2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Power loss/early rev limiter issues

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/22, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power loss/early rev limiter issues

I have a manual 2005 s197 mustang GT with exhaust and a tune on 91 and lately I've experienced some issues while racing.to start I have a parasitic draw draining my battery Im on my 3rd battery now and I cannot find this draw which is the first issue. The second issue is that I have a Bama tuner and aver since the car has died and been revived so many times I believe it has had an effect on the electronics and my tuner no longer recognizes my car, won't show live data, and says it's not married to the vehicle which then brings me to my 3rd problem which is the weird power lossage. If I'm at a stop and I go to do a pull, I'll let out the clutch stomp on it and it seems a touch weaker and it feels like it hits the governor at like 4 grant or 4,500 and just stops accelerating and it's causing me a lot of grief. It does this in most of the lower gears and it's worse the harder I let off the clutch. If anyone has experienced anything like this or have any idea what is going on and could let me know that would be awesome! Just found out that my 1/8th mile time is 10.5 seconds at about 85mph which doesn't seem right and I've driven a stick all my life and when I bought it I know it was faster. Like I said any help would be fantastic thanks!
Old 7/24/22, 01:39 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Regarding your parasitic draw issues, this has been an ongoing issue with the S197 cars beginning in 2005.. If you consider searching the sub-forums by selecting the search function menu, you'll come across plenty of threads which address the parasitic draw issues.. I've attached just a few of them below if interested? As for your Bama tuner no longer being able to recognize your vehicle's ECM, I would highly recommend that you contact American Muscle and bring this to their attention, as this appears to be a software or file corruption related issue.. Meanwhile, hope you'll find the info provided as useful.. Also best of luck and welcome aboard.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...y-dies-528914/
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...attery-547643/
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...d-long-458833/
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...d-help-546928/
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ustang-494090/
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...y-club-483910/
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-issue-542688/
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...elieve-538963/

Old 7/24/22, 01:53 PM

Thank you so much I'm new to the forums here so I'm still figuring it out and I really appreciate your help!
Old 7/24/22, 02:56 PM

Your very welcome Caleb! We're always here to provide support
Old 7/24/22, 06:16 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Hello,

I had an Issue with my SCT Bama Chips Tune in my 07 Gt-500 awhile Back where it would not Return to Stock Tune. To Solve, I had a Ford Tech Reinstall the Stock Tune and Afterwards Everything was Back to Normal & I could Reload any of My Tunes. I believe I caused this Issue myself because I tried to retune with a Low Battery. Most Sn197's are Battery Eaters in my experience and I don't drive her much.

Also anytime you start a Retune Have a FULLY CHARGED Battery & DO NOT STOP in the Middle of the Retune Process if you choose the wrong tune and change your mind.

The Only other Issue with the Cold Air & Tune I ever had was the MAF did not seal well on the C&L Intake and I had to use a Small Bead of Silicone on the MAF, it was not Machined well. At first it kept throwing Lean Codes & Finally It Sucked Part of the O-ring into the Intake & Barely Ran. Luckily I was close to home, I had to continually feather the Throttle to keep er going. But that is how I found out what was up!

That's all I got on this one!

Good Luck!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/24/22 at 06:37 PM.
Old 7/27/22, 10:12 AM

So I did a little research and i didn't find any forums about my power issue but found out my tuner got tripped into demo mode so i switched it and solved my tuner issue but that being said, I flashed the vehicle back to stock to see if my power issue was with a corrupted tune or something like that and i was still experiencing this issue where in any gear if i do a WOT pull it will pull to about 4k rpm and just stop accelerating and it is causing me a lot of headache it literally feels like my governor git set to 4k and half of the time i do a pull its not as powerful as it use to be before this issue accrued. If anyone had any ideas or things i should look at or try that would be fantastic.
Thanks guys!
Old 7/27/22, 12:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
For the power loss issue, I really have no clue -- but suggest you might want to work with a dyno tuner, or a remote tuner who uses datalogging, to figure out what is going on. "Lito" is an excellent remote tuner for these cars and he does use data-logs to see how the car is responding. You could try contacting him at support@tudyno.com ; describe your problem to him and ask him if he thinks he might be able to identify the issue from a datalog and then correct it with a tune. He charges something like $100-150 for a basic tune, including a couple rounds of datalogging and revisions as needed.
Old 7/27/22, 02:41 PM

Awesome i will have to check that out thanks as always!
Old 7/27/22, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Caleb McGinnis
So I did a little research and i didn't find any forums about my power issue but found out my tuner got tripped into demo mode so i switched it and solved my tuner issue but that being said, I flashed the vehicle back to stock to see if my power issue was with a corrupted tune or something like that and i was still experiencing this issue where in any gear if i do a WOT pull it will pull to about 4k rpm and just stop accelerating and it is causing me a lot of headache it literally feels like my governor git set to 4k and half of the time i do a pull its not as powerful as it use to be before this issue accrued. If anyone had any ideas or things i should look at or try that would be fantastic.
Thanks guys!
Caleb! If returning to the stock calibration tune did not resolve your power loss issues? Then I would highly doubt that your power loss issues are tune related.. Therefore, I would recommend that you locate a hand-held scanning tool and connect it to your Mustang's OBDII port and scan for any potential error/trouble codes.. If any trouble codes come up? You can then look them up on Google to narrow down what may be causing your power loss issues.. At any rate, I would consider this as your first step rather than trying to guess what may be causing your power loss issues.. Also providing details such as how many miles are on your Mustang and when the last time your spark plugs and fuel filter were changed?

Originally Posted by Bert
For the power loss issue, I really have no clue -- but suggest you might want to work with a dyno tuner, or a remote tuner who uses datalogging, to figure out what is going on. "Lito" is an excellent remote tuner for these cars and he does use data-logs to see how the car is responding. You could try contacting him at support@tudyno.com ; describe your problem to him and ask him if he thinks he might be able to identify the issue from a datalog and then correct it with a tune. He charges something like $100-150 for a basic tune, including a couple rounds of datalogging and revisions as needed.
If Caleb is continuing to experience power loss issues after returning to the stock calibration tune? I would highly doubt his issues are tune related.. I would suggest that Caleb locate a hand-held scanner and connect to his OBDII port to scan for any potential error/trouble codes..
Old 7/27/22, 04:48 PM

I do know that my engine light is always on due to low catalyst efficiency cause of no cats but i will go see if I can get the codes read and if I find anything I will get back with you. Thanks!
Old 7/27/22, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Caleb McGinnis
I do know that my engine light is always on due to low catalyst efficiency cause of no cats but i will go see if I can get the codes read and if I find anything I will get back with you. Thanks!
The engine light being on due to no cats will not affect your Mustang's performance.. The purpose of the engine light being on is that the rear 02 sensors are not able to read the required voltage/signals caused by removal of the cats and nothing more.. However, you still have not provided us with details, such as how many miles are on your Mustang and when the last time the spark plugs and fuel filter were changed?
These are also factors which can have an impact on your car's performance as well..
Old 7/27/22, 06:06 PM

Oh yes I forgot to mention that my bad I believe it's around 135k now. When I first got the car it had around 96k on it and I have never done plugs or fuel filter on it.
I just got back from Carl Chevrolet (dewy wasn't open) and they pulled the codes. I will have them attached.

Old 7/28/22, 01:51 PM

The codes that are more than likely related to your power loss issues are:
and possibly U1900

You will need to have those codes diagnosed by an automotive technician, preferably by a local Ford dealership... Knowing that your Mustang is 17 years old and has 135k miles on it.. You will most definitely need to replace the spark plugs, as they are worn out and also a contributing factor towards your power loss issues... In addition, you should also most definitely replace the fuel filter and have your coil boots examined as well.. I would also have your fuel injectors checked and possibly the entire electrical and fuel systems diagnosed..

That being said, if this were my car? I would bring it in to a local Ford dealership and have them perform all the diagnostic testing required and have them recommend which steps will be required to correct your power loss issues..

Meanwhile, hope you'll find the info provided as useful..
The following users liked this post:
Bert (7/30/22)
Old 7/30/22, 05:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Agreed, if it was my car I would spend the money to get it checked out by a Ford dealer.

But I might make sure all of the maintenance is up to date first like m05 suggested -- spark plugs, fuel filter, clean throttle body, change/clean air filter. ... ; and be aware that the spark plug change can be problematic, check out the threads on here about that for details
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (7/30/22)
Old 7/30/22, 04:24 PM

Most definitely be very aware of the problematic 3v design spark plugs, as Bert mentioned.. I would recommend searching the sub-forums by selecting the search function menu and type in keywords such as " spark plug removal" and "broken spark plugs"

You'll come across a listing of threads which directly address the 3v spark plugs..
Old 8/1/22, 09:13 AM

Thank yall for the input i will have to look into that stuff and let you know i am however in college so it might be a little while but i appreciate the help!
Old 8/1/22, 02:40 PM

Your very welcome! We're always here to provide support.
Old 8/7/22, 03:05 PM

So here I was able to get a plug out and here are some images of one of the plugs and it really didn't look that bad from what I can tell.
Just a quick update.
Old 8/7/22, 04:00 PM

Can't go by just one plug... While the condition of some may be better over others, all it takes is just one plug to be fouled to affect your vehicle's performance... Therefore, I would have all the plugs checked just to make certain.
Old 8/7/22, 04:39 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Can't go by just one plug... While the condition of some may be better over others, all it takes is just one plug to be fouled to affect your vehicle's performance... Therefore, I would have all the plugs checked just to make certain.
Absolutely agree!

Quick Reply: Power loss/early rev limiter issues