2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Radar dectector Hard install steps

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/05, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I DID IT!!! Any of you looking to install a radar dectector in your '05 Mustang, follow along. This took me 3 hours! I know I am stupid. The main tip is to take off ALL THE PLASTIC molding on your passenger side door. This includes the kick floor, and the side panel molding. It's easy, just pull! You will need to take all of this molding off anyway to stuff your excess wiring in.
After you cut the cord on your radar's wire, split it and pull the plastic sheath off both wires using a wire cutter.
The first pic is the fuse box under the kick plate and the 10amp fuse I choose that is "hot" so it will go off and on with my ignition. This is where you will be putting your power wire.
[attachmentid=18400]
Old 4/19/05, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

The second pic is the bolt I chose for my ground wire.

[attachmentid=18401]
Old 4/19/05, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

The third pic, is the side panel molding removed.
[attachmentid=18402]
Old 4/19/05, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

The fourth and fifth pics are the finished product with the wiring tucked under the head boarding.
[attachmentid=18403]
Old 4/19/05, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Last pic! Any questions???

[attachmentid=18404]
Old 4/19/05, 02:26 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shoulda just wired it to the map lights and put a mini on/off switch instead?

The detector can't drain the battery THAT fast.

I'm still confused how you ran the wire down the the box and what the door has to do with it.
Old 4/19/05, 02:31 PM
GT Member

If it's permanently wired into the car, how are you gonna yank it off your windshield and stuff it under a seat if you do happen to get pulled over? :scratch:
Old 4/19/05, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

You stuff the wire into the head board, then tuck it in all the way across to your plastic molding by the door. Then feed it to your fuse box under that molding on the passenger side. And it's not that it drains the battery, which it would leaving it on overnight all the time, its having to unplug the thing everytime you leave your car, and looking at a bunch of wires on the dash. Also, I don't think the map light has enough ampage to run a 12v radar detector.
Don't hate.
Old 4/19/05, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mister_e@April 19, 2005, 2:34 PM
If it's permanently wired into the car, how are you gonna yank it off your windshield and stuff it under a seat if you do happen to get pulled over? :scratch:
I have a quick release button on my whistler that pulls off but leaves the suction cups, but if I didn't have that, just unplug it... :bang:
Old 4/19/05, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Plus there are places where your allowed to have radar detectors
Old 4/19/05, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by drizztbob@April 19, 2005, 4:36 PM
Also, I don't think the map light has enough ampage to run a 12v radar detector.
Don't hate.
Sure it does. Even if it didn't you could change the fuse out to a higher amperage for that circuit. I hooked a coworker's Passport 8500 to the overhead console on his Mazda 6 and it works great. He lucked out because there was a non-constant 12V line which powered the sunroof. We don't have that so you either put a miniature pushbutton maintained switch or do something like you did.

Looking at what you did seems like a better idea now, but I'd like to find an actual wire to tap into instead of splicing off the fuse like that. The wires for the climate control which is only powered when the car is on would work. Does anybody with a wiring diagram know which wire would be good?

Good job though You've got my wheels turning now. It would be nicer to not have it always be on. I just need to find a better power source.

As far as placement and the cops though, the reason why you put it high like that is so the cops don't see it when they walk up to your car. Again you could put a switch there or unplug the thing so it don't buzz when the cop is at your window.
Old 4/19/05, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did you make sure you hooked the power lead into the dead side of the fuse? That way if there is a short you are protected by the fuse in the fusebox.
Old 4/19/05, 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jwede@April 19, 2005, 3:02 PM
Did you make sure you hooked the power lead into the dead side of the fuse? That way if there is a short you are protected by the fuse in the fusebox.
If I remember correctly, right side is dead and thats were I put it...
Old 4/19/05, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by drizztbob+April 19, 2005, 3:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drizztbob @ April 19, 2005, 3:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jwede@April 19, 2005, 3:02 PM
If I remember correctly, right side is dead and thats were I put it...
[/b][/quote]
You can find out for sure with a 12V test light but I think you are right...just to be safe if you took out the inline fuse on the power lead....

Great job on the install!!
Old 4/19/05, 05:46 PM
Cobra R Member

My Passport 8500 x50 arrives tomorrow. Wonderfull timing. I bought the direct wire smartcord accessory. As well as a visor clip and earphone. It comes with a smart cord included. My thought would be to wire it up. Keep the smart cord in the case in my trunk. If I am stopped and have to explain, I will say the power source is locked up in my trunk officer. Just waiting to get into MD, NC or WV. Living in VA stinks sometimes.

Has any one mounted these things in any unusual places? I was thinking of putting one inside a gauge consol, that goes on top of the dash or something....
Old 4/19/05, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by drizztbob@April 19, 2005, 4:16 PM
The first pic is the fuse box under the kick plate and the 10amp fuse I choose that is "hot" so it will go off and on with my ignition. This is where you will be putting your power wire.
[attachmentid=18400]

eek I just looked at the owner's manual and the fuse you tapped into is for the "Restraint Control Module, Passenger Occupant detection system, and passenger airbag deactivation indicator". I think I would pick something else? Taking a lot of risk there.

I wonder if the radio always has juice? There must be some kind of power there that only starts when the car is on...
Old 4/19/05, 07:44 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dustin. I used the radio fuse to power my amp for my subwoofer. I tapped in just like drizz did, but again, used the radio fuse. The radio fuse turns on / off with the ignition.
Don't take the plastic off the door, but take the plastic trim pieces off the door frame. That'll give you easy access to the fuse box... it's impossible to work with with the kick panel trim on.
(responding to PM)
Old 4/19/05, 07:47 PM
Cobra R Member

What about the time delay radio play with the ignition key out? Would that effect it in any harmful way?
Old 4/19/05, 07:49 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can see no reason at all why it'd hurt it.
Old 4/19/05, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dustindu4+April 19, 2005, 5:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ April 19, 2005, 5:58 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-drizztbob@April 19, 2005, 4:16 PM
[attachmentid=18400]

eek I just looked at the owner's manual and the fuse you tapped into is for the "Restraint Control Module, Passenger Occupant detection system, and passenger airbag deactivation indicator". I think I would pick something else? Taking a lot of risk there.

I wonder if the radio always has juice? There must be some kind of power there that only starts when the car is on...
[/b][/quote]

I looked into that. Strangely enough, the spot where the radio fuse, which is the upper right spot 20, when removing the fuse, the radio did not turn off. When trying to use that spot, the detector did not turn. And the deactivation indicator still turns on and off when someone sits in the seat so we are all good.

Quick Reply: Radar dectector Hard install steps