2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it the rotors? Grinding noise, and sqealing brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/12, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Is it the rotors? Grinding noise, and sqealing brakes.

Sorry, this is a duplicate post. I originally put this in the general mustang chat. Figured I'd move it here to be more specific.

Now that I have the pin striping fixed (keyed car), I need to figure out my new noise. About a month ago, I came here trying to figure out the noise coming from the front of the car. It was the wheel bearings.

Now I have a grinding noise coming from the rear. Its got about 65k miles on it. The brakes have been squealing for over a year now. I took the car in last year, and they said they couldn't see any problems with the brakes, and it never made the noise for them.

But now its making a slight grinding noise. It was noticeable only when making left hand turns. But now is noticeable while coasting slowly.

Guessing this is a rotor problem? Would it fix the squealing too with the brakes?
Old 7/27/12, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by woody24

But now its making a slight grinding noise. It was noticeable only when making left hand turns. But now is noticeable while coasting slowly.

Guessing this is a rotor problem? Would it fix the squealing too with the brakes?
It's probably a rotor problem now... since you're hearing grinding.

You need to replace the pads and possibly rotors.
Old 7/27/12, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Is a novice self-install possible? I'm good at simple things, and figuring out stuff. Replaced the cold air intake myself. (gave myself a pat on the back for that one. heh)

But I know nothing about brakes. I was thinking that I'd just order a kit online. Now that they probably need to be replaced, was thinking about getting a better performing set than the stock ones.
Old 7/27/12, 12:06 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is a novice self-install possible? I'm good at simple things, and figuring out stuff. Replaced the cold air intake myself. (gave myself a pat on the back for that one. heh)

But I know nothing about brakes. I was thinking that I'd just order a kit online. Now that they probably need to be replaced, was thinking about getting a better performing set than the stock ones.
Usually changing pads if fairly easy. But if I remember correctly, the rear pads on the Mustang are sort of screwed out of the caliper and may need a special tool. Do you have access to a Repair Manual?
Old 7/27/12, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Do you have access to a Repair Manual?
If the repair manual is outside of the manual that comes with the car, then no, I don't have access to one.
Old 7/27/12, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Usually changing pads if fairly easy. But if I remember correctly, the rear pads on the Mustang are sort of screwed out of the caliper and may need a special tool.
Yeah, you need a disc brake caliper wind back tool. You can rent it at Auto Zone. A friend of mine just replaced my rotors and it was a pain in the ***, just because we didn't realize we needed that specific tool. Once we got it, things were much easier on the rear.
Old 7/27/12, 01:56 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the repair manual is outside of the manual that comes with the car, then no, I don't have access to one.
Most library's have Chilton's. You could do a quick read and/or copy some pages. A lot of guys do them - with that tool - so don't be afraid to attack it.
Old 7/30/12, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
When my pinion bearing went bad it made a grinding noise ...
Old 7/31/12, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
When my pinion bearing went bad it made a grinding noise ...
So far you've been one for one in diagnosing my problems. just need to take the time to take it to the shop to see what they say, and how much it will run me.