftermarket.
Hi. My name is John. I am stupid and I like it
Old 1/10/05, 12:57 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Domainer@January 10, 2005, 12:52 PM
AHEM , people don't know this but you are paying $765 for the shaker 500 in Canada.. I have the dealer price list, a salesman gave it to me

Somewhere along in there, there is a $765 add-on, that's for the shaker 500. If you don't want the shaker 500, you can order another mustang and $765 will come off the car.

Been to over 6 dealers and they all said the same thing
Really? That is odd. The GT at the dealer that has the Shaker 500 shows $0.00 for the price of the option. Looked at the DORA and there is no charge for the Shaker 500.

However, if you get the V6 and want the Shaker 500 then yes, there is over a $700.00 charge.
Old 1/10/05, 12:57 PM
Cobra Member

With all those mods I would really think you would go aftermarket.
Old 1/10/05, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Burke0011+January 10, 2005, 1:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Burke0011 @ January 10, 2005, 1:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Domainer@January 10, 2005, 1:49 PM
Originally posted by Burke0011@January 10, 2005, 1:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fastrack
@January 10, 2005, 12:44 PM

Much more bang for the buck by going aftermarket. And, have an even better sounding system with more "reliability" to boot.. Can't beat it, not even with a stick .

(and personally, I have no kids or friends who want to watch movies in my car so the DVD player in the dash seems kinda silly - [/b][/quote]

I am not getting the in-dash DVD for movies, but rather concert videos . I think it adds a really cool dimension when you are blasting some pink floyd on your system and BAM ! They are right there on your in dash LCD screen as well.

Cool.
Old 1/10/05, 01:07 PM
Big Falken Tires

Dang - that IS cool - but that would just get me into trouble!!! :clown:

I'd have a concert DVD going, glance down, then suddenly realize I hadn't been watching the road for like two minutes solid - and suddenly go "Hmmm - wonder what that crunching noise was..."
Old 1/10/05, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Burke0011@January 10, 2005, 2:10 PM
Dang - that IS cool - but that would just get me into trouble!!! :clown:

I'd have a concert DVD going, glance down, then suddenly realize I hadn't been watching the road for like two minutes solid - and suddenly go "Hmmm - wonder what that crunching noise was..."
I am a little more responsible. I wait until I am at a red light to glance , and being in such a big city like Toronto, they are everywhere
Old 1/10/05, 01:23 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Altoid@January 10, 2005, 2:00 PM
With all those mods I would really think you would go aftermarket.
After 15 years of being in stereo competitions and spending over $25,000.00 in stereo crap per car I have given up all of that. I prefer something that is just there, already installed as I no longer have the time to mess around with it. Sure you can put in an amp and a sub that would sound just as good, if not better than the shaker 1000 but to do a nice, clean installation where the subs are tucked away to the side so you still have the same amount of trunk space as you do with the Shaker 1000 would take a lot of hours and materials to do it right. If I was going to do it, it would be right and cost a lot more than the shaker 1000 upgrade cost me.

Besides once I start there is no stopping me. I was looking at a Pioneer head unit that would run around the $2400.00 area and figured that if I put my own subs in there I would end up replacing the entire stereo and that is not something I want to do.

I am pretty happy with the Shaker 1000. Sure it is far far away from entering a competition but it has to be one of the best factory stereo's I have heard for that price. Kicks the crap out of the BOSE stereo that was in my 2000 Grand Prix GTP and sounds a lot better than a lot of aftermarket stuff I have heard that people spent $2,000.00 on. Remember, that is Canadian funds.
Old 1/10/05, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 10, 2005, 2:26 PM
. Kicks the crap out of the BOSE stereo that was in my 2000 Grand Prix GTP
That was an AC Delco head unit in that car. The most unreliable piece of crap ever created. Can't really compare with that one IMO .
Old 1/10/05, 01:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Domainer@January 10, 2005, 2:49 PM
Got a link?
Old 1/10/05, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 10, 2005, 2:26 PM
Kicks the crap out of the BOSE stereo that was in my 2000 Grand Prix GTP
"no highs or lows just bose."

But anyway, I can understand you are tired you do have some what of an reason not to want aftermarket. Just how good are you at that stuff? I really want to learn.
Old 1/10/05, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by DiamondBlue+January 10, 2005, 2:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DiamondBlue @ January 10, 2005, 2:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Domainer@January 10, 2005, 2:49 PM
Got a link? [/b][/quote]

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=13398

As swingle said in the other thread regarding this topic, there are plenty for sale on ebay between 850-900 or so, it can be had..

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 vs 1000