2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Passenger side seat belt

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/17, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passenger side seat belt

Hi All
I am trying to put new carpet in my 2006 GT. I removed the passenger side seat belt torx bolt. There is a black wire running to a plastic box. I can cut the carpet to get the old carpet out but i would prefer not to cut the new carpet. Does any one know what the wire goes to and how to detach it?
Old 1/21/17, 08:13 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Can you post a picture of it? Which side of the seat belt are you referring to? If it's the female end of the seat belt, I would think it's for the sensor that tells the car if you're buckled in. If it's on the male end of the seat belt...I have no idea what that would be. Either way, I would think there'd be a connector end on it nearby.
Old 1/22/17, 12:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
its a airbag cable for the ocs system in the passenger seat.

RedGT
Old 1/22/17, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Trace the wire back, and it does disconnect. Here's the specific stuff from the manual:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=484&viewfil...etensioner.pdf

It is the detection system of whether there's a passenger buckled or not, and whether they're in the correct position, and weight (the airbag can be blown in different forces. Kid, larger person, person leaning over, all these are taken into account on that seat.)

One should depower the airbags to disconnect this or the seats first, lest they get triggered by something when disconnection happens.

https://www.google.com/patents/US7347108
Old 1/22/17, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks houtex for the answer and techforay for asking the question. I bought the new carpet and I'll be changing mine soon. Seems like the oem one was thin and cheap. It's ripped in spots and had water damage from the usual leaks.