2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Overspray on paint. anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/04, 04:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took delivery of my car on Friday after Thanksgiving. It was pouring down rain just like it was for everyone else. The paint looked fine to me at the time. It rained the next three days. I washed it Saturday morning to take pictures of it with my 1965 Fastback I posted on another thread, and I noticed something on the paint. When I ran my hand along the paint it felt like a light grit or kind of like dried hairspray on it. I took it to the dealership and the service guy said it was Raildust from the train. The body shop guy said it was overspray. The dealership I bought it from is a three hour drive away. The local dealership said I would have to take it back to the dealership I bought it from because they should have took care of it before I took delivery of it. The dealership I bought it from said they would Claybar it. I have heard some of you talk about a claybar. Do you think this will take off overspray? and has anyone else had this happen to theirs?
Old 12/6/04, 05:02 PM
GT Member

Annoying, but normal these days on many makes and models. Yes, the claybar will take care of it. Don't fret if the dealer has already said they'll take care of it, I'm sure they will do a good job.
Old 12/6/04, 05:14 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Claybar takes out impurities in the paint (ie: raildust, brakedust)
Works like a champ

You can do it yourself if you have the time.
(worth it, and then wax it after)
Old 12/6/04, 05:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@December 6, 2004, 6:17 PM
Claybar takes out impurities in the paint (ie: raildust, brakedust)
Works like a champ

You can do it yourself if you have the time.
(worth it, and then wax it after)
I was planning on waxing it Saturday after I washed it until I saw the overspray. Thanks for reassuring me about the claybar Boomer. I plan on letting the dealership do it, because I have never done it before.
Old 12/6/04, 06:52 PM
I Have No Life

Its actually easy, just time consuming.

You can buy this at like Canadian tire (walmart or whatever)
in a kit. Its the clay bar+quick detailer.

You wash the car with dawn, dry it,
then do one panel at a time with the claybar.
(spray a foot section with the quick detailer and slide the claybar on the paint...it'll yank out all that crap you want outta the paint, and feel smooth like a baby's bum)

After you do the whole car, you wash again....
dry
wax on
wax off
Old 12/6/04, 06:59 PM

ZAINOS -you can buy a whole kit and the product is awesome. Just do a search and you'll see Zaino's mentioned quite a bit.
I find it hard to believe that a dealer can refuse any warranty work. I don't think it matters where it is bought, does it?
Old 12/6/04, 07:02 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have some overspray on my car but now that it is freezing around here I am going to wait until the summer to complete detail my car.
Old 12/6/04, 07:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car had raildust / Acid Rain whatever on the paint the day I brought it home. It
just felt a little gritty. I used a claybar and followed up with Zainos now she is sooo
smooth and shiny. Claybar + Zainos rocks!
Old 12/6/04, 07:20 PM

I only have 3 coats on right now. It is absolutely smooth too. I have actually blown the dust/dirt off-as opposed to washing. It still gets washed though.
Old 12/6/04, 08:02 PM
I Have No Life

Zaino RULES

I have 5-7 coats (i've lost count) on the stang this year.
Its like a friggin silver mirror

I recomend it for ANY colour. Makes darker colours (Black, Sonic, Mineral gray look INCREDIBLY wet!)
Old 12/6/04, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@December 6, 2004, 9:05 PM
Zaino RULES

I have 5-7 coats (i've lost count) on the stang this year.
Its like a friggin silver mirror

I recomend it for ANY colour. Makes darker colours (Black, Sonic, Mineral gray look INCREDIBLY wet!)
I just went to Zaino Bros. Websight and ordered Z1 Show car polish lok. Then Z2 show car polish and last Z6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray. When I get it back from the dealership after they Clay Bar it. I will apply the Zaino. Thanks for the Information Guys.
Old 12/6/04, 08:08 PM
FR500 Member

how do u use the claybar??
Old 12/6/04, 08:10 PM

I splurged and bought the whole kit. I've used every bit of it, except the leather products. It comes with a couple chunks of claybar, some tire shine product, and all the wash, polishes needed.
Old 12/6/04, 08:39 PM
I Have No Life

Greg (RagsHockey88) read my post above.

-Lubricate the surface with detailer
-slide the claybar back and forth with light pressure until it feels smooth
-fold claybar
-repeat step 1-3 on other panels

Hold on to the claybar like its your dong....you drop it on the ground, its useless. Any pebbles or crap it picks up will scratch your paint.
Old 12/6/04, 08:43 PM

You better believe I held onto mine-claybar that is! I set it down on the hood for a second and it began to slide down. I was thinking-well, there goes that dollar (actually $16.95), but I caught it. I can't stop laughing about that post. I must be tired!
Old 12/6/04, 08:46 PM
I Have No Life

Been there done that...
only luckily zaino comes with 2, and they last a decent ammount of cleans. 1 claybar lasted me on the stang 2-3 cleanings.
the first one bit the dust....litterally.

It was like in slow motion watching it fall, hit the ground, and pickup EVERYTHING....
Friggin' CSI's must use it...
Old 12/6/04, 08:53 PM

Doesn't it strip off all the wax? Do you use it after you have a number of coats on? As I was "claybarring," I was thinking I wouldn't be needing it for some time after this.
KEY NOTE:!!!!! I saw an older Cobra that was Black and beautiful and 9 coats on it. It really shined but had water spots all over the roof. They really stood out. I was thinking, Man, this guy should have taken a second to dry off the roof before he waxed it.
Zaino's-for those that don't know-really makes your paint look wet and deep, but will accent water spots if you don't take a moment to wipe the darn car down!
Old 12/6/04, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes it does take off wax. You want to clay bar right after you have washed the car with dish detergent, which strips the wax first. Then you can go nuts applying new wax
Old 12/6/04, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Trust me it's not overspray. It's raildust.
99% of the trucks we get in are Fords and they're coming straight from the factory. So they are sent the same way the Mustangs are. (shorter trip coming from Kentucky, though)
EVERY truck has had raildust on it. If we don't get it off within a week or two, it can damage the paint.
Strong polishes will get it off, but can scratch the paint if you're not careful.
A claybar, like these guys said, is the way to go and it's easy to use.
Probably easier than waxing.

Jason
Old 12/6/04, 10:32 PM
GT Member

Dave:
I think you have every right to fret. You purchased a 25k (plus) stang. You are entitled to have a satisfactory paint job. And this is my big gripe with Ford: quality control. In other words, their quality control needs to practice more quality and control. I had similar issues with my 01 GT. I too bought mine on a rainy-dark night in Jan. of 01 where I could not see the blemishes. Suffice to say, you should not have to pay a cent for any clay bars. But realistically this is the best solution because when you take it to the ford service dept. nobody wants to take responsibility for your problems. they will pass the buck by saying, "Take it back to the original dealership, or That is out of our control." that is bull shh it in my opinion. And forget calling ford cust. service cause they are pretty much worthless. trust me, been there and done that. Best of luck and get the clay bar cause it will save you a whole lot of problems.

Quick Reply: Overspray on paint. anyone else have this problem?