2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Is it possible to pick a build day?

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/07, 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to pick a build day?

I have heard for a while that you should request your car be built on a Monday-Thursday. The thinking behind this is that on Fridays people are just waiting for the weekend, on the weekends the people don't really want to be there, and on Monday people are hung over. I guess ideally you'd want a car built Tuesday-Thursday.

Is it possible to request a build day? Has anyone heard the same thing? Has anyone ever requested something like this? If so, how did you go about it?

Thanks.
Old 9/24/07, 05:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
No
Old 9/24/07, 06:40 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Worry more about what options your going to get. Ford factory employees have different schedules and they are not always working the normal M-F 9 to 5. Just something to think about.
Old 9/24/07, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

It seemed unlikely to me to be able to do that, but I had heard it from a few people. Not just about Ford, but about cars in general. I don't care when it's made so long as it runs well for a long time.

If anyone else has any thoughts I'd like to hear them.

Thanks.
Old 9/25/07, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BossDawg
I have heard for a while that you should request your car be built on a Monday-Thursday. The thinking behind this is that on Fridays people are just waiting for the weekend, on the weekends the people don't really want to be there, and on Monday people are hung over. I guess ideally you'd want a car built Tuesday-Thursday.

Is it possible to request a build day? Has anyone heard the same thing? Has anyone ever requested something like this? If so, how did you go about it?

Thanks.
Those are really ignorant comments. I work in an assembly plant and our quality standards are 2nd to none! And that's Monday through Friday.
Auto workers are no different than the rest of the population. So I can assume that if YOU work in the medical business I shouldn't make an appointment on Fridays because YOU'RE looking forward to the weekend, or Mondays because YOU'RE hungover? Seriously, think about what YOU'RE saying.
Old 9/25/07, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

It would make more sense to be able to pick WHO builds your car, not when. Know what I mean? But that's not possible so you'll just have to trust the quality assurance. American workers are the best. I work on a Boeing 737 assembly line. We are building 28 of them a month right now and I will gladly fly on any of them, reguardless of which "day" it rolled out the door. remember that your car is built of hundreds of parts that are assembled. Those separate parts will have been built on any day of the week too. Just order it and be thankful for a warranty.
If you're really worried about it, buy one off a lot that was built on the day you like. Plus side of that too is you don't have to wait for it to be built.
Old 9/25/07, 06:22 PM
Bullitt Member

TRMN8TR and Crucut,

I'm sorry if I have offended you. I was merely asking a question based on what I had heard others say. A friend of mine is the one that said I should try to specify what day my car is built, and when I asked why he gave me the reasons I put in my original post. More than anything, I was just curious if that was even possible. Again, I'm sorry if I offended either of you as it was not my intention.
Old 9/26/07, 12:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BossDawg
TRMN8TR and Crucut,

I'm sorry if I have offended you. I was merely asking a question based on what I had heard others say. A friend of mine is the one that said I should try to specify what day my car is built, and when I asked why he gave me the reasons I put in my original post. More than anything, I was just curious if that was even possible. Again, I'm sorry if I offended either of you as it was not my intention.

BossDawg,
No apology needed. I am very proud of the quality I feel I put into every single job I work on. I treat every single vehicle as if I was going to buy it and so do 99% of the people I work with. Of course there are the ones that try to ship junk and they are quickly dealt with.
If you do decide to buy a Ford product and can use an employee discount (X Plan) please feel free to contct me.

Regards,

Hector
Old 9/26/07, 03:43 AM
Bullitt Member

No offence taken boss. It was just my off hand way of saying that I think it's more or less an old wives tale, and my example was to say to you that I believe in the pride that the builders have in their work. I sincerly wish you the best of luck with your new Mustang and hope to see you here on the forum for a long time.
Old 9/26/07, 06:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Scheduling and dealer order processes and the information systems that support them would not allow for this kind of request, unless you happened to know the persons involved in performing that work at the plant. I believe at the former Dearborn Assembly Plant there was an individual who would do that for "VIPs". I am not certain how it would work at AAI.

The number of quality controls in AAI seem fairly sophisticated, based on what I have seen when touring there.

I also would classify this as "old wives tale", although there probably was some foundation in the truth from many years back.
Old 9/26/07, 06:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TRMN8TR
Those are really ignorant comments. I work in an assembly plant and our quality standards are 2nd to none! And that's Monday through Friday.
Auto workers are no different than the rest of the population. So I can assume that if YOU work in the medical business I shouldn't make an appointment on Fridays because YOU'RE looking forward to the weekend, or Mondays because YOU'RE hungover? Seriously, think about what YOU'RE saying.
My father worked in a GM stamping plant in the 70s and 80s, and there were people who unfortunately reinforced the stereotype. As you know, in today's competitive environment, you really can't afford to cut corners such that it shows in the final products. However, there are various assembly workers on some forums that talk about the line rates and the constraints the union regulations sometimes bring that influence the quality negatively. I know things have changes, based on what I see others posting about more flexible operating agreements plus improvements in the quality control equipment, and that is a very good thing!

Your hard work is definitely appreciated, but many in the buying public have that perception about US-manufactured cars. If you keep on doing what you are doing, hopefully you will see less of this in the future.

As the poster noted, I don't think he was trying to personally offend anyone with his inquiry.

PS - Do you have Latino heritage in your familial background? If so, "saludos" from a fellow one (my father was from Mexico).
Old 9/26/07, 07:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm hoping to be here for a while myself. Actually, I think I'll be ordering my Mustang this week if all goes right, and when I get the car I'll be sure to post the pictures. Thanks for the X-Plan offer, I really appreciate it, but I was lucky enough to get that covered already.
Old 9/26/07, 03:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
This is a little off subject but what be cool is to be able to receive your new Mustang with a birth certificate like the Vette owners do.