2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

See Ya

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/08, 12:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all comes down to dealer experience...

I had a 1999 Contour SVT - absolutely great car with zero problems save one. In 2001 at around 28,000 miles it started making this clicking sound from the top end, it sounded like it was coming from the valve train. I took it into my local Ford dealer for regular service and had them check it out. I expected something like a valve adjustment would fix the problem. When I picked up the car at the end of the day they told me they knew what the issue was. A TSB mentioned that early Duratec 2.5 V6 SVT engines would experience oil starvation to the top end under hard cornering, which over time, could result in this symptom. There was no remedy mentioned in the TSB. My dealer worked with Ford and got me a new engine under warranty. The next month while I was away on vacation they swapped engines with a brand new 2001 model on which the starvation issue had been fixed. Needless to say they earned a customer for life.

Martin
Old 1/18/08, 01:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, to each their own. Good Luck with your new toy. Won't be as much fun modding out though. My 05 V6 was a tad of a lemon too. BUT, I realized any car can be a lemon, and they are few and far between. When I decided to rid myself of the problems, a GT was the answer. Never doubted the Mustang's themselves. They alway's have been, and alway's will be an American Icon. Oh, one other thought, good luck getting parts for it. Ta-Ta
Old 1/18/08, 02:27 PM

Sorry to hear or your car troubles... I had an issue with my 2008 Mustang GT too. A fitting on the cross-over tube broke loose and I dumped all my coolant. This was with 191 miles on the odometer. The Ford dealer servicing it had a new part from the factory and had it back together in 36 hours. The Romeo engine plant was even involved at one point (the customer service manager at the dealership had a conference call with 2 managers and an engineer). The customer service manager gave me a very detailed explanation of why the part failed, what happened, and why the new part won't fail. I had a free loaner the whole time. Ford corporate extened my warranty on the powertrain to 5 years 100,000 miles for FREE, no questions asked. No problems since then.

My previous car was a 2002 Honda Civic purchased brand new. By the time it had 35,000 miles on it, it had already spent over 20 total days at the dealership for warranty work. The manual transmission had to be comopletely rebuilt (lost 3rd and 4th gear synchros). This took two weeks and I was not given a loaner. After the rebuild, it would grind and crunch when I shifted - took it to 3 different dealers and they said it was normal. The car never held an alignment more than 3,000 or 4,000 miles and at 30,000 miles the struts were completely shot (quoted $1,300 to replace - not covered under warranty). The engine would cut out everytime I shifted below 3,000 rpms (Service Department said they couldn't duplicate it, even though they were riding in the car when I showed them this), and the clutch started slipping at 60,000 miles. That's when I traded it in. I've talked several family members out of buying a Honda since then.
Old 1/18/08, 11:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why do some of the boneheads on this site feel compelled to bash the guy?? I don't get it.

I love my car, but want to kill my dealer, and every other domestic dealer. Frankly, the looks and american V8 grunt are the only thing keeping me out of a 335i at this point...

I seriously doubt I will ever buy another american car again, aside from perhaps more muscle cars, just because of their raw appeal. The quality of the vehicles themselves is sh^t and the service and attitude at american dealers is well below acceptable levels of bullsh^t.

The quality of the veihicles is eons ahead of what it was 10 years ago and it's still 2 decades behind any other japanese or euro brand.

If the raw sex apeal of the cars didn't suck me in, there is no way I would have bought this car based on the other products Ford produces (crap).

I'm not limited to just ford though, I've got a Chevy SUV and have the same problems. POS vehicle and absolutely horrific service at every dealer I have gone to...

My next purchase will be a family mobile, and will definitely not be a domestic POS that I can count on to be reliable for at best only 25,000 miles and then be sure to enjoy years of service nightmares!

The S2K is a sweet car and probably much more fun (and as$loads more reliable and trustworthy) than an S197 V6.

I love my car and would buy another one, but i don't blame you at all.
Old 1/19/08, 01:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by futuresvt
The quality of the vehicles themselves is sh^t and the service and attitude at american dealers is well below acceptable levels of bullsh^t.

The quality of the veihicles is eons ahead of what it was 10 years ago and it's still 2 decades behind any other japanese or euro brand.

If the raw sex apeal of the cars didn't suck me in, there is no way I would have bought this car based on the other products Ford produces (crap).

I bet that's why Ford was ranked higher in quality in a vehicle-by-vehicle study than any other car manufacturer. It's also a known fact of the electrical problems that plague many European cars. They're the ones that are behind us in terms of technology.

Have fun with the S2000. Definitely not something I would buy, but if you like it, that's all that matters.
Old 1/19/08, 01:42 AM
Cobra Member

The reason people are bashing the guy is because this is a Mustang site and a s197 specific forum, the very car he is calling a "POS". So it's only natural for people to take it a little personal.

That said, I have not been entirely happy with my dealership experiance. Other than that the car itself has been great. I had the strut problems which was fixed in 2005. Since then no problems at all.

I am curious why the poster didn't origionaly buy a GT? Your trading in a $19k v6 stang for a $32k S2k.

You have to learn to drive those s2k's, it's odd haveing no ***** unless you keep it above 5k rpms, but they are really fun cars.

Enjoy.
Old 1/19/08, 03:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nynvolt
The reason people are bashing the guy is because this is a Mustang site and a s197 specific forum, the very car he is calling a "POS". So it's only natural for people to take it a little personal.
I think he was referring to his own lemon vehicle as a POS, not the Mustang as a model.
Old 1/19/08, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man I agrre with you 100% on the dealership front. they are absolute a$$h***s and liars. they will find every excuse to not cover something under warranty. they all have chips on there shoulders, and they will do ne thing to get you in acar but after that your on your own. Want proof I was sure I was going to buy a stang but got such bad service from every ford dealer that I was just about ready to give up. Found a stang in mint condition at a BMW thats right a BMW dealership. great service great price, even threw in free snow tires. Is it not said that it took a BMW dealer to gimme proper service so that I could buy a stang
Old 1/19/08, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't get where you guys are coming from that say he's getting bashed. Read through this entire thread from the begining, all but three or four posts say things like "sorry", "that's too bad", "good luck" etc. and the negative ones aren't really all that scathing. More bashing of ricers than a personal attack, and I'll bet the posts are right about on par with what he expected to hear. We all do what we do for our own reasons and there's gonna be people that sell their stangs and move on. That's OK.
As far as the quality of the american cars, it's right up there, just make sure you compare apples to apples, don't put a 20K Focus up to a 60K Lexus. Buick for example is consistantly ranked in the top five for reliability.
Old 1/19/08, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Cheese302
my stang has been awesome, but i would take an s2k over a 6 banger s197 any day of the week. I am very willing to bet almost every one of you who trashed his honda have never driven one. I have, and absolutely love that car. I hope to someday have a 2000 white/ red leather s2k in the garage next to my gt. oh the perfect world. GL with the new car check out a couple forums for good advise on mods for it. i know a few sites send me a pm and i'll point you in a good direction.
Well, with regards to your comments, I live with a woman that has a Honda. Her two boys have Hondas. She is always trying to tell me how powerful her car is. I've driven it a few times. Too me its just a souped up lawn mover with four wheels. It definitely does not have the same power has the Mustang yes it has get up an go but not the same power or acceleration. What is interesting is that her two boys have Hondas....now one of them wants a Mustang after having drivien mine (with me in the other seat of course). Pam's whole Honda concept is that "Well Honda's retain their value!" and that might be but they do not perform the same as the Mustang.

As for the fellow that trade his Mustang for a s2k, he should have realized that the Mustang can be repaired at any Ford facility, so if he was having problem with the three dealerships owned by the same family then he should have taken the Mustang to another Ford facillity that is not connected to the one (s) he was dealing with. Should be a no brainer.

We have Ford Dealerships in Edmonton that I would not go near. We even have one where the sale personnal have been charged with false advertising when you get these hints in the news media its time to stay away from such dealerships. I realize this last paragraph is off topic but I think you get my general drift.
Old 1/19/08, 10:41 AM
V6 Member

Hi Guys an Gals.

Just thought I would clarify a few things.

1. I don't dislike the Mustang. Nothing wrong with the V6, I loved it. If it worked well, I'd still have it. It just had too many problems, some major ones all 3 local dealers refused to repair (engine intermittantly idles up to 2,500 on it's own. Engine intermittantly does not idle down from as high as 2,000 when in gear - fun stuff on icy roads and lastly a transmission that often will not go into gear, and shifts poorly at best). These are just the unresolved issues. I had to take it back 3 times to get the rear bumper from popping out all the time.

2. I live on Vancouver Island, an island the size of Lake Ontario in the Pacific Northwest. Yes, I can try a 4th Ford dealer for help, but they are over an hour away, and over a small mountain (carry chains in the winter the sign says).

3. Yes, I could harp on Ford corporate to possibly get satisfaction. But how do you think I'll be treated when I have to return for the next issue after having to rat them out to Ford to get satisfaction. Would you be worried about what happens to your ride while they have it after calling Ford corporate on them...

4. I've got better things to do than to constantly have to fight to get my car serviced. I don't need the aggrivation. I'd rather be relaxing, driving a cool car.

Is any machine perfect > no, of course not.
Will stuff break > of course it will, on any car.

I'm not dissing Ford owners, you all seem like fine folks. I'm not dissing the car it's self (although you have to admit, quality could use an improvement). Personally, I think a white GT/CS convertible is just about one of the hottest looking rides on the road today - IMO.

Life's just too short to deal with the BS I've had to deal with over the past year.

It's how you are treated and how the issues are resolved that makes the difference.

Mike
Old 1/19/08, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I've got 9,000 miles on my car since September. no issues.
Good Luck on the S2000. I'm too tall for cars that size.
Old 1/19/08, 01:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
I bet that's why Ford was ranked higher in quality in a vehicle-by-vehicle study than any other car manufacturer. It's also a known fact of the electrical problems that plague many European cars. They're the ones that are behind us in terms of technology.

Have fun with the S2000. Definitely not something I would buy, but if you like it, that's all that matters.

I would have to believe that the study you speak of is in "initial quality". There is no way I would rather drive a Taurus with over 100K on it than an Accord with over 100K. Plain and simple.

I bought my GT because of the looks, power, and modding. We've also got a 2000 Civic, 99 Accord, and 08 CR-V. I know when I wake up in the morning that the Civic or Accord (each with over 100K on them) is gonna start right up. Even tomorrow morning when it is 0 outside. I've owned American cars over the years and have never felt as confident in them as I do in my Hondas. Quality, good service, and most importantly, reliability.
Old 1/20/08, 03:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by futuresvt
.... (and as$loads more reliable and trustworthy) than an S197 V6.

How does two less cylinders make the mustang unreliable?
Old 1/21/08, 02:38 AM
GT Member

Ford has got to lose a ton of sales on their sh!tty customer service alone.. not that GM is any better though :-X
Old 1/21/08, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Deric

How does two less cylinders make the mustang unreliable?
Two less cylinders just makes the engine lighter (yet still nearly as powerful!). Being a Ford makes it unreliable!
Old 1/21/08, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Some dealers just don't get it!