2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
View Poll Results: Do you use a Radar Detector?
Yes, I plug it into the powerpoint above the radio
34.38%
Yes, I have it hardwired or wireless, not plugged into powerpoint
20.83%
No, I don't use a radar detector
44.79%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Radar detectors??

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/06, 02:34 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trooper4985
Obey me? Where are you getting that? You expect to be treated with courtesy and respect correct? You don't like dealing with people who lack common sense and don't think when they say or do things right? I was brought up to respect authority figures without question. Todays society of kids that talk back to their parents and school administrators is broken and I'm doing my part to try to fix it a little bit.

I'm not the NHTSA... I'm not here for education... I'm employed for the purpose of arresting people doing things they know they shouldn't. Criminal Justice as a whole is "You play, you pay" system. You break in to my house and steal my nice new 60" Sony WEGA.... if you don't get shot, you spend some time in prison. You have a few drinks with your friends and then drive home, if I find you, you cough up lots of money and are walking for a little while.

I became a cop because the idea of a mindless desk job makes me shudder and although I am not affraid of much, I'm not going into a burning building. I did my time in the military and now I'm doing my part to try to make society a slightly better place... the same reason I think I'm going to get a JD when I retire and become a local judge.
"I'm not the NHTSA... I'm not here for education... I'm employed for the purpose of arresting people doing things they know they shouldn't." That statement makes my point for me. You're more interested in arresting people than "making society a better place." Or perhaps you consider arresting people to be the core foundation of improving society?

"To Protect and to Serve" is, if I'm not mistaken, the motto of the LA Police Dept. That's their mandate (and I don't think they necessarily mean "serving" citations). My presumption is that most police departments adhere to the same mission statement (more or less), at least OFFICIALLY.

Let's clarify a couple of things straight off, shall we? You don't know me...and I don't know you - other than what we read of each other's posts. And what I see when I read your posts, is an individual who is more interested in demonstrating to everyone that he is an authority figure; most often "right"; and that as an enforcer of the law, should be obeyed all the time without question. I'm not doubting that you deal with idiots and imbeciles and liars more frequently than some of us - it's the nature of your job. But you can't tell me that everyone you pull over is rude and disrespectful. I, too, grew up being taught to obey the law. But there are limits...

For example, not all cops are lilly white like officers Reed and Malloy. Perhaps you heard about what happened in New Orleans? If not, you doubtless remember the Rodney King episode. I know from personal experience individuals who became cops not because they wanted to help people, but because they had Class 'A' personalities, coupled with esteem issues, and desired the "power" that goes with the job. I know psychological testing is supposed to weed out those types of individuals, but it doesn't always work.

So I will concede that your job can often be difficult, taxing and thankless if you will concede that cops are not perfect, and there are those who use their positions to forward a personal agenda...or the financial agendas of the districts they serve.

That's the reality of it, despite five pages of rhetoric.
Old 9/22/06, 03:44 PM
eci
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Writing tickets for 66 in a 65 doesn't make society better, it makes people hate cops.
Old 9/22/06, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
You're more interested in arresting people than "making society a better place." Or perhaps you consider arresting people to be the core foundation of improving society?
You have a PM.

Originally Posted by eci
Writing tickets for 66 in a 65 doesn't make society better, it makes people hate cops.
I still believe these 1 mph tickets are myth or a break for some other violation... I know guys who stop people for 85/65 and write for 75/65 to give people a break... Very seldom do I write breaks... I'm not wasting my time on V&T unless something else (drugs/warrants/etc) is involved or someone talks themself into a ticket or 3.
Old 9/25/06, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

We can all complain all we want its not going to change anything. Trooper has good points as do alot of us. He does his job to the best of his ability im sure. Most of us have to listen to authority. Doesnt mean we have to do it blindly. One thing I learned growing up in the fire service was to do what your told and keep your mouth shut as long as it didnt endanger your life or the life of others. Ive done alot of things I thought were dumb just because I was told. People growing up today lack ALOT of respect. If a kid ever talked to me the way they talk to there parents id slap them. Back to the point at hand. WE ARE TRYING TO AVOID TICKETS with our radar detectors. Trooper is in the buisness to GIVE TICKETS TO THOSE BREAKING THE LAW. When we speed WE BREAK THE LAW. If I get pulled over for speeding im going to hope by being courteous and respectful I will recieve a warning or a lesser ticket for something like a dead brakelight. I dont agree with some of the tactics that some departments use to give out tickets but hey nobody ever said life was fair. What sucks the MOST is if you do get a ticket and you know for sure your innocent, its not worth it most times to take off from work or pay a lawyer to fight the ticket. Its easier to just pay it and take the class to keep the points off your license. Every ticket Ive ever gotten I deserved, I didnt want it and I was ****ed about all the other cars that were speeding in the pack with me that got away.

Ive been pulled over twice for speeding since I got my mustang, no tickets yet. The first cops let us off cause I handed him my passport (my license was stolen in baghdad along with my oakleys and credit card) with my many stamps for Baghdad Iraq, and my buddy with me handed him his military ID. Like most cops he had been in the military, so we chatted for a few minutes he told us to be careful and let us off. The second time it was a undercover FHP no radar he was pacing me, I noticed right away and slowed down. I knew it was a FHP cause of his hat he was wearing in the car and it was a unmarked interceptor. He pulled me over gave me grief for the short time he had followed me speeding and let me go.

Both times they could have given me tickets the first one I didnt have the detector yet and the second he wasnt using radar. The first one would have been open and shut the second one I would have fought in court if he had given me a ticket only because he wouldnt be able to prove easily how fast I was going.
Old 9/26/06, 12:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

posted the wrong link, here you go the bel STI driver is undetectable by the spectre III guess YOU might as well save your money instead of buying that expensive piece of plastic lol. http://www.speedzones.com/radar_detector_detectors.html
Old 9/26/06, 12:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by official_style
posted the wrong link, here you go the bel STI driver is undetectable by the spectre III guess YOU might as well save your money instead of buying that expensive piece of plastic lol. http://www.speedzones.com/radar_detector_detectors.html
Interesting... I wonder how long it is going to take Stalker to update the Spectre. About wasting my money... It's a tax write off just like all the other toys I buy for work and I'm fairly sure that not every trucker out there is going to be buying a $400+ radar detector.

BTW... I don't write nurses, doctors, firefighters or CO's. I know I shouldn't have said that because it's going to start even more sillyness but it's the truth. No sense in ****ing off the nurse who is going to end up working on me or my buddy after we've been shot or in a bad accident. And since I work in the communist state known as NY... we have no death penalty but if the CO's like us... an inmate's life sentence can be pretty tough... too many write ups and no more privlidges... what a shame.