2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear quarter panel damage?????

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/11, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear quarter panel damage?????

hi there everyone im new to the site. im a firefighter in ny an my brother backed his gmc jimmy into my 2006 v6 mustang an hit the rear passenger panel. any thaughts on what i should do? really could use some help here. thanks
Old 11/28/11, 06:38 PM

:/

if possible email me at westside493@gmail.com
Old 11/28/11, 06:44 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not really sure what kind of help you're looking for. I'm pretty sure that in NY his insurance would pay for it even if it did happen on private property. Your collision could also cover it, but your deductible may apply. As far as repairs, take it to a bodyshop. That's a panel that I'd generally prefer to have repaired if possible, rather than replaced. Pic?
Old 11/28/11, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Not really sure what kind of help you're looking for. I'm pretty sure that in NY his insurance would pay for it even if it did happen on private property. Your collision could also cover it, but your deductible may apply. As far as repairs, take it to a bodyshop. That's a panel that I'd generally prefer to have repaired if possible, rather than replaced. Pic?
I dont have a pic now will put up tomorrow for u. But so u have an idea its back by the bumper lol i was ready to kill him
Old 11/28/11, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I was just trying to figure out a basic price amaount
Old 11/28/11, 08:00 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
just to paint/blend, I bet 800 minimum... I got a price of 1200 just to spray a hood- paint is expensive, labor to shoot it is too.

if any structural/welding/hidden damage, it can get pretty nuts. Id bet a 'minor' quarter straightening/painting will run 1200-2500 depending on whats involved for a minor one... having to cut/weld/seal or panel replacement, double that... I agree 100% with John, best to save the panel...some folks would 'want a new one', but a new one involves welding without ecoat/epoxyprimer dip that the oem one has...

if youre still driving it, take a mirror and look closely under the fender lip where the outer panel is crimped- if anyundercoat is cracked at the crimp, do anything to seal it before it gets water in there...ductape/anything, theres no way to clean it out if road grime gets in the crimp, and thats one spot you wont want rusting...

hard to imagine without at least a pic, but hope its not too bad, just a little hammer/dolly and paint job

I just did my wifes 07 avalanche, got hit on vacation, just below the taillight, really krinkled it up, got it beat out pretty straight, but you can see the metal is stretched...at 500 deductible, had to fix it myself for 50 bucks, just so it wouldnt rust over winter...far from unnoticeable, but looks better than it did and shouldnt rust.
I got the paint from automotivetouchup.com, the basecoat is great and color was better than Ive ever found...their clear is a kinda cheep laquer, but it dries fast and rubs out quickly...wish I'd have bought my mustang louver paint from them, my first set I spent over 200 bucks for the base/clear/hardeners and the color wasnt this close...with christmas right around the corner had to do something- but cheap as possible...
Attached Thumbnails rear quarter panel damage?????-0.jpg   rear quarter panel damage?????-3.jpg   rear quarter panel damage?????-6.jpg   rear quarter panel damage?????-9.jpg  

Last edited by ford4v429; 11/28/11 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11/28/11, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429
just to paint/blend, I bet 800 minimum... I got a price of 1200 just to spray a hood- paint is expensive, labor to shoot it is too.

if any structural/welding/hidden damage, it can get pretty nuts. Id bet a 'minor' quarter straightening/painting will run 1200-2500 depending on whats involved for a minor one... having to cut/weld/seal or panel replacement, double that... I agree 100% with John, best to save the panel...some folks would 'want a new one', but a new one involves welding without ecoat/epoxyprimer dip that the oem one has...

if youre still driving it, take a mirror and look closely under the fender lip where the outer panel is crimped- if anyundercoat is cracked at the crimp, do anything to seal it before it gets water in there...ductape/anything, theres no way to clean it out if road grime gets in the crimp, and thats one spot you wont want rusting...

hard to imagine without at least a pic, but hope its not too bad, just a little hammer/dolly and paint job

I just did my wifes 07 avalanche, got hit on vacation, just below the taillight, really krinkled it up, got it beat out pretty straight, but you can see the metal is stretched...at 500 deductible, had to fix it myself for 50 bucks, just so it wouldnt rust over winter...far from unnoticeable, but looks better than it did and shouldnt rust.
I got the paint from automotivetouchup.com, the basecoat is great and color was better than Ive ever found...their clear is a kinda cheep laquer, but it dries fast and rubs out quickly...wish I'd have bought my mustang louver paint from them, my first set I spent over 200 bucks for the base/clear/hardeners and the color wasnt this close...with christmas right around the corner had to do something- but cheap as possible...
Thanks ill post a pic up for u tomorrow an just let me know what u think ok?
Old 11/29/11, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FORD4V Hell of a job! looks great for an at home repair. My stang got plowed in the door and it was about 2K for the repair. It was covered under the "Hitters" insurance. I took it around and found the best collision shop I could. If insurance is covering it then find the BEST shop you can. Not all shops are equal.
Old 11/29/11, 04:20 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
thanks, but its still pretty apparent it was hit- wife was happy with it, unless you look its not *that* noticeable...looked a lot worse with wrinkles/chipped paint, gouged lens...the lense sanded out nice, cant even tell it was tore up...had fun with the kids for a couple evenings- I didnt let them hammer on it(they wanted to) but they did sand/buff/dspray...makes it a bit more fun
I wasnt too happy with the bodywork, metal was stretched enough/not enough access to get it all out, but I was super happy with automotivetouchup.coms spraycan basecoat...think its like 16 bucks a can (we have our machine paint at work put in pressurized cans for touchups- the paint store charges like 20 bucks a can to put it in the can- plus paint!) and their color match was really really close. just the basecoat for my mustang louvers was like 80 bucks for a pint IIRC, it was a fair bit off...if I had to do any more trim work on the mustang I think i'll try the goofy spraycan from thesr guys- for the base anyways...their clear is not that great, seals/shines up alright and being laquer its fast, but I'd rather have a urethane clear- huge price difference though...

anyways- DPHC13's got a good point- if insurance is covering it, YOU get to pick the shop you want it done at, and YOU can say if oem or aftermarket parts are ok...find a good shop, make sure any parts needed are oem quality...

you know what sucks, in our trucks case, been with nationwide 30 years, no claims/no tickets in >30 years, was a hit/skip, truck was parked, we were right across the street, had 2 witnesses(inadvertently I even got a picture of the truck that hit hers reflected in a shops window across the street), and its still 500 deductible...they offer accident forgiveness so it wouldnt UP OUR RATES, but then thats used up for like 2 years- how in the heck is it 'our' accident to forgive???
knew a guy that got hit twice by uninsureds in a year and his insurer dropped him??? ive come to the opinion pretty much all insurance companies just SUCK. so we just fixed it somewhat at home...

Last edited by ford4v429; 11/29/11 at 04:51 PM.