2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

PAINT!

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/06, 11:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, we'll at first I thought that ford did a pretty good job with the paint on our mustangs.. but then a few weeks passed and I had a rock that hit my hood & we'll it messed it up a little bit but nothign really to worry about.. and we'll it's been a couple of months and I went to clean my car... I started spraying the hood down and we'll the next thing I notice paint chips flying everwhere... And i was keeping a distance of about a 1ft with the sprayer... I mean my hood is screwed up bad.. Big Chips.. Any way Ford could be held responsible.?
Old 2/15/06, 11:49 AM
Cobra Member

If all you were doing was spraying it with a water hose I would say take it in... sounds like the primer isn't holding the paint or something.
Old 2/15/06, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think this is the first post I've seen with paint adhesion issues. I'm with Jamie on this, a trip to the dealer is required. No power washer at a car wash should remove paint from a car, unless there is a problem. I'm suspicious of the paint and the aluminum hood, since there have been other complaints.
Old 2/16/06, 09:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

We'll its about time for my 3,000 mile service so i'm def. going to mention it to them... Maybe more than mention it!
Are they suppose to fix it if they can't prove it's @ your fault?
Old 2/16/06, 12:19 PM
I Have Admin Envy

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...=42238&hl=paint

There is some useful info in this old thread
Old 2/16/06, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SixtySix @ January 10, 2006, 9:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Boy, you give up easy!

Actually there's a test the Dealer can do to see if the car was prepped right. I know of someone who was pissed at all the chips he was getting. The dealer did a pressure test, and it failed miserably. Diagnosis: They never baked his car at the factory....

Results...new paint job.

So you may want to rethink taking it to the dealer, you never know until you try [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
See sounds like my issue.. I was pressure washing it.. maintaining 1ft.. Isn't the recommended like 6inches? So if i was 1ft and it just shreaded off like paper in wind!.
Posting Some Pics...
[attachmentid=45330][attachmentid=45331][attachmentid=45332]
Old 2/16/06, 03:07 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
suggestion- watch close for stone chips- basecoat/clearcoat paint can have a problem...if clear is chipped, water gets into the basecoat and it will cause it to lift- my 85 camaro looked like a palamino after a few years- every scratch a couple months later looked like peeling tape. keep a bottle of clear touchup in the car, and cover any breaks in the clear as soon as noticed to keep water out.

I'm not sure, but would also be curious to see if dealer records ever showed car required touchup at delivery, as hauler rash not uncommon, and repaint is never as good as original baked finish- no matter how well its applied, they just cannot bake it on like the factory.

Personally I'm not a big fan of high pressure washing- mostly because Ive damaged paint on my old elcamino in high school, my 85 camaro, and our 98 windstar. high pressure is quick and handy, but it has its compromises like everything. never heard of anyone blowing off paint with 80 psi garden hose at home, the 1200 psi at the carwash is just inherently harsh. hit the wrong areas with high pressure, water gets into places it never should...Its funny timing on this thread,just today at lunch was talking with a guy that does a lot of detailing, about why I dont like high pressure- he called his buddy that has a 'touchless' carwash- 900-1000 psi on robotic wash nozzles, 1200 on the 'prewash' or coinop nozzles- the guy though also said 1000 psi was supposedly only 30% of OEM required adhesion requirements? if thats true, and car has not been predelivery touched up, maybe the aluminum hood is the problem- in any event I'm pretty sure dealer will warranty the paint(would sure hope so). A gentle wash with clean wrags and a lot of low pressure water cant hurt anything, and really dont take all that much longer. heck I was out at 11:00 last night washing mine, mighta took 10 minutes...I want to get a piece of stainless tubing, put a skateboard truck on the end, pipe insulation to prevent scratches, upturned nozzle for low pressure rinsing the undercarriage- can only reach under so far with a regular nozzle...maybe this weekend.
Old 2/16/06, 05:16 PM
LMS

I have 3000 miles on my black 06 gt and it has chips in the paint. The first chip came when I drove 30 miles from the dealer home on the interstate. This thing is babied, garaged, covered and only driven on the interstate. Never power washed. Definitely a paint problem.
Old 2/18/06, 01:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

From the look of your pic the chip seems to be a result of the paint cracking at the location of the dent.
I doubt you will get the dealer to give you a freebie on that one. Good Luck.
Old 2/20/06, 09:43 AM

suggestion: do not "pressure" wash your car period; take the hit and touchfree wash your car; won't get it clean but it will keep your paint

also, all black owners should 3m clear bra their hood, front fenders, full bumper, doorhandles and door handle cups immediately

do not, do not touch the car with anything that may scratch it; again, take the hit about it being dirty and maintain your paint!