2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Rear-ended - No Fair

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/05, 08:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@March 2, 2005, 5:20 PM
I've been an insurance adjuster for years. Post pics, I'll tell you what's going on. It sounds like your rear body panel is pushed in. I doubt $700 will cover it. Open your trunk, take out the trunk carpet, and look at the back (the panel that your taillamps mount in). Most likely you'll see damage or a bend, especially around the welds. Good luck with your repairs. Most insurance adjusters will not care if you put a/m parts on your car just as long as they're more expensive than the OEM parts. I know, that sounds backwards, but it can complicate things if the adjuster missed damages the first time around, and from your description, it sounds like he did.
Thanks so much. I'll take pics ASAP and post them.

In respect to the aftermarket parts, how do I bring up the question with the adjuster without sounding like I am taking advantage of the situation.
Old 3/2/05, 08:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by IWantMyNewGT+March 2, 2005, 5:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IWantMyNewGT @ March 2, 2005, 5:55 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Galaxie@March 2, 2005, 7:28 PM
... A Ford bodyshop is like any other, some are good and some are bad. Find a reputable bodyshop that uses high-end materials and works on expensive cars... .
I agree. The worst bodywork I've ever seen came from a Ford dealer with it's own bodyshop. Find out where high-end car owners take their cars for bodywork in your area. If you know any Porsche owners, I would start there. In my experience they tend to be the pickiest of all about their rides!
[/b][/quote]

Actually, I called around to the Ford dealerships in my area, and none of them have an in-house body shop. It's interesting that you mention starting with Porsche owners because one of the Ford dealers sends their cars to the same shop that the local Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW stores send their cars for repair work.

BTW - will most body shops install aftermarket parts? I only have experience with one shop, and they told me that they would not install any non-OEM parts.
Old 3/2/05, 08:36 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by rcinco+March 2, 2005, 10:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rcinco @ March 2, 2005, 10:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05GT-O.C.D.@March 2, 2005, 5:20 PM
I've been an insurance adjuster for years. Post pics, I'll tell you what's going on. It sounds like your rear body panel is pushed in. I doubt $700 will cover it. Open your trunk, take out the trunk carpet, and look at the back (the panel that your taillamps mount in). Most likely you'll see damage or a bend, especially around the welds. Good luck with your repairs. Most insurance adjusters will not care if you put a/m parts on your car just as long as they're more expensive than the OEM parts. I know, that sounds backwards, but it can complicate things if the adjuster missed damages the first time around, and from your description, it sounds like he did.
Thanks so much. I'll take pics ASAP and post them.

In respect to the aftermarket parts, how do I bring up the question with the adjuster without sounding like I am taking advantage of the situation.
[/b][/quote]

You don't need to bring it up to him, bring it up with the bodyshop. The only problem that could arise is when the body shop calls the insurance company for a supplement for the missed damages. When I do a supplement I require the shop to show me the invoices for the parts (original and supplemental) to insure that the repairs are actually being done and that the bodyshop isn't just trying to get money unfairly. Believe me, bodyshops can be even bigger crooks than insurance companies. Anyways, when the bodyshop shows them the invoices for the aftermarket parts, the adjuster may question it if the parts prices are less than what he paid the shop for. If the cost is more and the adjuster doesn't have to pay the extra cost, he shouldn't care. I wouldn't even bother bringing it up to him, work with the shop, let them fight the battle for you, they're used to dealing with ins co's. If you do decide to bring it up to the adjuster, just make sure he's under the impression that the aftermarket parts will cost more, and tell him that you will be paying the extra. Good luck.