2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

A question for Brad and suggestion to Ford

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/04, 06:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brad, I was wondering if, since this website has become so well respected and popular (Great job! ) as far as all things 2005 Mustang that Ford people and aftermarket people browse it, do they hear and see what we're wanting? We all know that Team Mustang people and reps for aftermarket companies (Team Shinoda for example) are either memebers here or just visit often. But what I'm wondering is, when we make threads of things we want, or photoshops of what we'd like to see on the Mustang or have Special Editions look like, have you ever heard from those people that they acknowledge they know what we want and are either considering it or possibly designing it? We have super talented photoshopers that can design what we'd like a Boss, Mach 1, Bullitt, etc too look like. They can design a spoiler or wheel combo or color that we want and like. Do the people at Ford and etc realize this and act on it? Have you ever asked that to H.T.T. or anyone you've been lucky enough to talk to? If not, I think that would be a great question to ask.

And as far as Ford personel and aftermarket company reps, realize some of the things that we want. I see what Team Shinoda has planned for their next Boss, or Roush's next version of their car and more people than not either hate it or just don't care for it. Why not see and hear what we want and go from there. I'm not expecting a Chazron photoshop to be put into production, but something based similar to them or others would be nice.

Does anyone agree with me or think the same way I do on any of this? Or am I off in my own little dream world?
Old 12/6/04, 06:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am pretty sure no one from Roush has ever visited this site, at least not before they designed the car.
Old 12/6/04, 06:36 PM
Cobra Member

I figured they didn't but I don't know who has and who hasn't visited here. Just used the fugly Roush as an example. I still can't get over that thing.
Old 12/6/04, 06:42 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I haven't heard anything from Roush specifically, but I know Ford employees frequent this site every day.
Old 12/6/04, 06:48 PM
Cobra Member

I know they frequent here. But do you know if they are listening/seeing what we want and thinking about trying any of it? Have you ever asked one of them when you get a chance to talk with them "Hey, someone did a photoshop of _______ and it looked awesome. Have you seen it or considered trying something like that?" If nothing else, it might give us a hint or eliminate something we're all gossiping about.

And I just used Roush and Team Shinoda as examples. I don't know what aftermarket people come here and who don't.
Old 12/6/04, 06:56 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have no doubts
The job, is separating the good idea's from the 'crap/wishlist/ain'tgonnaflywithbeancounters'
Old 12/6/04, 09:56 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Not possible.
It would make too much sense.
Free, and better yet, ACCURATE market research?
Who's ever heard of such a "crazy" idea?
[/sarcasm]

Jason
Old 12/6/04, 10:41 PM
Cobra Member

Good point. :bang:
Old 12/6/04, 10:46 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by holderca1@December 6, 2004, 7:25 PM
I am pretty sure no one from Roush has ever visited this site, at least not before they designed the car.
Old 12/7/04, 09:59 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work for a major aftermarket company, and I can say, we definitely monitor the boards. There are currently multiple 05s on the premises, both in our R&D facility and employee parking lot.
Old 12/7/04, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know a guy here in Indy (kenny brown shop)who looks at TMS regularly.
Old 12/7/04, 11:49 AM
V6 Member

I hope they are paying attention, someone needs to start paying attention. So far, I haven't seen any consistent progress on aftermarket styling. Ford did it best with the concepts, too bad we'll have to wait for those styling cues to play out in future models. It's also too bad that the aftermarket hasn't been able to step up and fill the gap. The general direction seems to be with towel rack rear spoilers which are great if they are actually functional on a track...but unless you're a ricer, probably not what average enthusiasts want for the street. Afterall, we're buying Americana, not a 4 banger Honda. Same goes for the enormous front lip spoiler add-ons that all look tacked on and overly huge. How about some sublety, and/or a nice complete fascia (bumper cover). CDC seems to have some good ideas, but the others seem to be lacking in effort. I may be biased since I would like to see more European design cues used, which incidentally is what much of the original 60's era pony cars and trans am race replicas were also aiming for. Give me some nice aftermarket parts that will differentiate my Mustang from the rental cars and all the others around town, but also something I'm not embarrassed to valet with my girl at a nice restaurant. Yes, I want it all. I don't think I'm asking for too much. Really...if you were to take the parts off any of the tuners cars and put them in a pile, not one of us could identify them as 'Mustang' parts. They are all just tacked on ideas, with little purpose, no point, and no style. Very few of the parts I've seen or cars I've seen convey a complete, flowing or graceful idea. Seems like they sat around a table and said:

Hey 'we need a big-hiney spoiler on the back', and someone else said, yeah, and another one on the front...and some other guy said alright, how about a big hiney crowned hood to go with it? Cool, let's slap some has-been wheels on there and call it a day...someone pass me that JC Whitney catalog and find me the MOST generic front spoiler and rear spoiler in there.'

Thanks for listening,
Josh B)
Old 12/7/04, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

ahum... Steeda? Roush?

You are soooo right. I have yet to see any accessory for the 05 that I really like. Why on earth is noone doing a nicely styled Eleanor front bumper cover? Why is noone doing a "concept" body kit. Why is noone doing a concept pony grill insert replacement. That's the stuff a broad audience will appreciate. We don't need no yesteryears wheels with wrong offset, old model front lips, taped on duck tails, glass roofs or tarmac scraping platic bolt on spoilers.
Old 12/7/04, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey, I like the glass roof

Jason
Old 12/7/04, 03:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Gee Josh, pretty harsh there.

Oh yeah, all too often true, by the way!

Most of the custom ponies do little for me. I see little touches here and there I like, but overall - no thanks.

Give me a bone stock Mustang. It looks better - to me personally, that is - than any of the aftermarket stuff so far. The only thing that does look better is - the concepts from Ford. The coupe concept makes we want to be alone with it for a while in a dark room and. . .

Sorry, lost it again for a minute.
Old 12/7/04, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

I concur, I can be a harsh critic, and I guess I'm just really, really disappointed because I, like many of you, have waited years for this car to make it off the production line, yet, I can't bring myself to go buy one just yet because I'm not that interested in keeping it stock, yet there isn't much drawing me to the aftermarket. I typically spend anywhere from $3K to $10K on aftermarket parts for each of my cars, so I'm not just blowing smoke up my own ****.

I sold my Dinan M3 this summer to make room for what I envisioned as the perfect car, a retro Mustang with modern convenience. So far, I can't bring myself to ante up for the car until I see that I can create what I want. I just figured there would be much greater variety of styled parts available, but they all look the same, and fugly at that. It's all just my opinion, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one that feels the same way. I've seen little attempt at any Shelby, Mach, Boss, or at this point I'd even take some King Cobra II ideas and give them a good look. These parts could really allow enthusiasts to have fun with their Mustang and use what looked best on them to begin with to make their dream car. Instead, we have a bunch of generic spoilers that are trendy...ahem...WERE trendy about 2 years ago. Like I said before, the Steeda wheels are knock-offs of my old SSR Integrals (which most people thought were passe to begin with) back in 1999 on my 328. Someone out there just show some effort, that's all I ask. Seems like they're trying too hard to not be retro, when in fact that is the principal beauty of the car to begin with. There is a reason the GT500's and similar cars have become the object of many enthusiasts' desire, because they were hot. Give me that feeling in a car today, and I'm there.

Hopeful in MN,
Josh
Old 12/7/04, 04:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Eric B@December 7, 2004, 1:52 PM
ahum... Steeda? Roush?

You are soooo right. I have yet to see any accessory for the 05 that I really like. Why on earth is noone doing a nicely styled Eleanor front bumper cover? Why is noone doing a "concept" body kit. Why is noone doing a concept pony grill insert replacement. That's the stuff a broad audience will appreciate. We don't need no yesteryears wheels with wrong offset, old model front lips, taped on duck tails, glass roofs or tarmac scraping platic bolt on spoilers.
BTW, I agree with you 100%, those are almost my thoughts exactly...
Old 12/7/04, 05:28 PM

I nominate Josh as our official spokesman to the aftermarket companies.
I agree with you 100%, Josh. Those guys have no clue what they're doing.

Jason
Old 12/7/04, 05:53 PM
V6 Member

The aftermarket companies have been told by Ford what is off limits......nothing else makes sense. If you haven't seen it, than expect to see it in 2006 as a 2007....
Old 12/7/04, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Clutch@December 7, 2004, 6:56 PM
The aftermarket companies have been told by Ford what is off limits......nothing else makes sense. If you haven't seen it, than expect to see it in 2006 as a 2007....
Ford told the aftermarket companies "good taste" is off limits?
j/k I'm sure you're talking about copying the concept and the Boss/Mach 1 stuff.
Surely they are creative enough to come up with other designs though.

Jason

Quick Reply: A question for Brad and suggestion to Ford