2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Pypes Violator Axle-Backs, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/07, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Pypes Violator Axle-Backs, thoughts?

What are some opinions on the Pypes Violator Axle-Backs? Is it worth the extra $75+ to get the T-304 SS version or is the T-409 SS version sufficient enough?

How does it sound, and how badly does it drone compared to the FRPP Stingers, SLP Loudmouths, and the FRPP GTA's?
Old 9/25/07, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I haven't ridden inside a car with that system, but I can tell you from hearing several cars from the outside, that the system sure does sound good. It has a deeper and slightly louder sound than stock from what I remember.
Old 9/25/07, 09:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my Violators. Go with the polished. Mine are starting to rust a tad (just on the surface) on the bottom and I plan on buying the polished next year. But the sound is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM3EVQraxbI
Old 9/25/07, 09:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
I love my Violators. Go with the polished. Mine are starting to rust a tad (just on the surface) on the bottom and I plan on buying the polished next year. But the sound is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM3EVQraxbI
Those do sound pretty good!
Old 9/25/07, 10:44 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Overall I've been very pleased with the 304 SS Violators..They have a deep muscle car tone, and are louder than stock, but nothing like SLP loudmouths or FRPP stingers..I also like how great they sound with the factory catted H-pipe, and haven't noticed any drone at all..IMHO the Pypes Violators offer the best bang for the buck muffler, especially in 304 grade Stainless Steel, when compared to higher priced systems such as Magnaflow, FRPP Stingers, SLP, and MAC !
Old 9/26/07, 10:50 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have them and am real satisfied as well. Get the polished they look nicer. The tone is deep and it sounds great. I get a very slight drone but it is hardly noticable. Turn the radio on and you will never notice.
Old 9/26/07, 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Is it a straight-through louvered tube? How does it compare to the Magnaflow, which is a straight through perforated tube?
Old 9/26/07, 03:06 PM

Yes ! the Violators are a straight through louvered tube design, which also has mini sound deflectors that provide that deep throaty sound, similar to a chambered axle back, only not as loud.
Old 9/26/07, 03:14 PM

I've also listened to Magnaflows, and IMHO ! they have a slightly higher pitched tone than stock, and are also too quiet
Old 10/9/07, 02:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

How hard was it to install the Violators? Did you have to modify anything or adjust anything?

Can you see if a magnet is attracted the T304SS Violator muffler shell, tip, rear pipe and the internal pipe?
Old 10/9/07, 03:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Installation was a breeze on mine. I had to loosen the passenger over-axle clamp from the the h pipe and twist that a hair, but otherwise they lined up perfect.

I will check them out with a magnet tonight when I get home, if I can remember. I personally like them 10x better than the magnaflows on my '05 side exhaust. Even with the stock h pipe, they didn't sound very muscle car like and when I added the off road pipe, it made it worse. I'll be replacing those with the Pypes mufflers from the mid muffler system.
Old 10/10/07, 05:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks DarkFireGT! Your Scarlett video rocks!

Rocky: I agree - I've heard Magnaflows on other cars in the past and they all sound "tinny" and raspy. A friend had a 99 Crown vic (4.6L 2V) with an Eaton M90 supercharger. He had a full custom exhaust from the manifolds-back: 2.5" T-304 X-pipe with magnaflows and 2.5" tailpipes. It sounded NICE but even he commented that it almost sounded like a "ricer" because of the higher pitch.

I was listening to the few Violator videos on YouTube and I now remember where I heard the exhaust sound before. It seems to be similar to the SLP Loudmouths, but it reminded me of my 00 Crown Vic (4.6L 2V) with all exhaust parts removed aft of the cats (so basically I had stock logs and the 4 cats). I drove it like that around the block and it sounded LOUD but awesome. The Violators *seemed* to give off a similar exhaust tone.

Do the Violators + stock H pipe/cats give off a really deep tone at lower RPMs? Does it remain about the same pitch at higher RPMs?

I would have wanted to try the FRPP 5GT or Steeda Axle-Backs, but the cost too much for axle-back mufflers. Essentially they're more than $200 per muffler. I remember when T304 SS polished mufflers cost about $100 each (reasonable price). The new FRPP SVT GTAs cost $700-$800 which is insane for 2 cans welded with pipes and tips.
Old 10/10/07, 09:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by metroplex

Rocky: I agree - I've heard Magnaflows on other cars in the past and they all sound "tinny" and raspy. A friend had a 99 Crown vic (4.6L 2V) with an Eaton M90 supercharger. He had a full custom exhaust from the manifolds-back: 2.5" T-304 X-pipe with magnaflows and 2.5" tailpipes. It sounded NICE but even he commented that it almost sounded like a "ricer" because of the higher pitch.

I was listening to the few Violator videos on YouTube and I now remember where I heard the exhaust sound before. It seems to be similar to the SLP Loudmouths, but it reminded me of my 00 Crown Vic (4.6L 2V) with all exhaust parts removed aft of the cats (so basically I had stock logs and the 4 cats). I drove it like that around the block and it sounded LOUD but awesome. The Violators *seemed* to give off a similar exhaust tone.

Do the Violators + stock H pipe/cats give off a really deep tone at lower RPMs? Does it remain about the same pitch at higher RPMs?

I would have wanted to try the FRPP 5GT or Steeda Axle-Backs, but the cost too much for axle-back mufflers. Essentially they're more than $200 per muffler. I remember when T304 SS polished mufflers cost about $100 each (reasonable price). The new FRPP SVT GTAs cost $700-$800 which is insane for 2 cans welded with pipes and tips.
Thanks. To me, the Violators have the same tone as the stock mufflers. Just deeper and a big louder. They stay deeper than stock through the entire RPM range. But they definitely retain the musclecar sound. Our '05 has Magnaflows, and I can definitely relate to everything you're saying. My fiance doesn't want me to change them, but I think they sound a bit ricey.

I couldn't find much in the way of magnets. I have an old screwdriver that has a very weak one in it. I could get it to stick to the body and rear pipe, but not the tip. I also have the T409 non-polished, with T304SS tips. But like I said, it's a really weak magnet.
Old 10/10/07, 07:46 PM

It all depends on whether the Magnaflows were ran with an X-pipe, or H ? if they were ran with an X ? then this would explain the higher pitched, raspy/tinny sound. Although I have nothing personal against the Magnaflows ! their just too over priced IMHO. The Violators on the other hand, do give off a deeper exhaust note than stock at all RPM's, even with the stock H-pipe/cats. Which are more than loud enough for me, just the way they are. As for those new FRPP SVT mufflers ? Ford must think their either made of gold, or sterling silver to cost nearly 1kbut your absolutely right ! it's complete insanity to pay $700-$800 for just 2 lousy tin cans, with a couple of pipes, and tips welded to them. As far as I'm concerned ! Ford can just keep them lol.
Old 10/10/07, 08:44 PM
Cobra R Member

No crap. Violators are less than half the price and sound excellent. It's a no brainer. Personally, I think the FRPP mufflers are a bit high-pitched in comparison.
Old 10/11/07, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Rocky: He had an X-pipe, I'm sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

I had Dynomax Ultra Flos on my Crown Vic and they sounded high pitched/tinny when the perforated tubes were still there. Once everything rusted and blew out the exhaust, I got massive drone and it sounded DEEP.
Old 10/11/07, 05:06 PM

Rocky: He had an X-pipe, I'm sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

I had Dynomax Ultra Flos on my Crown Vic and they sounded high pitched/tinny when the perforated tubes were still there. Once everything rusted and blew out the exhaust, I got massive drone and it sounded DEEP.
Now that you mention perforated tubes ! If I'm not mistaken Charlie, doesn't Magnaflows also have the same type of tube design, as Dynomax ? and if they do ! then it's very possible their tube design, may also be a contributing factor of sounding higher pitched and tinny as well Oh and Btw: I finally located a decent magnet, and just finished testing my T-304 SS Violators. Anyhow the magnet didn't even come close to sticking anywhere on the muffler casings, tips, or pipes connecting to the over the axle pipes at all..But it sure did stick to both the stock over the axle pipes, and my stock mufflers, except for the tips..Anyway ! we now all know that the T-304 SS Violators are the real deal
Old 10/11/07, 05:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Now that you mention perforated tubes ! If I'm not mistaken Charlie, doesn't Magnaflows also have the same type of tube design, as Dynomax ? and if they do ! then it's very possible their tube design, may also be a contributing factor of sounding higher pitched and tinny as well Oh and Btw: I finally located a decent magnet, and just finished testing my T-304 SS Violators. Anyhow the magnet didn't even come close to sticking anywhere on the muffler casings, tips, or pipes connecting to the over the axle pipes at all..But it sure did stick to both the stock over the axle pipes, and my stock mufflers, except for the tips..Anyway, now we all know the T-304 SS Violators, are the real deal

Rocky,
They are truely 304 SS. The magnet won't even try to stick to 304 but it will hang tight to 409 SS.
Scott
Old 10/11/07, 06:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Rocky, will the magnet stick to the internal pipe of the Violator?

Yes, I think the perforated holes are what can cause the higher pitched sound. I looked at a co-worker's Bassanis and the internal tube (or tubes if it is chambered) is louvered just like the Violators.

I haven't checked the Stingers or the MACs.
Old 10/11/07, 10:28 PM

Charlie, I also placed the magnet into the internal pipe of the Violators, and once again ! no sticking at all..

Quick Reply: Pypes Violator Axle-Backs, thoughts?