2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are people really paying $5k dealer markup?

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/05, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I signed a new job this week, after years of self employment, and decided to buy a new car. We originally went looking a F150s, but my wife and I both really liked the Mustang. All the dealers I have visited here in So. Cal. want a $5k over MSRP markup. I just don't think I can stomach that. Are others really paying these markups?
Old 2/3/05, 05:23 PM
GT Member

IN THE BAY AREA IT IS THE SAME . . . AND YES PPL ARE DUMB ENOUGH TO PAY OVER MSRP . . . I ONLY FOUND ONE DEALER NEAR ME (PALO ALTO FORD) THAT DIDNT MARK-UP AND YES THATS WHERE I GOT MINE!
Old 2/3/05, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

go see Dan Beam at MIDWAY FORD in downtown L.A. or just call him and tell him Daniel Gat refered you he will give you a great deal (MSRP or less)
Old 2/3/05, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Thankfully, the days of dealers raping customers with "Market Adjustments" are coming to a close here in Richmond, Virginia. The worst I saw was a $4,000 M/A, and several other dealers were charging an extra $2K-3K over MSRP.

Now, so far as I see, only one dealer in my area is tacking on this surcharge. They can ask whatever they want, but I think they're really taking advantage of people. Then again, if you're dumb enough to cough up the extra cash, maybe you deserve to be taken advantage of. (I'm speaking hypothetically of course, not you.)

I'd wait it out. The prices dropped pretty quickly once word got out that people were leaving showrooms!
Old 2/3/05, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I had stopped at Herb Chambers Ford in Braintree,MA, while talking to the salesman, another rep came over to the GT next to us and proceeded to place a "dealer adjustment" sticker on the car- $5,000.....$5,000 EXTRA FOR A MUSTANG!!!??!

Maybe for an '05 GTO, I could take that.....(JUST KIDDING...DON'T FLAME ME)
Old 2/3/05, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Go to the ford in carlsbad or go to santa margarita, neither of those dealers mark up the stangs
Old 2/3/05, 10:31 PM
Bullitt Member

TURBO 05, Lets not forget who talked to Dan at Midway Ford First! LOL

If you get your GT before me Im going to freak!

and since you pretty much ordered the same car I hope they didn't get confused and only order one, otherwise we may have to thumb wrestle for it!

Tell Dan Todd sent you too and maybe he will take off even more!
Old 2/3/05, 11:12 PM
Bullitt Member

there are the desperate and the naive (stupid) so I imagine there are a few stinkers out there who would part with thier hard earned money so easily. I don't need any car that bad...willing to pay invoive, not much more
Old 2/3/05, 11:14 PM
GT Member

i live in so cal too, thats the another reason im getting a v6, its 5k over msrp, so its wayyyy to expensive, plus i cant afford insurance lol, but yes there are people paying it, i see GT's come and go at the local dealership here, its insane 5k OVER!!! and the v6 is good, but the gt is way way way to overpriced in southern california atm
Old 2/3/05, 11:16 PM

I live in So Cal as well. My dealer initially hit me for a $3000 dealer markup, all the while explaining that normally they are getting a $5K markup. I was finally able to negotiate back to MSRP and signed the deal. I'm certainly not proud of paying MSRP but I'm happy just the same.
Old 2/3/05, 11:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by stoic21@February 3, 2005, 7:14 PM
Go to the ford in carlsbad or go to santa margarita, neither of those dealers mark up the stangs
ken grody ford in carlsbad does do the mark up, i went there (5 miles away from my house) because they had the gt i was looking for...when I got there they had a mark up on it and the best excuse they could give was...."well maybe we can take 1/2 of it off if you buy the car tonight"...needless to say i walked out.
While walking out i overheard the salesman say to another "that kid wasn't going to buy it anyways".......
called lake elsinore ford and talked to the fleet manager up there and purchaced my gt the next day from them with no mark-up.
Lake elsinore ford is putting the mark-up on their cars, but going through the internet/fleet department, i didn't have to pay it.

i'd recommend anybody to try and go through the fleet department of any dealership...saved a heck of alot of hasstle.
Old 2/3/05, 11:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I live in Washington State and dealers are asking between $32 and $35 for GT's. I saw a v6 the other day with the windows tinted and aftermarket rims for $27.

To pay that is insanity.
Old 2/4/05, 03:17 AM
Bullitt Member

It's being done everywhere. That's the price you pay if you can't wait!
Dealers know that and use it. Keep checking this great site for tips and info. on anything Mustang. It's done wonders for me!
Happy Trails!!
Old 2/4/05, 04:29 AM
Cobra Member

Massey ford off the 210 glendora auto mall(?) is refusing to mark up their cars, and been the friendliest dealership I've visited. As of yesterday they have a sonic blue gt with standard trans and IUP light.

I got mine for sticker at Ken Grody, but it wasn't easy. You CAN wheel and deal though, just stick to your guns and bring a calculator and note pad. Having really good credit helps a ton too. Don't let them try and sneak a higher price with a longer term loan.

Yes people ARE paying "market adjustments" for these cars, otherwise you wouldn't see dealerships still adding them. Don't feed the greed just say no, get up and walk out.

Good luck.
Old 2/4/05, 05:11 AM
Bullitt Member

The only advice I can give is to shop around, It took me 5 dealerships before I found one that agreed to sell me a Gt at $100 over invoice, and in LA no less. the deals are out there and they seem to be with the fleet managers.
Old 2/4/05, 10:11 AM

The deal I mentioned a few posts above was with the Fleet Manager as well. Interesting....I wonder why it seems to be easier to deal with them as oppossed to a regular salesman?
Old 2/4/05, 10:18 AM
V6 Member

Mine shipped last week from Ford. I paid $600 (3%) over Invoice. The difference between Invoice and MSRP is about 2K.

Luis
Old 2/6/05, 03:05 AM
Bullitt Member

It's the same here in Philadelphia. Saw a Satin Silver GT w/$5,000 "Market Adjustment". It was an auto trans w/I.U.P., I think leather, option wheels, for $33,000 something.
Old 2/8/05, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Blakmore@February 4, 2005, 11:14 AM
The deal I mentioned a few posts above was with the Fleet Manager as well. Interesting....I wonder why it seems to be easier to deal with them as oppossed to a regular salesman?

don't they get a bonus on volume?
Old 2/8/05, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Blakmore@February 4, 2005, 5:14 PM
I bought mine from Santa Monica Ford. I ordered back in May, and dealt only with the fleet manager. She sold me my '05 GT for a figure closer to invoice than MSRP (I actually paid $250 under dealer invoice after inclusion of a return customer rebate). Yet the '05s being sold off their dealer lot (last I checked) are being sold with a $3,000 markup. So, based on my experience, I recommend ordering through a fleet manager, if possible, even if the '05s in inventory are being marked up.

Quick Reply: Are people really paying $5k dealer markup?