2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Paint Flaw - Don't Mess With it?

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/05, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new GT convertible has a flaw in the paint. The body shop says it looks like maybe some type of solvent dripped on the paint and ran.

I am no paint expert, but the shop manager says they will be able to sand it out without needing to repaint. The only side effect is I may have a visibly smooth area compared to Ford's wonderful orange peel paint job.

Half the people I show it to say "If it were my car, I wouldn't mess with it."

It is just behind the passenger door about 3.5 inches straight up and down and only about a half inch wide. You need to be looking for it to find it.

THE QUESTION -- Do you have them mess with the factory paint job to get a hard to see imperfection fixed.... if it means the FIX may be as visible as the FLAW?
:scratch:

What Say Yee?

EZ
Old 8/9/05, 01:07 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by EZDUZIT@August 9, 2005, 1:08 PM
My new GT convertible has a flaw in the paint. The body shop says it looks like maybe some type of solvent dripped on the paint and ran.

I am no paint expert, but the shop manager says they will be able to sand it out without needing to repaint. The only side effect is I may have a visibly smooth area compared to Ford's wonderful orange peel paint job.

Half the people I show it to say "If it were my car, I wouldn't mess with it."

It is just behind the passenger door about 3.5 inches straight up and down and only about a half inch wide. You need to be looking for it to find it.

THE QUESTION -- Do you have them mess with the factory paint job to get a hard to see imperfection fixed.... if it means the FIX may be as visible as the FLAW?
:scratch:

What Say Yee?

EZ
if the fix is visible then its not a fix now is it?
Old 8/9/05, 01:10 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

if the difference is going to be a smooth spot versus a drip mark, go with the smooth part, you wont notice that as much and would have to get real close to see the one section of the car that doesnt have orange peel, have them do the whole car and get rid of that darn orange peel, howd that happen anyway? did it come that way (the stain)?
Old 8/9/05, 01:10 PM

I say have them do the whole car, that's what say yee.
Old 8/9/05, 01:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I think they need to fix it as in you can't see it at all. Or they need to give you a bunch of money back. You did not pay for a flawed car.
Old 8/9/05, 01:22 PM

It came this way. It is an imperfection not damage. The Ford dealer said the factory can build them with some acceptable number of imperfections in the paint. He admits that this is one large imperfection, but they are happy to try to fix it at no cost to me.

I took it to an independent Body Shop that I trust and that is the manager that said he would not mess with it if it were his car.

The smooth spot seems better to me than the drip at this point.

EZ
Old 8/9/05, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Have you got any pics, or is it not visible enough to see in a pic?
Old 8/9/05, 01:55 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
funny, another post about paint. Anyway. there are a few areas on my car that are flawed but you have to be about an inch away to see them. Do I want them fixed, in my case no because that mean repainting parts. Now, if yours can be fixed by wetsanding I'd say go for it. It is on the side of the car so it is not as noticable as if it were the hood. Besides, all cars have a bit or orange peel to them. It would be hard to tell they did anything.
Old 8/9/05, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

you should try to get us a pic of it. it will give us a better idea. but I think take it back to ford and tell em to fix it. if they just smooth it and it looks off, take it back and tell em. its on warranty and if it isn't fixed, then its not fixed. thats what I think
Old 8/16/05, 08:10 PM
GT Member

Yeah, I posted a thread about the mustang's paint quality a little while
back. It looks to be more than just me , I think that the people that buy these Mustangs are people that have a special bond with them and the history behind them. I plan on keeping my 2005 GT for as long as I am
alive. I guess I want every thing to be close to perfect as possible.
With that being sed, I think Ford has been real sloppy with the Paint
quality! I have little to no paint in the inside of the fenders near
the front door jams and the shock towers, inner fendors, and fire wall, in the engine compartment is very very thin, can see primer right thru the paint and sealer. I also have to have my roof repainted because the paint also has blemishes the color is actually lighter in a spot near the drivers side. you really can only see it in the sun, but its there and stands out like a sore thumb with the suns rays.