2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

See Ya

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/08, 10:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See Ya

Well, after owning my Mustang for just over a year, I've had enough of the BS from 3 local Ford dealers (all owned by the same family).

Yesterday I traded my POS in for a Honda S2000.

I'll now no longer have to keep taking my car back for the same problems only to be told:

that's normal
they all do that
we don't see anything unusual
it's how you drive
we won't even look at it because Ford won't pay us

Ya
When your transmission won't go into gear
When your car consistantly revs over 2,000rpm on it's own (and you use their "flight box" to show them - and they say "we see nothing unusual")
When you have to take your car back 3 times to get the bumper to stop popping out
and on and on....

You tend to throw in the towel.

Too bad, because these cars are awesome looking. If only they ran as good as their looks, were designed better and had a dealer network with a backbone things would be cool.

Mike
Old 1/17/08, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow sorry to hear that man. I hope you filled out all the dealership surveys so they get a bad report. That stuff goes to head office and they get in crap. (or so I've been told)
Old 1/18/08, 02:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F150ATM
Too bad, because these cars are awesome looking. If only they ran as good as their looks...
They don't??? I think mine runs pretty darn good. Sure that S2000 is light, but the torque is lacking a bit to make it competitive in a straight line with a standard GT. Throw in some hills and corners and you would have a race though.

No love lost though. If you didn't love the 'Stang enough to take it to a dealer that would actually take the time to help you, then the 'Stang really wasn't in the right hands anyway. Sure you took it to 3 different dealers, but they were all run by the same group of idiots. Might as well stick to 1 idiot dealership. Anyway, good luck with the big R/C car.
Old 1/18/08, 02:52 AM
Cobra Member

What can I say you got rid of your mustang for a rice burner, not something I would do but each to his own.
Old 1/18/08, 02:56 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enjoy your S2k. Hopefully you have more luck with vehicles in the future. Just try not to bash every Mustang you see out there. Some were just built better than others.
Old 1/18/08, 04:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget your coffee can tailpipe and shopping cart wing......enjoy!!!!!
Old 1/18/08, 05:06 AM
GT Member

ill know its you coming when i hear that p!SSed off weed eater sound coming....lol. good luck with the rice!!
Old 1/18/08, 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

When I read threads like this, it makes me appreciate how lucky I have been with mine. I have had no issues to speak of and would not trade my Pony for a brand new ANYTHING else...

Too bad he didn't just swap for a different Pony...
Old 1/18/08, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Trust me Mike, you are very much in the minority. Absoloutly no issues with mine. You should have found another dealer who would get things right, or fliled on the lemon law, or you could have traded it in on another one at a diferent dealer. These are awsome cars. The prodution and sales numbers bare that out. Sorry for your experience though, and good luck with your new car. As a side note; my wife was convinced by a friend that Toyota was the only cars worth buying so she talked me into buying her a new '02 celica. What a POS! Whenever I see that friend (who doesn't like Fords BTW), I love to tell him about my F150 that has 106K flawless miles on it!
Old 1/18/08, 06:34 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck. Fortunately your experience is one of the few out there like it (unfortunate for you that is). As others said, hopefully you don't think all mustangs are problematic like the one you had but I think part of the problem is the dealers you had to deal with.
Old 1/18/08, 06:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hang on here. If you have owned a '06 for a little over a year, and it has body side moldings, which I thought were fleet sales only, this suggests that you bought a used ex-rental car?

Or were those available in Canada?

Sorry to here this. My 2006 Pony which I ordered very early in the model year has been one of the most trouble free cars I have ever owned. That list includes German and Japanese imports, too.
Old 1/18/08, 06:46 AM
GT Member

I guess this will be a reminder to anyone else.Since its to late for you.

You should have got ahold of Ford customer service after the first dealership couldn't fix it...They would have contacted the dealer to find out why they couldn't fit your concern.

Good luck the the Honda.
Old 1/18/08, 07:23 AM
Bullitt Member

don't bash the guy - honestly i'd probably prefer an s2000 over a v6 'stang. just my opinion.
Old 1/18/08, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
They don't??? I think mine runs pretty darn good. Sure that S2000 is light, but the torque is lacking a bit to make it competitive in a straight line with a standard GT. Throw in some hills and corners and you would have a race though.

No love lost though. If you didn't love the 'Stang enough to take it to a dealer that would actually take the time to help you, then the 'Stang really wasn't in the right hands anyway. Sure you took it to 3 different dealers, but they were all run by the same group of idiots. Might as well stick to 1 idiot dealership. Anyway, good luck with the big R/C car.
I think he had the V6 Mustang. So his S2000 is a pretty big performance upgrade for him. It also sounds like he got a lemon, and had a poor dealer to boot.
Old 1/18/08, 07:58 AM

Its a shame that you had to go through this because there are good cars out there, mine is one of them, 21k miles and not one problem. That is not what I would have done, but S2000s are quick cars so have fun with it.
Old 1/18/08, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Bye-bye seeee ya!! Naw man, you did what you had to do is all. The S2K woundn't have been my choice because it's too small. People get rid of these cars every day... Just not us. Anyway, enjoy your new ride.
Old 1/18/08, 09:03 AM
V6 Member

I agree, its unfortunate that you had such a poor experience with your stang, but i wouldnt condemn all stangs due to one rotten apple, ive had my calstang for just under a year with 13k and no issues whatsoever to this date. Anyhow enjoy the Honda.
Old 1/18/08, 09:09 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crucut
Trust me Mike, you are very much in the minority.
Yuo never heard of anything like that...
Old 1/18/08, 09:14 AM
Cobra R Member

my stang has been awesome, but i would take an s2k over a 6 banger s197 any day of the week. I am very willing to bet almost every one of you who trashed his honda have never driven one. I have, and absolutely love that car. I hope to someday have a 2000 white/ red leather s2k in the garage next to my gt. oh the perfect world. GL with the new car check out a couple forums for good advise on mods for it. i know a few sites send me a pm and i'll point you in a good direction.
Old 1/18/08, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting.... all three of mine have had no problems to even mention, except maybe one leaky rear shock. However, I do have a story to share about an acquaintence of mine that did have unusual problems....

Rob bought a new '06 GT. Within months, electrical gremlins began playing with his car. Symptoms such as the alarm going off while driving, not being able to start the engine, exterior lights flashing ramdomly, etc.... Rob took the car in to have it looked at. Several parts were replaced but the problems continued. Upon returning the car, the dealership told him they wanted to keep it for "a while". He did get a free loaner car. After SIX MONTHS, he received a call from the dealership, asking him to stop by. The service manager explained to him that they can not diagnose the car. He was offered a dollar for dollar buyback. This was late 2006. Rob said that he'd be interested in an '07 GT500 but asserted to the service manager that there probably is a waiting list a mile long and that there would be no realistic way he could get one. Rob wanted confirmation of this. The manager concurred but told Rob he would try to "pull some strings". The conclusion: Rob now drives a white/blue '07 GT500.....