2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Pony's dead...Very bad news...opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/07, 06:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pony's dead...Very bad news...opinions wanted.

hey everyone,

I was in a bad accident saturday night due to some rain and slick roads. Hit a big sign post. I don't wanna get into too much detail without re-living everything, but my Stang is totalled. My friend and I are fine, thank God.

Now, as I wait for the insurance to total my car, I am pondering perhaps purchasing a different vehicle this time around.

Now, I loved my Stang, but I've always liked the Vettes, and I've been pricing some nice used C5 Z06s and the temptation is very great.

Should I get another Stang, or give the Vette a shot? I know what to expect this being a Stang forum, but I AM TORN!!!

thanks, guys
Old 12/12/07, 06:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vette's are nice, but are a different animal. No room. even if only one passenger. Too low, you fall in and climb out. Insurance is off the grid, it's plastic. and the biggy, most Vette owners are snobs. Okay let the flames begin.
Old 12/12/07, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
It's up to you but I love my stang...I had a slippery experience like that with mine a few weeks back...hit the median and blew out a tire...but now I have 240 lbs of sand in the trunk and it handles great on rain, or snow, ice, sleet whatever...gets round better than you'd think...
Old 12/12/07, 06:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
That's a hard call, we had a guy down here trade in his pony for a used vette. it's sharp and all and he loves it but he still goes to all the Stang meets we have. He said the Vette clubs are an "older" crowd. He said something to the effect a lot of Geritol flying around those meets.

Seriously, glad you and your friends are ok, that's the important thing.
Old 12/12/07, 06:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
Vette's are nice, but are a different animal. No room. even if only one passenger. Too low, you fall in and climb out. Insurance is off the grid, it's plastic. and the biggy, most Vette owners are snobs. Okay let the flames begin.
Hmmm, I can live with the snob thing, but the insurance thing is something I hadn't considered. thanks.

Mebbe I'll look into a SE Stang this time around. I'm yanking the Whipple off what's left of my car and will be transplanting it if I get another Stang.
Old 12/12/07, 06:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
That's a hard call, we had a guy down here trade in his pony for a used vette. it's sharp and all and he loves it but he still goes to all the Stang meets we have. He said the Vette clubs are an "older" crowd. He said something to the effect a lot of Geritol flying around those meets.

Seriously, glad you and your friends are ok, that's the important thing.
he he, well, at 34, I'm not quite in the "geezer" category just yet. I do enjoy the Stang meets....I would sure miss those. I've made some good friends because of them.
Old 12/12/07, 06:44 PM
GT Member

as long as your going to be happy with a two seater, and have another way to haul more people, go with what you want
Old 12/12/07, 06:54 PM
V6 Member

My 2 cents -- I have had 3 vettes over the years 3 decades. Besides my 2006 Mustang premium GT coupe (Roush supercharger, Roush suspension plus Watts link, and various appearance mods) I also presently have a 2001 Camaro B4C (police edition Camaro). Those Chevys definitely have some good performance components (the non-blown engine in that Camaro is amazing) but there is something missing -- put all the components together and there is not a lot of character. The Mustang just has it, at least for me.
Old 12/12/07, 07:19 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awwwe doood

I am SO sorry to hear about the PONY man... dang I really dug your ride!!!

I am just being biased here - Vettes are bad a** man.... but I just don't dig driving them - get another pony

GLAD you and your buddy are alright!!!!
Old 12/12/07, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Get another stang and be a happy man.
Old 12/12/07, 07:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You sure it's totaled? I've seen some pretty bad wrecks on the boards including my Car and it wasn't totaled out. If I were you and the car is totaled ... I'd buy a nice low mileage GT and swap all your go fast parts over to it ...
Old 12/12/07, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to hear but it is good that you and your buddy are ok...

It is just a car and while we treat them as more than they are, they can be replaced. With all your goodies, I think I would be chomping at the bit to pick out a replacement and start dropping parts on to it.

Geesh, you have a Whipple to swap out and are even considing not getting another pony...

Honestly, it is a no brainer to me... Perhaps the new Pony will steer the right way when you want it too... The last appears to have had a mind of it's own...
Old 12/12/07, 08:35 PM

Glad you are okay.
I traded my 2007 Corvette for my 2007 Shelby GT. The Vette was faster but the Shelby Gt is a better overall package.
-Seats 4
-cheaper insurance
-Many many more aftermarket options
-The Shelby draws much more attention
I have no regrets.
Old 12/12/07, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Two different animals. But at the end of the day I would rather have a stang in my driveway.
Old 12/12/07, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Stang FTW!!
Old 12/12/07, 10:26 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Go for the Stang, they're less rash, when you drive a Vette, to me, it's like telling people, hey look at me, plus the insurance, they have zero room inside, parts get really expensive, and its a pain to get in and out of. new z06's do get like 28mpg on the highway, but I'd still rather have the Stang, for the same money, you can have a cooler car, IMHO
Old 12/12/07, 11:10 PM
Cobra R Member

thanks y'all fer yer 2 bits...I think I am gonna remain a Blue Oval man...the only issue is gonna be completing my Whipple Kit cause I won't be able to get all of the parts off of it. Getting the Blower, Intercooler, and MAF. Gonna leave the rest so the insurance doesn't pitch a *****.

Listen guys, the truth is, the Stang saved our lives. In a different car. my friend and I coulda been toast. Looking at the carnage, it's hard to believe we got out unscathed, not so much as a bruise or a cut.
Old 12/12/07, 11:18 PM
Cobra Member

Glad you are OK man. Don't be too sure that you didn't get hurt. I got hit in march, and thought I was not hurt bad either. Turned out I had 5 ruptured discs and nerve damage. didn't really start to become apparent until about a week later. good to hear you are alive and well! and good to hear you are not turning to the dark side!!!
Old 12/12/07, 11:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
You sure it's totaled? I've seen some pretty bad wrecks on the boards including my Car and it wasn't totaled out. If I were you and the car is totaled ... I'd buy a nice low mileage GT and swap all your go fast parts over to it ...
yah, I got confirmation from the adjuster today. The car is a mangled mess. I'm shopping around.
Old 12/12/07, 11:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Faber
Glad you are OK man. Don't be too sure that you didn't get hurt. I got hit in march, and thought I was not hurt bad either. Turned out I had 5 ruptured discs and nerve damage. didn't really start to become apparent until about a week later. good to hear you are alive and well! and good to hear you are not turning to the dark side!!!
thanks.

you bring up a good point, bro. Mebbe I'll get myself checked out just in case. Meant to do that anyhow.

Quick Reply: Pony's dead...Very bad news...opinions wanted.