Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sequential VIN #'s, Build dates...

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/05, 11:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Reading here I see two thoughts on VIN#'s as related to build dates....

1) When vehicles get serialized, a VIN is assigned. A full VIN, including digits 12-17 which is the "Production Sequence Number." Right?

2) Build weeks get moved. Mine did, twice. Sometimes referred to as "Bumped."

So, my question is: If the "Production Sequence Number" (VIN digits 12-17) is assigned long before an ever-changing "Build Date" is assigned, is this REALLY a Production Sequence Number?? :scratch:

If this is true, my VIN (which I do not have) should be aligned with those produced week of April 25th since that was my original build week. But, I was bumped three times, once to May 2nd, then to May 9th and then back to May 2nd (and now shipped)

I would bet that then only TRUE "Sequential" part of this is the order in which they are serialized. Building order, I speculate, is based more on availability of parts, paint etc.

So probably the only way to test this theory would be to post some numbers as follows:

1) If you were serialized around 4/7/05 and maintained ONE build week of 4/25 AND your car was built that week, post your VIN digits 12-17 and indicate that your build date never changed and it was built week of 4/25.

2) If you were serialized around 4/7/05 AND originally assigned a build week of 4/25 AND your car was built on a DIFFERENT week, post your VIN digits 12-17 and indicate the build date changes.

Keep VIN posts simple so somebody (me) can easily collect and compare numbers and possibly establish a trend.....Maybe add GT or V6 and major options.

I bet we will see a pattern. It can't be all that random, but then what the heck do I know??

Any thoughts?
Old 5/7/05, 05:00 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Vehicles are not produced in VIN order.
Old 6/23/05, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@May 7, 2005, 5:03 AM
Vehicles are not produced in VIN order.

Understood. Is there a number we can call, or a website we can inquire to, that will tell us exactly when, and in what order our car was built?

a) Are they not releasing the number of the first production vehicle (non-test mule) for financial reasons?

B) Did they take any of the test mules that met final specs and re-do them? :scratch:

c) Did they keep track of which cars were built first?

Thanks in advance,
Old 6/23/05, 02:37 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ford doesn't keep up with production order. They have no use for the information. The first production unit probably went to Bill Ford.
Old 1/19/06, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Where are the sequential numbers in the vin? At the end? In the middle? How many digits of the vin are for serial #?

i.e. - is it the last 5, 6 7 numbers?

Thanks.
Old 1/19/06, 10:37 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by DozerzPony@January 19, 2006, 1:08 PM
Where are the sequential numbers in the vin? At the end? In the middle? How many digits of the vin are for serial #?

i.e. - is it the last 5, 6 7 numbers?

Thanks.

the last 6 digits are the ones that are like the "serial number" of your car. again, not production sequence, as they don't get produced always when they're planned to be...
Old 7/20/06, 10:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Along this same line, the GT/CS is rumored to be limited to 8750 cars. How do they keep track, how do we know what # our car is, and does any one else besides my self really care? LOL