2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Replacing Rear Tail Light Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/06, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Replacing Rear Tail Light Bulbs

I can't believe that after 50,000 miles I have already managed to burn out the - you guessed it - the RIGHT rear tail light bulb, and of course I would have the Shaker 1000. This is going to be a major undertaking isn't it? I printed out the instructions and if I am reading them correctly, to replace the bulb I have to uninstall the Shaker Sub in the trunk? Any idea how long this will take? Injured back and numbness in right leg prevent me from spending any more than 5 minutes at a time standing. And the Ford dealership wondered why I went ahead and purchased 6 bulbs! Duh! Before I even got the instructions, common sense was telling me if I have to remove the interior trunk panel to get to the bulbs I might as well replace all 3 bulbs on the right side at the same time. Does the sub have to come out to replace the left rear tailight bulbs? If so, I'm replacing all the way across as I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.

Anyone live in the St. Louis area?
Old 10/6/06, 11:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mtang78
I can't believe that after 50,000 miles I have already managed to burn out the - you guessed it - the RIGHT rear tail light bulb, and of course I would have the Shaker 1000. This is going to be a major undertaking isn't it? I printed out the instructions and if I am reading them correctly, to replace the bulb I have to uninstall the Shaker Sub in the trunk? Any idea how long this will take? Injured back and numbness in right leg prevent me from spending any more than 5 minutes at a time standing. And the Ford dealership wondered why I went ahead and purchased 6 bulbs! Duh! Before I even got the instructions, common sense was telling me if I have to remove the interior trunk panel to get to the bulbs I might as well replace all 3 bulbs on the right side at the same time. Does the sub have to come out to replace the left rear tailight bulbs? If so, I'm replacing all the way across as I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.

Anyone live in the St. Louis area?
Very, Very easy... even with a bad back. Check out the Webelectric or CDC sites for installation of sequential tail lights for easy instructions. It only took me about 20 minutes to swap out both harnesses, and exchange 8 light bulbs, when installing my CDC sequentials. It should only take you 10 minutes max. Just remove that back panel, take out the tail light housing(three nuts), twist off the lightbulb assembly, and pull the bulb out. I wouldn't replace all of them. Bulbs can last years- AND who is to say that one of the new bulbs aren't defective...? I don't have the sub, but I've read that you don't have to take it out to remove the rear panel. Good luck!
Old 10/6/06, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 06 GT and my bulb replacement procedure does not match the instructions I looked up. You remove the trunk panels to gain access to the nuts that hold the tail light housings in place. In the instructions I saw, it looked like the outer lenses would come off after you remove these nuts and you would remove the bulbs from the outside of the car. In reality, the entire tail light housing is removed from the back of the car and you twist the bulb/wiring socket out of the housing like you would for a headlight bulb. Kinda sux 'cause that means you have a bigger piece to handle and it remains attached to the car via the wiring harness. Cover that bumper with a blanket or something. Good luck on the Mach 1000 removal/replacement. I don't have the Mach 1000 so I can't help you with that.
Old 10/6/06, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
I have the Shaker 1000, and I have removed/reinstalled my taillight lamps when I did my sequentials.

You do *not* have to take out the subwoofer!!!

Just use a 3/8" drive ratchet and a small extension for the right-most nut and you will be fine. I believe it's an 8mm (or 10mm, can't remember) deep socket and a SHORT extension. Your hand will fit tightly back there but it *will* fit. Just don't lose the nut!! (I did!!) If you drop the nut you will never see it again.

Also, buy LED bulbs to replace your existing bulbs, they never burn out so you will not have to do this repair again. Just make sure to buy the LED bulbs that work with turn signal flashers.
Old 10/6/06, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys! I have the sequentials but don't know where I put the instructions so I'll go out to the Webelectric site and reprint them. Wish me luck!