2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Pony's dead...Very bad news...opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/07, 11:03 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rebel73
I think I will stick to a Stang as my daily driver <............> or an AC Cobra, in the future, as a purely fun toy.
thanks everyone for your input.
THAT is a plan man - the ultimate one-two punch
Old 12/15/07, 01:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just go and order a Bullitt and end the madness!
Old 12/16/07, 02:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Just go and order a Bullitt and end the madness!
Yah, tell you what, I am REALLY digging that highland green!
Old 12/16/07, 02:42 AM
Cobra R Member

thanks everyone for your words of support and opinions. I've had some time to think about things and I have decided to bring another pony back into my stable - probably a slightly used GT. Then I'll slap my Whipple back on it, and get back to business. However, it may not be another 2-3 months before I run out and get a new one, since I plan to refi my house in January, and it will help my credit score and income/debt ratio to have that loan off my record. With the money I'll save after the refi, I can build an even better car than before.

It'll be HARD to be Mustang-less for a while, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm just doing my best to make lemonade outta lemons, and I think this is the smartest way to go about it.
Old 12/16/07, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like you've got it figured out Rob, it's always better to stand back for a while and think these things through. Glad you and your friend are fine. I think the option you came up with is the best, (especialy since you have an expensive air pusher layin around now)! Only thing I might do diferent is buy a new one. Good luck.
Old 12/16/07, 07:07 PM
Axe

Up until a month ago I had a 77 Vette. I know they were low on the hp, but to me the C3's are probably the most distinctive looking cars ever. I mean, theres no doubt when you see one what it is. That being said, the one and only Corvette show I attended (joined a club soon after I got it) was definitely a Geritol-fest. All these gray haired, 50-60 yr old guys with their cellulite-ridden wives, it was really disgusting.

To me, the C5s and 6's are nice, but I just think the Mustang looks meaner. (especially with a Cobra front end conversion) And I'm also big on interiors, somewhere the Vette is severely lacking.

Dont the new Vettes have pretty big trunks though?
Old 12/17/07, 01:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear that you are OK, that is what is most important.

I would agree with Brian, wait for the 09 with the Glass Back.
Also then you would be able to decide if you wanted to go for the new 10 body style as well.

But since you cannot be 'stangless, find a nice Terminator to hold you over for a bit.
Old 12/17/07, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Firstly, I'm glad you're okay Rob.

But I'm just scratching my head here... you total a Mustang, and are then thinking of getting a Z06? I would think you'd go in the other direction of performance, seeing how lady luck was with you on this one.

I'm in a sports car club that does High Performance Driving Education (HPDE) events on closed race tracks, and one guy was telling me about his experience with a Z06 on the track. He said he was scared for his life. He didn't feel safe with all that horsepower and braking power, and only being strapped in with a 3-point factory harness. Since then, he went out and bought a '97 Mustang Cobra, outfitted it with a roll cage, 5-point racing harness, slicks, engine and suspension mods, and he feels much safer in that than in the Z06. Plus, the Z06 was worth a lot of money, so it was scary to bring it to the track based on the risk of damage to it.

Good luck with whatever your replacement choice is!
Old 12/17/07, 09:24 AM
GT Member

Wow Rob--you don't know me but I do go down to Adam's shop from time to time for various stuff (this time to get the clutches replaced in the rearend). Anyway, I was looking at your car and thought for sure whomever was in it was seriously hurt or killed. The car is so bad that anyone looking at it KNOWS its a total loss. Adam told me that you were ok-walked away, so I was glad to hear that. My son is turning 16 soon, so I took pictures of the car to show him what can happen and how he must be careful---especially in the rain.

Guys--this car is very protective of the front driver/passenger. I have seen alot of cars posted up smashed with the driver usually in great shape. This is a prime example. I would get another mustang if for no other reason this car did a great job protecting you.
Old 12/17/07, 11:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by psfracer
Wow Rob--you don't know me but I do go down to Adam's shop from time to time for various stuff (this time to get the clutches replaced in the rearend). Anyway, I was looking at your car and thought for sure whomever was in it was seriously hurt or killed. The car is so bad that anyone looking at it KNOWS its a total loss. Adam told me that you were ok-walked away, so I was glad to hear that. My son is turning 16 soon, so I took pictures of the car to show him what can happen and how he must be careful---especially in the rain.

Guys--this car is very protective of the front driver/passenger. I have seen alot of cars posted up smashed with the driver usually in great shape. This is a prime example. I would get another mustang if for no other reason this car did a great job protecting you.
Yah, believe me, I know how lucky I am, and as I've already stated, I'm gonna go ahead and get another Stang. In my nearly 19 yrs driving, this is by far the worst accident I've ever been in. Adam and the guys are in the process of yanking out all my stuff and getting ithe car back to stock so I can go ahead and close this thing out with the insurance and get it behind me.
Old 12/17/07, 01:40 PM
FR500 Member

z06....used i saw one on cars.com in my area with 9,000 miles for $60,000...absolute steal