2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

P0622 code

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/21, 07:53 AM
GT Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
P0622 code

Got in my 06 gt this morning and took off for work and noticed my car running funny...I turn around and come home and got my bama tuner out.... check the car for codes and it showed me 2 ...1 was the p1000 code and the other was the p0622 code....I just put a new battery in when I bought the car 2 months ago but I just put a cheap advance auto battery in it... could it be my alternator going bad... the car did sit for a year without being drove... I've noticed my headlights at night kinda dim and then be fine it's done it twice.... what do you guys think I should start with here... and would that make your car run a little funny and it sounds like it's not idling like it was or running as good as before.... please help
Old 3/15/21, 08:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
P1000 is monitoring isn't complete. You have to drive and drive to get the various cycles/heating/? so the full monitor set can be completed. Not a huge concern, unless something's preventing that from happening. This gets set when you swap batteries or the computer's lost enough power to reset. Wouldn't worry about it all that much, it'll go away... hopefully... But that's my thought because...

P0622 is the alternator. Either the connector on the back of it is not fully seated (that was mine, what a dummy I was that day) or the alternator itself is goin' out. Probably needs replacing and/or the terminals cleaned up on the connectors, and maybe the battery too.

Interesting info for ya if you didn't know (and for those who don't that might visit!): People think the car runs on the battery and the alternator charges the battery. This is not correct. The car will run on the battery if it has to, but the car's primary souce of power is the alternator itself, and the battery is used to start the car, or keep accessories running with the engine off. And yes, the occasional, but not desired, alternator dead/belt not on the alternator situation, but that's a temporary measure.

You also might have bad battery causing the alternator to be ticked off. They're all one system at the end of it. I'd suggest having both checked out, and if you've not done so, read this post I have on the battery/alternator situation.
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...4/#post6917899

I've had complete success, with the only thing being that every so often the battery must be changed out (and that right immediately when it happens) because they're just... that way. Not much you can do about it.

Hope that helps!
Old 3/15/21, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah I'm going to go have the battery and alternator checked out.... there is a few other problems I need to have fixed to but I'm not sure what's causing the problem I know what it sounds like and feels like... I'm thinking about taking it to extreme mustang and let them loose on it lol