2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Question for Sales Guys

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/05, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question for the sales guys and gals out there.

What is common practice for a trade in that has over 100K miles?
I was put in a situation a couple of months ago where I needed transortation in a bad way. I lost the tranny in my Bronco and wasn't going to put any more money into it. I bought a 2000 Expedition with 115K miles on it. I was waiting until later this spring to order my Mustang, because I wanted to have money for a down payment. My Bronco was paid for, and now I have a car payment with the Expedition. I owe few thousand under average book value, according to NADA, I owe about 1K under average trade-in. I don't car if I get average trade-in for it, I just want to have the loan paid so that I'm not rolling negative equity into the new loan. My question is: do dealers typically take a trade over 100K miles if the book to value is still pretty good. It's in excellent shape. What do you guys think my chances are of getting out of this truck to get into a new Mustang. I'll be getting X-plan as well... do I play that card after I work the trade in deal? What's your perspective on this?
Old 3/2/05, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

you'll most likely get wholesale value, which is under trade in. NADA is typically high on prices, I would look into KBB. I always hate trading in cars, you might try running an ad on autotrader or something. You would get the most for it then. Or, take it by carmax, just to get a ballpark idea.

Good luck
Old 3/2/05, 11:27 AM
Cobra Member

Carmax would be a great idea, except that there aren't any Carmax dealers in Colorado... and every time I have applied for loans, NADA seems to be the guide that gives the most accurate prices for the mountain states... I've seen that KBB was more accurate for the east coast... but.... I've been wrong before.
I know I'll get more for it on an outright sale, but that is such a PITA... last couple of times I sold a car using Auto Trader or the papers, it took forevvvvvvver to sell... I wasn't askin' too much, it's just that there was a ton of competition. Expeditions are all over the friggin' place here.... popular area for 4x4s.
Old 3/2/05, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

You might try totalling it.

I totalled my trade (about three months early) and the insurance company paid out rather well. They had a problem puttinga value on my SHO as they couldn't find any to compare it to. I got 3K more than I expected for a trade.
Old 3/2/05, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

so I checke KBB for the "trade-in" value.... of course they say that's what you can expect to get on a trade in... as far as KB goes, is this still different from wholesale?
Totaling it is an option... but what if I die in the process? then my wife get's the liffe insurance, buys herself a Cobra, and a house, and then the new boyfriend is driving my car, and kissin' on my wife....
on second thought, it's a bad idea.
Old 3/2/05, 11:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@March 2, 2005, 12:39 PM
so I checke KBB for the "trade-in" value.... of course they say that's what you can expect to get on a trade in... as far as KB goes, is this still different from wholesale?
Totaling it is an option... but what if I die in the process? then my wife get's the liffe insurance, buys herself a Cobra, and a house, and then the new boyfriend is driving my car, and kissin' on my wife....
Old 3/2/05, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not sure where someone would find the wholesale value (seeing as how it is what a comprable car sold for in a local auction). It changes constantly and is influenced by location, time of year, popularity, and other factors. Typically it's the trade in value - about $1000. Hope this helps.

Good Luck
Old 3/2/05, 03:58 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by clintoris@March 2, 2005, 1:39 PM
... Totaling it is an option... on second thought, it's a bad idea.
Accidental fires do happen.
Just make sure the wife and boyfriend take it for a spin.

Old 3/2/05, 04:03 PM
V6 Member

Removed by John - posting error.
Old 3/2/05, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by clintoris@March 2, 2005, 12:39 PM
Then again, may be it will self combust while sitting in your driveway:

Ford Recall, Part III

Old 3/2/05, 05:26 PM
V6 Member

It depends on your dealer I suppose. I checked blue book value on my 87 Buick GN on the KBB site. $5500 in my cars condition or $10000 mint. Needed paint but had only 45000 miles on the engine and tranny. But I figured I would take $4500 to save me the hassle of selling it. I tried two different ford dealers both offered me $500 for it. This is what they told me " to us it is an old car that needs paint." Needless to say I was almost livid. I ended up making a private sell for $5000. I then bought my mustang from a different dealer (didn't try the trade in there). It is unlikely I will ever go to the other dealerships again. It is also unlikely that I will ever try a trade in again. I have never gotten what a car was worth from a dealer. They always screw you.
Old 3/2/05, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just from reading this thread, no wonder insurance rates are going up nationwide.
Old 3/2/05, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mas35NYR@March 2, 2005, 7:25 PM
Just from reading this thread, no wonder insurance rates are going up nationwide.
I didn't intentionally hit the deer. Anyway, they are hard to get to stand still. I took what the insurance company offered.
Old 3/3/05, 07:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a 97 T-Bird with 115,000 miles on it. KBB said dealer trade would be about $2000. The dealer offered me $800.

I declined and kept the T-Bird. My thought for the low ball was that since I had an X-plan and the dealer di d not make much money on the sale, he would try to make up for it on the trade-in. So he low-balled me.
Old 3/3/05, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

perhaps I ought to ask my neighbor.... he's one of the sales guys for the nearest Ford dealer....

however, I haven't been in for the recall, so it may just catch fire. Think a little bit of lighter fluid will get that cruise controll going?

This thing is all but imaculate, so I hope I don't get raked over the coals, but I guess I'll just have to get off my lead filled A and go on down to the dealer. I just don't want to put an order in for a car unless I know I'll have this Expedition out from under me for sure. I'm sure I woulnd't be able to get financing for the Mustang until I'm cleared of this loan... I'd be over extended I'm sure.... I'd be completely shocked if I found out otherwise.