2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

RT 66 cruise Memorial Weekend (CA/AZ)

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/10, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RT 66 cruise Memorial Weekend (CA/AZ)

This cruise is on again for this year. Me and one of the guys from blackmustangclub are getting it together. He already has a thread going on BMC with about 10-12 people very interested. This was a phenomenal cruise last year. Will be starting in Victorville the morning of Saturday the 29th ending in Williams, AZ that night. Visiting the GC sunday and driving back either sunday night or monday. There was only one section we found last year that was really bad to drive, so it will be replaced by the I-40. But almost 90% of the trip will be along the 66. If you never driven the 66, you are in for a treat. Crazy little towns and sights along the way and a vibe that I have never felt on any other road. Not to mention the mountain pass through Oatman, AZ. This will be remembered as one of my favorites.

Here are the maps we used last year and will probably use again.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-3zOkDMqkKToX
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-7rLx
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-Qb5Q

cruise pics from last year

http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...ruise/?start=0

and video leaving Oatman going up and out of the pass

http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...ngOatmanAZ.flv

Old 1/7/10, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks fun. Maybe I can work a cruz in with one of my Az excursions this year.
Old 1/8/10, 07:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Memorial weekend is great since its a three day for most. Plus the weather is usually pretty good at the Canyon. Not to hot yet, and the drive there is beautiful.
Old 1/8/10, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I usually do 66 at least from Goffs to the 97 on my way to Laughlin. Last trip I did the 66 from Kingman on up to Siegleman. I did the 66 once from Barstow to Victorville ditching some oppressive LA going home from Lost Wages traffic one time. Never been on the 66 where it mostly parallels the 40 Between Barstow and Goffs though. I am usually doing between 80 to 90 with the Cruise Control set along that stretch. Its a big stretch of nothing without much traffic is why I suppose.
Old 1/8/10, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That looks fantastic... I am very interested...
Old 1/9/10, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

My usual AZ run is Santa Barbara to Laughlin, Nevada where I get a River Front Suite for 60 bucks. Pay & Play (pay mostly) for the evening then shove off in the morning up the 163 towards Kingman where I intercept the 40 (or the 66).
I talked to the wife, she says it would be fun to cruise with other Mustangs so she wants to come if we can work it out.
Old 1/9/10, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 69CaliStang
That looks fantastic... I am very interested...
Originally Posted by Cusp
My usual AZ run is Santa Barbara to Laughlin, Nevada where I get a River Front Suite for 60 bucks. Pay & Play (pay mostly) for the evening then shove off in the morning up the 163 towards Kingman where I intercept the 40 (or the 66).
I talked to the wife, she says it would be fun to cruise with other Mustangs so she wants to come if we can work it out.
Sweet, you can follow more closely on blackmustangclub.com. Go the the west section then future events. Paulthreestang and I are putting it together. We only had three cars last year. Hopefully this year we can get closer to a dozen. We might skip the section south of the 40 around Bagdad and Ludlow. Drove that last year and it was very rough and out of the way. Here is the thread on BMC. The more the merrier

http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=60793
Old 1/31/10, 02:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well here is the proposal for the trip. Meeting in Victorville at the RT 66 Museum (16825 D St). Access to parking is from the alley off 5th or 6th streets. Unfortunatly the museum doesnt open till 10, but this should free up parking and make it easy for us to leave on schedule. Depart at 8:00. Stop at the bottle tree farm for a few minutes and some photos then off to Barstow. Stop in Ludlow (#7 as Ragtown) for stretch and snack. Stop for lunch in Oatman around 1:00. Stop just outside of Oatman for a photo shot on the mountain. Stop in Kingman at one of the larger museums dedicated to 66. Then to Seligman for dinner, recommend the Road Kill Cafe and the Snow Cap for dessert. Finally to Williams for the night.

Gas is availible in Ludlow, Needles and Topock. I have found out that the really rough section was between Newberry Springs and Ludlow. This is the section we will bypass. The section between Ludlow and Essex (all south of I-40) has some rough spots but is very drivable and one of the most popular sections of 66. A number of films were shot on this section. Along the long stretch after Amboy heading N.E. people line the roadside with their names with whatever they can. Some what of a tradition for travellers. The section from Topock out past Seligman when we meet back with I-40 is the longest, continuous paved strectch of 66 left in the country.

Im using mappoint for the maps right now, so if anyone is familiar with this and knows how I can post it as an interactive map on the web let me know. I am also trying to make one using google maps that I can send to my droid. Or I may borrow a Garmin style from someone so I can download it that way.
Attached Thumbnails RT 66 cruise Memorial Weekend (CA/AZ)-rt-66-map.jpg  
Old 3/3/10, 07:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

you guys still down for this? Might be getting a group rate at a local hotel.
Old 3/7/10, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are in Kingman and might know a few who would like to join the Kingman to Seligman leg
Old 3/7/10, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ETNOATS
you guys still down for this? Might be getting a group rate at a local hotel.
Right now my plan is to meet up in Victorville in the morning. Cruise with the group up as far as Ash fork then split off for Prescott. Picked up a FRS/GMRS walkie.
Whats up with the BMCforums web site. Its been down for "maintenance" for weeks now.
Old 3/8/10, 07:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by donj63
We are in Kingman and might know a few who would like to join the Kingman to Seligman leg
You should talk them into meeting us at the boarder and cruising through Oatman also. One of the coolest sections of the trip. The road surface isn't great, but the twisties are AMAZING!!!

Originally Posted by Cusp
Right now my plan is to meet up in Victorville in the morning. Cruise with the group up as far as Ash fork then split off for Prescott. Picked up a FRS/GMRS walkie.
Whats up with the BMCforums web site. Its been down for "maintenance" for weeks now.
I think they moved to a new server. Here is the new link.

http://www.blackmustangclub.com/content/forum.php

Last edited by ETNOATS; 3/8/10 at 07:52 AM.
Old 3/8/10, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

The link worked. Thanks.
Odd going on a cruise with the black mustang club in a white stang.
Old 3/8/10, 10:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

We wont be the only non black cars. Last year Paulthreestang drove his orange Shelby GT. 69CaliStang on here has a blue one. My wife might drive her silver contour SVT, plus a couple guys from Socalstangs, maybe another contour from contour.org. I will be happy if we can get over 10 cars. That will make an awesome video.
Old 3/8/10, 11:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am still interested... I will need to confirm the dates and will let you know... I might need to have my own schedule though so I might not sign up for the group rate.
Old 3/8/10, 11:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ETNOATS
We wont be the only non black cars. Last year Paulthreestang drove his orange Shelby GT. 69CaliStang on here has a blue one. My wife might drive her silver contour SVT, plus a couple guys from Socalstangs, maybe another contour from contour.org. I will be happy if we can get over 10 cars. That will make an awesome video.

A very awesome video!!!
Old 3/10/10, 12:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 69CaliStang
I am still interested... I will need to confirm the dates and will let you know... I might need to have my own schedule though so I might not sign up for the group rate.
No worries, keep us posted. There are a couple people making just part of the trip. Again I reccomend the AZ boarder to Kingman section, a blast to drive, best bang for the buck so to say.
Old 3/21/10, 09:56 AM

Greetings all, if some of you didnt know there is also a Route 66 Fun Run in the first week of May..here is a link
http://www.azrt66.com/index.html
Old 3/21/10, 10:29 AM

There is a Mustang group here that would love to join in on this,some will probably join up at Topock and the others in Kingman, being a P.E.R from the Elks Lodge here I can probably get some kind of discount/special on a quick breakfast-lunch-libation meet/happy hour, also if there will be a overnight stay a break on hotel rooms
Old 3/21/10, 11:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the link Don. Keep us posted, check out the thread on black mustang club. Thats where most of the planning is going on. The link is in post twelve.

Quick Reply: RT 66 cruise Memorial Weekend (CA/AZ)