2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
View Poll Results: Do you use a Radar Detector?
Yes, I plug it into the powerpoint above the radio
34.38%
Yes, I have it hardwired or wireless, not plugged into powerpoint
20.83%
No, I don't use a radar detector
44.79%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Radar detectors??

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/06, 01:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FalconDude
Those types of comments from a Trooper are the reason I just bought a Radar detector. Whether it's your God-complex or the additional revenue generated from these tickets, I want some protection from speed-traps and Troopers with something to prove. Sounds to me like you should have been a judge instead.
That's kinda the same take I had on that post as well.....
Old 9/7/06, 01:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine has saved me SO many times. The only thing none of them will save you from is Laser speed detectors, by the time it goes off its to late.

My windows are all tinted so the 2 times I have gotten pulled over ( One for changing lanes while not signaling and second for not having a tag), I grabbed the dector off the windshield and threw it in the center console. In my experience cops are pretty cool and as soon as they see the emergency endorsement on my license and my FireFighter License plate they'll probably just give a warning. Troopers though dont give a **** who you are. I known ambulance drivers who have been followed to the E.R. by troopers and given a ticket.
Old 9/7/06, 05:51 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I do not use them. I always go almost at the speed limit(never more than 5 over, which isn't the speed limit, but also isn't ***** out speeding like most people do here). And for the record, last Fridays mad dash to play with the other yellow in the caravan to MCA didn't count .

I got popped by a county cop because I was
A) in a yellow mustang
B)going slower than the flow of traffic

So it was assumed I saw him, put on my brakes to slow down and I got the ticket. Thats what porky pig said to me anyhow. So I was on the hook for $134- Now that I think about it, if I hadn't been worried sick about it and just paid it my court date would have been in an hour.It did not serve to do anything but make me hatefully despise the county.
Old 9/7/06, 10:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't owned one in a long time (since living in the DFW Metroplex). Most ot the time, the cops are out to get the people really speeding. Flow of traffic is normally 70-75 in a posted 60mph zone. People that get pulled over are doing 80+.

Not having a radar detector is the only reason I really haven't flexed my 'Stangs "muscles". I might have to get one, now that I have moved 1.5hrs out of the Metroplex. A bit more rural, less cars, etc.

I'd get either a Valentine V1 or Passport 8500 if I were to actually shop for one.
Old 9/7/06, 10:55 AM
eci
Banned

Bel RX65 beats all the others in tests like the V1..
Old 9/7/06, 11:02 AM

Here in Okla. the state troopers are pretty cool. The speed limit on the turnpikes (we pay for ever inch of road and THEN SOME in this state. Don't get me started on this...) is 75mph. You're normally good for up to 10 over unless you're weaving in and out of traffic and generally acting like an idiot. I passed OHPs at 85mph all the time. They don't even look. I've gotten pulled over twice going 90-95mph. Just got a warning. Generally, if you're cool with them, they'll return the favor. Act like a jerk and it's not your fault for speeding... You'll get a ticket, and thus you should.
Old 9/7/06, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2006GT
Here in Okla. the state troopers are pretty cool. The speed limit on the turnpikes (we pay for ever inch of road and THEN SOME in this state. Don't get me started on this...) is 75mph. You're normally good for up to 10 over unless you're weaving in and out of traffic and generally acting like an idiot. I passed OHPs at 85mph all the time. They don't even look. I've gotten pulled over twice going 90-95mph. Just got a warning. Generally, if you're cool with them, they'll return the favor. Act like a jerk and it's not your fault for speeding... You'll get a ticket, and thus you should.
They should make highspeed turnpikes for those that think they are brave enough.
Old 9/7/06, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eci
I got a radar ticket for going 66 in a 65 in San Diego. That's why I use a radar detector now.

No attitude, nothing. CHP said " Do you know how fast you were going "? I said "65". He said "try 66". That is the entire discussion.

Cops *are* out to write tickets.

That seems odd. One MPH? If that is true ,that would have been one that I would have fought.
Old 9/7/06, 01:19 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Old 9/7/06, 02:31 PM
GT Member

I don't use one because, frankly, I don't think they work very well concidering the police tactics.

They work great and give you plenty of warning if the cop is sitting on the side of the road leaving the radar running (like the guy behind the plate at a baseball game). Unfortunately, the police don't really do that anymore. They sit on the side of the road with the radar ready and when they see a car that they suspect is speeding *boom* they gun you directly. No warning from the detector until after they already have a '68' flashing on the face of the radar. But, they have really cool lights, so I was thinking about getting one anyway.
Old 9/7/06, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by n3cr0mncr
I don't use one because, frankly, I don't think they work very well concidering the police tactics.

They work great and give you plenty of warning if the cop is sitting on the side of the road leaving the radar running (like the guy behind the plate at a baseball game). Unfortunately, the police don't really do that anymore. They sit on the side of the road with the radar ready and when they see a car that they suspect is speeding *boom* they gun you directly. No warning from the detector until after they already have a '68' flashing on the face of the radar. But, they have really cool lights, so I was thinking about getting one anyway.
That's what POP protection is for.
Old 9/7/06, 05:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
I got popped by a county cop because I was
A) in a yellow mustang
B)going slower than the flow of traffic
So why did you get a ticket? What speed did he say you were going? They have to have a recording documented.
That's just not right.
Old 9/7/06, 06:38 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

So why did you get a ticket? What speed did he say you were going? They have to have a recording documented.
That's just not right.
The flow of traffic was going 72. He said it was me because I was going slower than everyone else- and he swore it was because I saw him and slowed down. Theres a topic somewhere on here about it called bullcrap ticket. I wound up just saying to hell with it and paying online because it was making me so sick worrying about it.

I may have also gotten the ticket because when he told me I was being pulled over because I was speeding I quickly told him he was full of ****. At least thats what my husband tells me. He made me apologize to the "nice cop" but I still got the ticket.
The lesson I learned was I despise county cops now.
Old 9/7/06, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stang281
Ive always heard of POP but never really understood what it means...HELP!
Old 9/7/06, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eci
I got a radar ticket for going 66 in a 65 in San Diego. That's why I use a radar detector now.

No attitude, nothing. CHP said " Do you know how fast you were going "? I said "65". He said "try 66". That is the entire discussion.

Cops *are* out to write tickets.
I constantly hear about people getting tickets for 66/65 or 58/55.... I personally think all these stories are just that... stories... I can't believe any Police Officer/Deputy/Trooper would waste his time on a speed that can be accounted for by slight imperfections in the speedometer. Our cars/speedo's are off by 1-3 mph... we check them every month versus a radar and annotate the discrepency so we can still write a ticket based on a pace.

I have to believe you were pulled over for multiple infractions and given a break like I do all the time... I write people equipment violations (fix it ticket) in lieu of speeding if they have a good attitude and admit to the violation.

Those types of comments from a Trooper are the reason I just bought a Radar detector. Whether it's your God-complex or the additional revenue generated from these tickets, I want some protection from speed-traps and Troopers with something to prove. I never speed where the limit is less than 55 mph. I usually exceed the posted limit when on Hwys and interstates when traffic is light. Every ticket I've received was on rural Hwys where I was obeying the basic speed law. The troopers saw it differently every time. Never had a radar detector (until now), never got just a warning, but I always got a ticket. Perhaps most importantly, I didn't realize Troopers could use "presumptive evidence" in issuing tickets. That should alarm many people. Sounds to me like you should have been a judge instead.
So you admit you speed on the highway and yet complain that a Trooper is doing his job by enforcing the traffic law?

Radar detectors aren't illegal in NY (even though they should be but that is a whole other thread)... they simply play into my use in discretion to issue you a ticket or not. My basic rule is that I give everyone 14 during daylight and 9 during hours of darkness. If I see a middle aged man in a business suit doing 73/55 at 0750 I'm probably not stopping him. If I see a car full of kids doing 40/30 at 0230... that car is probably getting stopped... it's called discretion and it's beautiful. Just because I usually give people a HUGE cushion does not mean that each and every one of them are not violating the V&T and subject to being ticketed.

BTW... presumptive evidence is in the NYS V&T.... check out section 312 1(b) of the NYS V&T (page 85).

Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
I known ambulance drivers who have been followed to the E.R. by troopers and given a ticket.
I'm throwing a BS flag here... this sounds like the BS posts about cops writing other cops passing though their juridiction in a marked vehicle and exceeding the limit.

Originally Posted by 2006GT

Looks like someone got the message... learn what is acceptable and obide by it.

I don't eat dounts or drink coffee... I eat pop-tarts and drink pepsi.

Originally Posted by Stang281
Believe what you will... POP doesn't work if looking at you... it only works when I'm looking at a car ahead of you and you get warned because you weren't in the zone of influence yet.

I may have also gotten the ticket because when he told me I was being pulled over because I was speeding I quickly told him he was full of ****. At least thats what my husband tells me. He made me apologize to the "nice cop" but I still got the ticket.
The lesson I learned was I despise county cops now.
That's right... it's our fault your break the law and talk to us with no manners... yep... all our fault.
Old 9/7/06, 11:14 PM

I currently use the beltronics 995 and have found it to be a very capable, very useful and reasonably priced. I would reccommend this unit to all. I might hardwire it soon.
Old 9/8/06, 05:16 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Breaking the law is collective-play and pay.(And I can joke about cops because my husbands entire family was on the job in Suffolk County NY).

Paying for someone elses mistake is just wrong. So no a radar detector wouldn't have helped me because I wouldn't have said "Oh crap" and slowed down since I had on my cruise- the officer was indeed FOS as I told him. assuming I was speeding because I was going slower than the flow of traffic is ignorant. I still have the highest respect for the city cops and highway patrol, but the county cops should stick to busting meth labs and breaking up redneck fights.
Old 9/8/06, 05:59 AM
V6 Member

I always use a detector in my cars and have for the last 25 years. They work. Currently have V-1's in my cars - I think they are the best out there. In reply to Trooper4985, I would have agreed with you until 5 years ago when I was pulled over by a town cop in NJ trying to meet his qouta and said I was doing 43 in a 40, which I wasn't (as I had pegged him by my radar detector before I left a stoplight and didn't accelerate above 35) and challenged his bs, which caused him to back down; and last month, when in Western Washington state, I was 5th in a pack of 11-12 cars on a single lane, 60 mph road and the lead car was doing between 55-63 for about 10 miles. An undercover trooper in the pack must have called ahead and the troopers set up a road block and pulled over all of the cars and gave us all tickets for 62 in a 60. Since I rarely drive more than 5 mph over or with the flow of traffic whichever is faster, I haven't been stopped much (4 times in 25 years), but the few times I have the cops have been quota filling, which to me and most of America is distasteful and dishonest. If the police want law abiding citizens repect, they need to do their job with unchallengable ethics - not suggesting most don't, but more than enough don't that even as a lawyer with great faith in the legal system I have to question everything they do.
Old 9/8/06, 07:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Trooper4985
So you admit you speed on the highway and yet complain that a Trooper is doing his job by enforcing the traffic law?

Radar detectors aren't illegal in NY (even though they should be but that is a whole other thread)... they simply play into my use in discretion to issue you a ticket or not. My basic rule is that I give everyone 14 during daylight and 9 during hours of darkness. If I see a middle aged man in a business suit doing 73/55 at 0750 I'm probably not stopping him. If I see a car full of kids doing 40/30 at 0230... that car is probably getting stopped... it's called discretion and it's beautiful. Just because I usually give people a HUGE cushion does not mean that each and every one of them are not violating the V&T and subject to being ticketed.

BTW... presumptive evidence is in the NYS V&T.... check out section 312 1(b) of the NYS V&T (page 85).
Yes, I admit I exceed the posted limit (55 or 65mph) on hwys and Interstates. Can you sit there and honestly admit that you do not under these conditions when you're in your personal car? So, you are that 1/50 cars that sits in the right lane going 55 mph? Ok then.

Your other comments (again) should scare the living crap out of people. You admit that you arbitrarily enforce the laws, and give tickets to people with attitudes or those with detectors, but maybe not to those who kiss your butt. You admit to allowing some reasonable speeding, though chide me for admitting that I do exceed the posted limit. When Troopers are allowed to give citations at their own discretion and using presumptive evidence, you are acting as judge. Recall this is America, and not a Police State.
Old 9/8/06, 02:30 PM
GT Member

Yes, I admit I exceed the posted limit (55 or 65mph) on hwys and Interstates. Can you sit there and honestly admit that you do not under these conditions when you're in your personal car? So, you are that 1/50 cars that sits in the right lane going 55 mph? Ok then.

Your other comments (again) should scare the living crap out of people. You admit that you arbitrarily enforce the laws, and give tickets to people with attitudes or those with detectors, but maybe not to those who kiss your butt. You admit to allowing some reasonable speeding, though chide me for admitting that I do exceed the posted limit. When Troopers are allowed to give citations at their own discretion and using presumptive evidence, you are acting as judge. Recall this is America, and not a Police State.
I simply said that I don't bother with the business man and instead look for cars that lead me to believe there might be some other violations/crimes occuring. Do you drive around with drugs in the car or have warrants? If not why would it concern you to know that there are plenty of guys out on the road not wasting their time with the good people and trying to grab something other than a speeding ticket? It's called discretion and without it... I wouldn't be a cop. Would you like it knowing that everytime a cop saw you doing 1 over that it was going to cost you several hundred dollars over the long haul or do you prefer it that the officer has the ability to make his own decisions about which cars to stop and when to issue a ticket?

BTW... I don't set fines and sentences so I'm not the judge... I simply give people an appointment to go see the judge... nothing about being ticketed means you are guilty. As for how fast I travel on the highways... I do not speed in construction zones no matter how short they are or if it's 3am, and my truck has 4:10's in it so gas mileage gets progressivly worse the faster I drive... 65 is the limit on most of the highways I drive and that's what I do. When I had my mustang I got on it once in a while but am man enouigh to know I deserve a ticket if caught and wouldn't cry about it like a little kid. I'm sure that I will exceed the limit in my next mustang (08 or 09 depending on if I like the new body) but I won't cry about it if I get a ticket.

Quick Reply: Radar detectors??