2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Replacing muffler on 07 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/21, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing muffler on 07 mustang

Hello all long time lurker first time poster. How are you all? I have some questions about my exhaust on a base model convertible mustang 2007. I'm going to replace it and was wondering if any of you had some tips for me to use. I have pics of the things I need to remove I'll post them. I can see there is a lot of rust. I plan on getting some pb blast and hitting it a couple of times before I get started. I'm going to replace it with this https://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-streetpro-axleback-2005v6.html I also plan on replacing the hangers as well. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Old 7/3/21, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Liquid Wrench Penetrant. PB Blaster's fine, but LWP is where it's at. Beat them all in Project Farm testing. All but a torch, that is. My own experience proved this out as well, LWP did what PB didn't.

You might also look into a new exhaust clamp and fasteners for that last picture, because I'm afeared that ain't goin' back together right, and may not come off right at all, so... yeah. Cheap enough insurance for a maybe to definitely. And you need to address that hanger in the first picture, it ain't lookin' great. It may can be restored if it's not too eaten. But if it's eaten, get another somehow. The rest looks okish and should be reusable.

Muffler's real straight forward. Once you figure out how to get the old one out, the new one will slip right on no problem. The trick is to go ahead and remove those two rear hangers for the muffler from the frame rail back there, and then it just kinda will let you know how to get it out after that.

DO NOT use anything but silicone lubricant on the rubber hangers. Ask me how I know. So get some of that, it's useful in lots of other ways too, but you want it for these things. Spray'll do.
'Bout it. Hope that helps, good luck, and welcome to the forum!

/I must admit, I see more rust that makes me wonder things... I'm sure it's fine, right?...

Last edited by houtex; 7/3/21 at 05:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by houtex:
Jaryd21 (7/4/21), NC14GT (7/4/21)
Old 7/3/21, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Liquid Wrench Penetrant. PB Blaster's fine, but LWP is where it's at. Beat them all in Project Farm testing. All but a torch, that is. My own experience proved this out as well, LWP did what PB didn't.

You might also look into a new exhaust clamp and fasteners for that last picture, because I'm afeared that ain't goin' back together right, and may not come off right at all, so... yeah. Cheap enough insurance for a maybe to definitely. And you need to address that hanger in the first picture, it ain't lookin' great. It may can be restored if it's not too eaten. But if it's eaten, get another somehow. The rest looks okish and should be reusable.

Muffler's real straight forward. Once you figure out how to get the old one out, the new one will slip right on no problem. The trick is to go ahead and remove those two rear hangers for the muffler from the frame rail back there, and then it just kinda will let you know how to get it out after that.

DO NOT use anything but silicone lubricant on the rubber hangers. Ask me how I know. So get some of that, it's useful in lots of other ways too, but you want it for these things. Spray'll do.
'Bout it. Hope that helps, good luck, and welcome to the forum!

/I must admit, I see more rust that makes me wonder things... I'm sure it's fine, right?...
Hey man! Thanks for quick reply. I'll look into getting some of that lwp and your right about bolts and clamp. That's a done deal. The new muffler comes with a new clamp and I ordered two new hangers. So hopefully they go on no prob. How would I remove the hanger in pic 3 the 1 with the rubber piece? Does that metal part pop out? Your right about the rust. Its alot under there...I suspect flood car but I'm not sure. It has no engine problems no lights are on and it sounds great. If it is a floodstang I just gotta deal. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it!
Old 7/3/21, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The hanger in pic 3 is what the silicone spray is for. Lube it up, then pry it off, and it'd be easier to do the upper one at the rail, if I remember right, leaving it on the pipe. You can then later take all the rubber parts off of the muffler when it's out and move them to the new stuff accordingly.

Glad to help out where I can! As are the rest of us on here, pretty much. Pics of your car when you get to it!
Old 7/3/21, 09:32 PM

Ok. got it. I'll lube it pull the piece out and I'll take pics when it's done! I plan on starting when muffler gets here. Probably next week. I'll be back to update.
Old 7/4/21, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
I agree with houtex. The liquid wrench penetrate is better than PBB but I also just recently found this stuff called Rust Patril and hasn't failed me yet.
Old 7/4/21, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jaryd21
I agree with houtex. The liquid wrench penetrate is better than PBB but I also just recently found this stuff called Rust Patril and hasn't failed me yet.
I'm going to AutoZone today to get some liquid wrench but do they sell rust patril at Autozone? I'll pick some of that up to. Thanks for the help.
Old 7/4/21, 04:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks like it was supposed to be 'Rust Patrol' and you can find it on Amazon or directly on their website. Doesn't look like anyone carries it localish, but hey, might call/check around your area.

Gonna have to send that one to Project Farm and see if he'll update that comparison.

Also, doesn't look like Autozone carries the stuff (NOT 'Liquid Wrench', but 'Liquid Wrench Penetrant', a very different thing) but Walmart and Advance Auto Parts do. Should be on the shelves. I've also seen either Lowes or Home Depot (can't remember which?) has it too. Just a heads up on that.

This is the LWP you want: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...1-12/7040377-p
And this is the silicone spray: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...4603/7070063-p

As but examples. And the silicone spray doesn't have to be LW, but I figured why not.

Last edited by houtex; 7/4/21 at 04:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaryd21 (7/5/21)
Old 7/5/21, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I don't ever remember auto zone carrying it but i got mine from a local steel and metal sale place. Lol and yeah it is supposed to be rust patrol.
Old 7/9/21, 11:38 AM

Install muffler complete!!!

Took me 3 hours before work. The hardest part was getting the old muffler off. Took 2 more friends. one hitting with a hammer the other pulling muffler and me shaking it. We also had to put the torch to it for like 10 min to break up some rust. Sprayed bolts with liquid wrench and PB blast wd40 combo and with a little muscle got them thangs off!!! Looks great and sounds good too! How do I take video on here so you guys can hear it if you want....thank you for your help everyone I appreciate it!

Last edited by The stanger; 7/9/21 at 11:44 AM.
Old 7/9/21, 01:48 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Nice job! Congrats and welcome aboard
The stanger (7/27/21)
Old 7/9/21, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes welcome and get ready it's only the beginning of mods for you. Long trip down a hole. Lol
The stanger (7/27/21)
Old 7/10/21, 12:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Re: video: Stick the video on Youtube and then link it here. Good job! Verra nice!
The stanger (7/27/21)