2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Question: When is the absolute last moment that you need to fillup on gas?

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/07, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: When is the absolute last moment that you need to fillup on gas?

Answer: About 12 miles after your car says "0 miles until empty" or around "14.8 gallons used" (if you reset on every fillup) on your dash display.

My engine sputtered a little on the interstate and then completely shut off on the off-ramp. I started it up again and made it about 500ft before it stuttered and sputtered to a complete stop. God, I'm such an idiot. I actually rocked back and forth while starting hoping that the 1.2 gallons of gas left in the tank would slosh in the right direction and maybe I could make it another 1000ft to the gas station.

I put my blinkers on and before I could walk 30ft from my car, a truck a few lanes over in traffic honked at me. The driver offered me a gallon of gas he had in his truck and as I was thanking and paying him profusely, he was like "don't worry about it.. I have an '07 redfire mustang.. happened to me before too." But I muscled him into taking my $10 and then went straight to the gas station.

Interestingly, the pump registered 14.4 gallons and the guy put in 1 gallon... so that means I had 15.4 gallons put in just now - and I had only 0.6 gallons left?

My trip-puter claimed I had only used 14.8 gallons since my last fillup.. (1.2 gallons left)

Which one is right? Also, the pump had a label saying it was "oxygenated" gas - does that mean actual bubbles of oxygen in the gas or is it dissolved in the liquid?
Old 10/3/07, 09:24 AM

you really should never go below a quarter tank because itthen puts stress on your fuel pump because there is less pressure from gravity helping it. In my auto class, we have seen several pumps with worn reeds due to this and it isnt covered by warranty.
Old 10/3/07, 10:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
I've gone as low as 5 miles past "0 miles to empty", and it said I used 15.2 gallons. Then I lost my nerve and hit the gas station. never sputtered once and the pump agreed that it was 15.2gal. How much you put in the tank depends on where you fill up because the pressure cutoff switches on the individual nozzles are different. I've had some that didn't cut off until gas came spilling out of the breather tube, and other ones that still left 1 or 2 gallons worth of space inside the tank.

stiggy, why wouldn't that be covered under warranty? no where in the owners manual do they say you should fill up when you get to 1/4 tank, and they never warn you about this. There's gotta be some kind of legality against denying warranty for something like a common use of the car.
Old 10/3/07, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stiggy
you really should never go below a quarter tank because itthen puts stress on your fuel pump because there is less pressure from gravity helping it. In my auto class, we have seen several pumps with worn reeds due to this and it isnt covered by warranty.
Isn't the fuel pump attached to the top of the tank? If so, the gravity theory doesn't make any sense.

The explanation I've heard is the fuel in the tank surrounds the pump and keeps it cool. Although I pretty much always wait till I'm around 1/8 or less to fill up and have never had a fuel pump fail on the many vehicles I've had over the years, some with well over 100K miles.
Old 10/3/07, 11:07 AM
GT Member

While not a huge concern with a new car, an alomost empty tank causes sediments to clog the fuel pump.
I would never intentionally do that to my car.
Old 10/3/07, 11:11 AM

I should have been more clear, aftermarket companies will not warranty you if they see heavily worn reeds, in our case, whatever supplier my school uses. And with the fuel pump being at the top, although it is inserted into the top, it sits at the bottom.
Old 10/3/07, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stiggy
I thought this was a myth...
Old 10/3/07, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
stiggy, why wouldn't that be covered under warranty? no where in the owners manual do they say you should fill up when you get to 1/4 tank, and they never warn you about this. There's gotta be some kind of legality against denying warranty for something like a common use of the car.

I dont know what our owners manual says since I Dont have one, but I have had owners manuals warn against running OUT of gas. I think I even had one advising against belowing a 1/4 tank, but not sure on that one my brain could be making thigs up

Either way I like to stay on the safe side of things and fill up shortly after I reach the 1/4 tank mark
Old 10/3/07, 12:28 PM

Yeah, I usually fill up right around the "50 miles to empty" warning, but this time I wanted to go down to 0 so I could refill with 93 octane (so another tank after that, I can safely run the 93 octane tune). The thing is, I was almost empty yesterday, but I forgot to get gas on my way home. Then I decided I wanted to get gas by work (about 20-30 cents/gallon cheaper) this morning... just bad judgement on my part.
Old 10/3/07, 12:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently noticed all this noted here and I was down to 19 to go. I have noticed when you are pumping hot gas, here in the midwest it plays havoc on the computer and mileage data. I also noticed the miles to go varies as well depending on when you fuel and where you fuel. This is all in my personal theory but I only drive my car maybe 2-3 days a week.
Old 10/3/07, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

While we are on the topic of gas in the car, when does the gas gauge illuminate red? At what "miles till empty"?
Old 10/3/07, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by StangPower05
While we are on the topic of gas in the car, when does the gas gauge illuminate red? At what "miles till empty"?
Haven't tested, but my guess would be at 50, when the warning turns on.
Old 10/3/07, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm pretty sure it's 10.
Old 10/3/07, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Gauge turns red at 10 miles to empty or less, and only when your lights are on, which I thought was wierd, unless my car is broken
Old 10/3/07, 01:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it only turns red when the lights are on. Strange how that is, seems like it should turn red anytime, not just night time.
Old 10/3/07, 02:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I went about a mile or 2 once it read 0 miles to empty, getting all the 87 out for the 93 tune.

I managed to pump 16.26 gallons in her.

Also had the guage turn red at anywhere from 7-15 miles to empty, it never seems to be the same.

Old 10/3/07, 04:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang! I have gone 15 miles past "0 miles to empty" and even then I only put in 15.5 gallons. I have NEVER put in more than 15.5 gallons. I probably SHOULD fill up when it hits a 1/4 tank, but that means I have to fill up 33% more often!!!
Old 10/3/07, 04:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is consistantly @ 10 miles to empty and the lights must be on, but mine has a glitch and if I have the mycolor set to red it turns on from fillup
Old 10/3/07, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

What about us with out the fancy count down man??
Old 10/3/07, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

they made thme without a fancy count down? wow had no idea

Quick Reply: Question: When is the absolute last moment that you need to fillup on gas?