2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Paint scratch....advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/07, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Paint scratch....advice?

I am so ******* furious right now! Heres the deal. i have a long narrow driveway that is bordered by a fence on one side and a handrail on the other. So tonight I'm backing aout and I look back and I am closing in on the handrail. So I turn slightly to avoid it and just as im staightening aout I grind the fence!!!!! Now there is no body damage. The paint is scratched on the back, drivers side corner outside of the tailight and some of it is down to the bare metal. It is confined to that corner and nowhere lese. Now I know its hard to give advice without pics so ill post them tomorrow. As mad as I am at this point I know it really isnt all that bad. So what kinds of sulutions do we have. I know I have heard of touchup spray paint or something? Also, Im sure youll all understand that it has to appear as though it NEVER happened...cuz it is a mustang after all.....my mustang..
Old 11/4/07, 07:41 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fastmover05
Also, Im sure youll all understand that it has to appear as though it NEVER happened...
Sorry, but that's going to require a trip to a bodyshop. This isn't something you're going to 'learn' from internet advice and get perfect your first try.

Post pics, and maybe you can get it 'close enough', but it sounds like it's going to require multiple layers of touch up and then a good polish.
Old 11/4/07, 09:45 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^yeah, sorry, but unless you do it for a living, it's nearly impossible to make it look as though it never happened. You can make it a lot less obvious, but if someone looks, it will still be there. If you want to do it yourself, get some high grit sandpaper, and clean the area well, then wetsand the major burs off from the paint, you want it smooth, but not so smooth the paint doesnt stick. Wait for it to dry, wipe down the area, apply the paint, and let it dry. You may want to do it a second or third time.
Old 11/4/07, 09:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your gonna have to take it to a body shop, if it went to bare metal you are gonna have to fill it and try to even it out...not an easy do it yourself job.
Old 11/4/07, 10:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get an estimate, maybe if possible a spray less paint repair might be an option. Just an idea, with sprayless they add paint color to a compound and apply to the area affected.
Old 11/4/07, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Without pictures I can't really tell how bad it is. I have however used the FORD Motorcraft touch-up paint to fix scratches on my legend limer with very good results. It passes the 5 foot rule, heck it would probably even pass a 3 foot rule. And yes some of the scratches were down to the metal (or plastic in my case as it was on the bumper). You can find it at your dealer or here: http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...2&SortOrder=12
Old 11/5/07, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

It depends on how long, wide, and deep of a scratch it is. Black is fairly easy to match, but unforgiving on showing imperfections. If it isn't too bad, I'd order some Langka, fill the scratch in, and smooth it out following their directions. If it isn't satisfactory, you'll have to go to a body shop and have the panel painted anyway. The Langka product works pretty well, as long as you don't let the touch up paint dry for more than 2 days.