2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Question: When is the absolute last moment that you need to fillup on gas?

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/07, 05:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHA Jokes! I wish I had a countdown. Dont really need it though I can count down by minutes and watch my guage go down!
Old 10/3/07, 09:38 PM

Wont it just start flashing or something when it gets bad?.....
BAH-HAHAHAHA
Old 10/3/07, 11:17 PM

As stated previously it overworks your fuel pump when you go really low. Also the fuel is what helps cool it down so if you run low like that all the time you will be putting a new pump in at 50,000.
Old 10/4/07, 02:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

i went down to 1 to E.

u guys are crazy
Old 10/4/07, 04:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have the fancy trip computer so I just math with my trip odometer.
Old 10/4/07, 08:19 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Im not sure how accurate the Stang's trip meter is, but the carputer on our Mountaineer is usually right on target. When its zero miles to empty, 5 miles is about all you are gonna get. I usually fill up around a quarter tank or so, sometimes an 1/8, but lately, I've been having to fill up at a half tank or so, because I hate having to stop in the middle of my 2.5 hour drive and get gas.
Old 10/4/07, 09:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually won't fill up until the 50 miles or less turns on. Even then, since my commute is so short, I more often than not fill up near 10 miles to E. Road trips though, I look for gas as soon as 50 turns on. Don't want to be stranded.
Old 10/4/07, 09:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand the fuel cools the pump, but overworking it? Come on.
Old 10/4/07, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

I killed the fuel pump in my 92 LX recently running the gas too low. But that was a 100K mile 15 year old pump.
Old 10/4/07, 11:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Phorty
I killed the fuel pump in my 92 LX recently running the gas too low. But that was a 100K mile 15 year old pump.
It's posible it was the 100K and 15 years that did it in and not the runing low on gas.
Old 10/4/07, 12:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Or 15 years worth of junk floating around in the tank that the pump sucked up when the level got too low.
Old 10/4/07, 11:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There you go! Run it low EVERY time so it sucks up that little bit of junk and gets rid of it instead of letting it build up into a mountain of crap that it can't handle!
Old 10/5/07, 01:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I believe its about .7 to .8 gallons left in the tank when it reads 0 miles to empty. I have filled mine up many times and tried to calculate it in my head and thats about what I came up with. Its real hard to get the last 1.2 gallons in the tank though. I had my "slow to fill" tank replaced under the TSB a long time ago and its better but the pump still shuts off with about 1-1.2 gallons to go. Adding the .7 gallons and the 1.2 gallons together there is a lot of guessing still going on.
Old 10/5/07, 04:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRoamer
There you go! Run it low EVERY time so it sucks up that little bit of junk and gets rid of it instead of letting it build up into a mountain of crap that it can't handle!
Haha, that's my wifes theory!
Old 10/5/07, 08:20 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I dont think women realize that they can put gas in the car. Everytime I have to drive my mom's, it's always empty, and then its $60 to fill it up, I cant stand jut half filling it or w/e.
Old 10/5/07, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Question: When is the absolute last moment that you need to fillup on gas?

Right before you run out of gas would be my answer.......
Old 10/5/07, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

All I can tell you is that I don't know...why? Because my father gave me really good advice a long, long time ago...he told me to never let your fuel tank get below a the halfway mark... and I never have...and personally I think that there should be a fine for allowing your car to run out of fuel (I've seen it happen in tunnels, on highways, etc.,)...there's never an excuse for not knowing how much fuel you have your tank (only excuse...is if the fuel sending unit/gauge is defective)...
Old 10/15/07, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

To interject my two Lincolns into this conversation, I will say this. In my '06, I have ran out of gas twice. The first time was on the Interstate around midnight (I thought I could make it to the next exit gas station) some time late last year. The other time, was back on September 30th of this year. The second time was intentional, as I wanted to see how far I could go on a tank of gas before the car was completely out. I took my Mustang out on a stretch of road in the area where there's literally several gas stations on each side of the road for about three-quarters to one mile. In any case, the '06 had cut off on me a few feet away from the nearest station. It took me restarting the car twice (to get a little bit of go) but I made it to a gas station. I looked at my gauges and saw that I had used 17.0 gallons of gas, which is right on par because in the previous month (weekend cruiser, she gets filled pretty much once every 20 - 25 days), it took about 17.0 gallons to fill her up.

I have never gone by the miles to empty indicator on my gauges, but rather the amount of fuel used indicator and how many miles per gallon I am getting out of my tank. In my opinion it gives me a better understanding of where I am as far as gas is concerned. My warning light (when the headlights are on) comes on once around 20 MILES TO E but only briefly and returns full time whenl I reach 13 - 12 MILES TO E. I drive what I consider to be a pretty good distance to work each day (about 70 miles round trip) so I like to get all I can out of a tank of gas before I absolutely have to refuel. I've done this when I had my '03 Cavalier (no problems to report) and I do this on my '03 Mustang daily driver and my '06 Mustang weekend/fairweather cruiser. I think I can safely say that for me, that the absolute farthest I can go on a tank of gas without running out, is within two-tenths of the amount it took me to refuel at the last fill up. That means if I put 16.7 gallons of gas in my Mustang my last time at the pump, I will run her until she reaches 16.4 - 16.5 then I take her in to a gas station that I like for her refill. This concept hasn't fail me thus far and I've been using it on the '06 pretty much from the start once I got a grasp on the 0 MILES TO E thing, and the GALLONS USED indicator.

I'm pretty sure I've gone as much as 40 miles after my MILES TO E indicator reaches zero. I definitely know for sure I've gone in excess of 30 on more than one occasion. Oh at my last fill up, it took exactly 17.309 gallons of fuel to replenish my car from bone dry to completely full if anyone was interested. If anyone is interested in seeing my gas log, I have no problems posting it, as I like to keep track out how many miles and gallons used I am getting out of each tank of gas.

Just thought I'd throw my experiences in.
Old 10/15/07, 09:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I dont think women realize that they can put gas in the car. Everytime I have to drive my mom's, it's always empty, and then its $60 to fill it up, I cant stand jut half filling it or w/e.
Dude, you must be a youngster. After you get a little older, you'll figure out that the way to deal with this female problem is to put in exactly how much gas you intend to use ($7) and return the car back to her with exactly what it had when you started. Empty. See right now, she's got you figured out. She gives you the car empty and you return it with the better portion of the tank full. She's got a nice little system goin there.

You need to out smart her man.
Old 10/16/07, 01:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Dude, you must be a youngster. After you get a little older, you'll figure out that the way to deal with this female problem is to put in exactly how much gas you intend to use ($7) and return the car back to her with exactly what it had when you started. Empty. See right now, she's got you figured out. She gives you the car empty and you return it with the better portion of the tank full. She's got a nice little system goin there.

You need to out smart her man.
Yep, use the Enterprise rental car policy. Return it with the same amount of gas. I once got a rental Taurus with an almost empty tank. I returned it with half a tank of gas because I just wanted to get rid of the POS. Had it been a Shelby GT-H, I probably would have kept driving around until the gas ran down to E.

Quick Reply: Question: When is the absolute last moment that you need to fillup on gas?