2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

A pony drive of my own, and a bit of a farewell

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/05, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, today is the day, the pony has turned into a bit of a packhorse so to speak. I leave today from Conneticut and will be driving across country to my new home in Washington state. So if ya see a Windveil blue Mustang GT with the rear seats folded down and packed up, gimme a wave. Would be cool to meet some of the people on this site on the journey across the states. I'll be travelling along 90 to Chicago, then hopping down 80 towards Iowa through Nebraska to 15N up into Montana and back on 90 for the remainder of the journey. I'll try to log in every few days as I'll be staying somewhere I'll have connection to the internet the whole way. It's kinda nice having family spread all the way across the U.S. at perfect stopping intervals (8-10 hour drives). Anyhow, I know some of you would frown on this "abuse" of the mustang, but to me it's every bit worth it. And not to mention my only choice as the wife left with our Durango to live with her parents for a few months. I'd be willing to bet I'll have the top mileage on the 05 after the journey is complete as I'll be running about 11k miles in less then 4 months of ownership of the vehicle. Guess it just goes to show how unresistable my car has been.
Old 3/4/05, 08:26 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminds me of the trip my 66' took in the 70's from Rhode Island to Arizona. All packed up with the family dog. It was a great time!
Old 3/4/05, 08:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

You will certainly have some enjoyable driving time. Make sure to see some of the Rocky Mountains while you are in the area. Someday, I want to take my '07 Cobra out there and drive the Grand Teton Scenic Byway which is a beautiful drive up the west side of the Tetons. Last time I drove it was in a rented v6 convertible mustang. At the time I was thinking "I have got to bring my Cobra out here shortly after I get it. Good luck on your journey.
Old 3/4/05, 08:35 AM
Cobra Member

Hey GT,
Have a safe trip. Kind of sounds fun.
Old 3/4/05, 09:23 AM

Welcome to the "Evergreen State". I see you were in Groton, does that mean you are headed to the sub base in Bangor? Or is that just coincidence.
Old 3/4/05, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Best of luck on the journey Ken. I don't think it's abuse at all. What better car to drive cross country in than a Mustang? As long as she's not bulging at the seems with all you've got packed inside.
Old 3/4/05, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Honk as you go thought PA!
Old 3/4/05, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Ken, that sounds awesome. If you think of it, let us know how many miles you get per tank on the highway. It'd be interesting to know that. Wish I had a reason to drive from coast to coast, ah heck, maybe I'll make a reason up when mine comes. Happy Travelling!
Old 3/4/05, 12:31 PM
2&2
GT Member

I will keep track as you come thru Omaha.
Old 3/4/05, 01:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Where in Washington are you moving to?

I lived about 20 miles North of Seattle for a few years. It was pretty cool!

Originally posted by WBstangGT@March 4, 2005, 9:16 AM
Well, today is the day, the pony has turned into a bit of a packhorse so to speak. I leave today from Conneticut and will be driving across country to my new home in Washington state. So if ya see a Windveil blue Mustang GT with the rear seats folded down and packed up, gimme a wave. Would be cool to meet some of the people on this site on the journey across the states. I'll be travelling along 90 to Chicago, then hopping down 80 towards Iowa through Nebraska to 15N up into Montana and back on 90 for the remainder of the journey. I'll try to log in every few days as I'll be staying somewhere I'll have connection to the internet the whole way. It's kinda nice having family spread all the way across the U.S. at perfect stopping intervals (8-10 hour drives). Anyhow, I know some of you would frown on this "abuse" of the mustang, but to me it's every bit worth it. And not to mention my only choice as the wife left with our Durango to live with her parents for a few months. I'd be willing to bet I'll have the top mileage on the 05 after the journey is complete as I'll be running about 11k miles in less then 4 months of ownership of the vehicle. Guess it just goes to show how unresistable my car has been.
Old 3/4/05, 03:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck on your journey and be safe. Be sure to keep us updated and let us know how comfortable the seats are on a long drive. :tex:
Old 3/4/05, 03:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Have a safe drive.
Michael
Old 3/4/05, 04:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Have fun Ken, and be safe! Remember, even a half hour power nap works wonders if you're getting drowsy!
Old 3/4/05, 05:05 PM
FR500 Member

this is her true test. can i ask a favor?? when the trip is done can u give us a report on how she was during the whole trip id like to know how she holds up thanks good luck and have a safe trip
Old 3/4/05, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Welcome to Washington! We're having an early spring, you'll love it. It will be great to see anonther WB GT cruising around Puget Sound.

Nice car choice by the way.
Old 3/5/05, 06:24 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
If anyone says that's abuse, they're crazy! I miss the days of driving my 88 LX 5.0's. One from Orlando to Alabama (6 hrs) about 50 times and the other San Diego to Alabama.
I plan on taking many road trips in the '05... just because I can. San Diego maybe?
Enjoy the trip. I'd also be interested to know if you're going to the sub base.
Old 3/5/05, 07:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

I can't wait to do a road trip in mine once it arrives, too. Have a safe trip! You'll be driving through some spectacular country.

I second what outdoorstom said--remember to make "pit stops" if you start to get drowsy. I fell asleep at the wheel once on a L.A. to S.F. drive but luckily didn't wreck before I woke up. Trust me, it's never happened again!
Old 3/5/05, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Alright I'm at one of the stopping points where I can update on the trip so far. About 950 miles travelled and average mpg is right at 23.5. Unfortunately I did recieve a speed tax in Ohio. Guy obviously wasn't a fan of either the military or the 05 mustang GT. Must be driving a ricer as a second car, cause I was being passed when I was pulled over. And yep... I am heading to the submarine base Bangor, WA. about 950 miles in two days, average speed knocked down a bit from driving around in town and all but I'm at 63 mph. Car has been handling good on the trip across, no problems with it yet. I'll be where I am now for a few days and will be back on before I take off again.
Old 3/5/05, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by drylbrg@March 4, 2005, 8:26 AM
Welcome to the "Evergreen State". I see you were in Groton, does that mean you are headed to the sub base in Bangor? Or is that just coincidence.

Former Submariner?
Old 3/5/05, 08:17 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Probably. One here too.
USS Jefferson City SSN-759
San Diego
What about you, Ken?

Quick Reply: A pony drive of my own, and a bit of a farewell