2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Rousted by the Man

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/07, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rousted by the Man

I was driving to work this morning in a school zone (under 20 MPH). I saw a Deputy Sheriff on the other side of the road waiting for speeders. A mini van shot past me in the left lane at about 50 MPH, The deputy pulled a U-turn, hits the Mars Lights, but instead of going after the Soccer Mom, he pulls me over. I hand my license, registration and insurance card to him when he gets to the window. He takes a cursory look and asks “Do you know why I pulled you over sir?” I’m wondering if some idiot just robbed a bank and is using a Torch Red 2005 Mustang GT with White Le Mans Stripes as a getaway car. Knowing that being a smart A** is not the best idea when dealing with young cops, I said No, Deputy, I don’t know.” He then proceeds to tell me that my “Glass Packs” are too loud. I explained that I don’t have Glass Packs, only Flow M asters (I didn’t tell him the model is called American Thunder, because I didn’t think he needed that additional bit of information. If you have noise level monitor you will see these are well below the 95db legal limit.

He then asks me if this car is sprayed. I asked if it’s illegal to run NO2 on the street in Tennessee, and he said yes. I then asked if the legislature passed that law the same time they did the one that permits you to keep your road kill. (So much for not being a smart A**). I can see that this deputy in not in the mood for humor, but all I can think of is “I’ve got socks that are older than this kid.” He asks to look under the hood and seemed disappointed when he didn’t find a NO2 connection. I knew he was now looking for anything to write me on, but since I’m 100% legal, I couldn’t resist asking him, “Well son, are you satisfied or do you want to look in the trunk to see if I have any dead bodies?” Yeah, he made me open the trunk and then he looked through my bag of detailing supplies. Having failed to find the decomposed remains victim, or Columbian blow that I was trafficking, he handed me back my license and told me I could be on my way.

As he was walking back to his cruiser, I called out his name (No I don’t know him, they all wear a nametags over their right pocket). When he turned around, I said in my most sarcastic tone “You have a nice day, Deputy.” He followed me for several blocks before returning to his assigned post by the school.

I found the whole episode amusing. As a former police officer and a lawyer, I fell safe in saying the deputy had no probable cause for the traffic stop, he was just profiling, and as anyone that has been stopped can tell you that’s just wrong. Word to the wise, if you’re driving a modified muscle car don’t be surprised if you are stopped and rousted by the Man.
Old 8/30/07, 02:30 PM

Ha happens to me all the time and my car is probably too loud. Glad he didn't give you a ticket, I always seem to get one.
Old 8/30/07, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW, Way to go!!!
Can't ticket what is not there.
Old 8/30/07, 02:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet!
Old 8/30/07, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

If I get pulled Im pretty much screwed. Im running o/r pipes in Taxachusetts and they are pretty strict on emmissions. Eventually it will happen, but Im hoping they wont know/care. The raw gas smell is the only real giveaway
Old 8/30/07, 04:36 PM
GTR Member

Now you're gonna get members that are cops start lecturing and give you the whole schpeel about respect and how officers really don't do that..I know better though..Glad you knew your rights
Old 8/30/07, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tennessee Nitrous Oxide: The Tennessee Legislature withdrew legislation to prohibit the highway use of a vehicle equipped to supply nitrous oxide to the engine unless the system is made inoperative by disconnecting the line feeding nitrous oxide; removing the containers from the vehicle; or turning the tank to the off position. The bill did not prohibit operating a tow vehicle or RV that is equipped to supply the engine with nitrous. The bill is based on SAN-model legislation offered to state legislators as a compromise to a complete ban on nitrous oxide systems.
Old 8/30/07, 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

We have the Street Machine Nats here in Springfield every year. Our illustrious police force is out in droves, just waiting for someone to chirp a tire or do some other horrendous deed. One year I witnessed a driver weaving down the main drag where the participants cruise, with no headlights, well after dark. I had him pegged for a drunk driver. But did the cops stop him? Nope. They double-teamed (2 patrol cars) the kid in the '66 Nova that had a taillight out. And that was his only offense that I could see, and I was right behind him.

It's too bad when profiling happens. And it DOES happen.
Old 8/31/07, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

To start off with, I'm 47, have a wife and son, so I'm way passed being Johnny-go-fast. I just love my new Tungsten GT. Yesterday, driving home from work, one patrol car got right on my tail as I drove through a school zone. I did the speed limit, but others were not. Of course, they were driving beat-up clunkers or cookie-cutter cars. Just because we drive beautiful, fast appearing Mustangs, we draw more attention from the law. All the more reason to abide by the speed limit signs, etc. Does it bother me that maybe, just maybe, a Mustang GT owner may just be very responsible and law abiding, and that the local law fails to see that? A little, yes.
Old 8/31/07, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

I've had my 07 for over a year now and drove an 05 for a year before that. The 07 is a daily driver and has loud exhaust on it (Stingers). I've never once drawn any kind of unusual treatment from the law. I don't doubt that others have, but at least in the DFW area there doesn't seem to be any discrimination towards Mustangs (knock on wood!)
Old 8/31/07, 09:54 AM
Cobra R Member

I've had some close encounters with "da man" in my Stang, for sure, but have YET to get a ticket. My car screams "pull me over" with the red racing stripes, hood scoop, and AR razors.
Old 8/31/07, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

In Tampa, the only cars that seem to get profiled by the police are the ricers, so I'm in luck. I haven't been pulled over in the Mustang yet (knocks on wood), and I've heard a lot of stories from domestic owners in town who have got out of tickets because the officer who pulled them over loves their car. Good stuff.
Old 8/31/07, 11:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by titanjc
In Tampa, the only cars that seem to get profiled by the police are the ricers

I've been followed a few times and could watch as my plates were being run (mostly in Polk county). But for the most part you are right, it seems that every time a cop has somebody stopped its a ricer.
Old 8/31/07, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
To start off with, I'm 47, have a wife and son, so I'm way passed being Johnny-go-fast. I just love my new Tungsten GT. Yesterday, driving home from work, one patrol car got right on my tail as I drove through a school zone. I did the speed limit, but others were not. Of course, they were driving beat-up clunkers or cookie-cutter cars. Just because we drive beautiful, fast appearing Mustangs, we draw more attention from the law. All the more reason to abide by the speed limit signs, etc. Does it bother me that maybe, just maybe, a Mustang GT owner may just be very responsible and law abiding, and that the local law fails to see that? A little, yes.
Heck I'm a 58 year old geezer. I'm usually driving slower than everybody else because I know the car is a cop magnet. I've had most of my mods on since the fall of 2005. Sure the Police look at the car, but the past couple of months I've been pulled over twice for nothing. The first time the guy was complaining that I have a plastic cover on the license plate. It was clear plastic, came with the licsense plate, and did not obstruct, or cause any reflection that would prevent an officer from reading the plate.
Old 8/31/07, 07:50 PM

i was traveling down the highway today on a three lane highway you could see for about two miles with no problem. traffic was moderate and there was two motorcycle cops radaring us as we go by. right after passing i notice that everybody is now speeding up again. some clearly over the limit. ya think one of the morons would turn around lol.
Old 9/2/07, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Officer: "Can I look in the trunk/under the hood?"
Me : "No. Can I go now?"

Don't ever let them see what they have no right to see.....
Old 9/3/07, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Since when has police officers turned into the inspection police?

Unless you had visible arm switches, bottle guage, heater, whatever, there is no probable cause to open up the hood.

I think my plate has been run more times by following police cars than bill gates' credit card.
Old 9/3/07, 11:27 AM

Question: If I am pulled over for some BS reason (exhaust for example) and a police officer asked to see under my hood or trunk... I can tell him no?? And if I do tell him no and he throws some strong arm at me and threatens to write me up for whatever reason if I dont pop my hood...what are my options at that point?
Old 9/3/07, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

In California if you refuse to open the hood they can tow your car. The trunk I am not sure about. Not sure why they wanted to look in your trunk but to me that was not a Justifiable search he had no reason for it. I would like to hear his reason for wanting to look in the trunk

Richard
Old 9/3/07, 04:29 PM
GT Member

I got a BS ticket this weekend in a similar manor. Sh#t whole town cop wrote me a ticket for 63 in a 70. He claimed it was a 50 but couldn't point out a sign! Told me if I had a problem with it to fight it in court, to bad it was in BFE 2 hours from my house!!

Funny part was I was leaving a car show hosted by a cop buddy.

Made me almost sick to drive my car, some people are just D@CKS

Quick Reply: Rousted by the Man