2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

OUCH- Son Closed Garage On Car

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/06, 05:25 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OUCH- Son Closed Garage On Car

Yesterday was a crappy work day. I pulled into the garage, and apparently didn't get the butt end of the car into the garage- I was tired and crabby and just wanted to take a long bath and eat a decent meal...my stupidity.......

My son opens the garage door when he gets home so he can get his bike and scooter out.HE closed the door last night- we heard a noise- the garage door came back up- and BAM. It got my bumper.

Took the skin off it above the license plate....In 4 seperate places down to the bottom of the paint. With a nice black smudge to match.

What to do what to do? MAYYYYYYBE touch up paint will fix it.
Old 5/10/06, 06:10 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pic? Sounds like a few hundred bucks at a bodyshop to me.
Old 5/10/06, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

It sounds past the point of touch up. You might be able to take some clearcoat cleaner and remove the black spot, but I don't think you'd be happy just applying touchup paint to the damaged areas.

Closing the garage door on my rear bumper is one of my biggest fears.

Sorry to hear about the accident.
Old 5/10/06, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

My garage door has sensors to prevent this. I am going home after work today to make sure they are set up right....might get another sensor set and mount it a little higher and in farther.

Sorry your pony is hurt, but we know you will get it straight, good luck.
Old 5/10/06, 07:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
April, I am sorry to hear about that!

I admit it - I obsessively check the door clearance every time I pull into the garage.
I have a little ball with a Ford logo hanging from monofilament that bumps the windshield when I am in, but I use that to make sure I don't bump the freezer.
I just have to check the door everytime. The thought of the door scraping up the rear of the Mustang gives me the heebies and the jeebies.
Old 5/10/06, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have been there done that...sucks! Touchup paint might work....or it might have to go to the shop if you want it perfect. If I were you I would look at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
Old 5/10/06, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like you should get the cheap fix to prevent this from happening again. Park your car where you want it then hang a tennis ball from the ceiling just touching your windshield. Now you know whenever you touch the window with the ball you can stop.
Old 5/10/06, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I use a 'bump stop' on the floor of the garage. It works great for having multiple vehicles that may park in the same spot at different times. As an example with my Camaro I stop when I reach the bump stop, and with the Mustang I drive over the bump stop and then stop. Yes, I have both a Ford and a car from the General.
Old 5/10/06, 02:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear that. i need to drive in to the garage, close the door then back up to the door so people can walk in front of it without bumping the front. I like the tennis ball idea.
Old 5/10/06, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Get an aftermarket bumper
Old 5/10/06, 04:28 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks. I sorta did something similar to a Fiero I used to have. Parked it in the garage, but for some reason left it in neutral and didn't set the hand brake. Came back out the next day, and the door wouldn't open all the way. It only went up about a foot and a half, maybe 2 feet. Tried again, same thing. Looked under the door, and there's the car, backed right up to it. I had to reach in and push the car forward with one hand while hitting the remote with the other. Nice little scratch right down to the plastic, about half-dollar sized. I never did fix it, just sold it like that 18 months later.
Old 5/10/06, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry to here about this. This does sound like body work.
Old 5/10/06, 05:02 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Its not as bad as initially thought- I had a better day today. Its one gouge about the size of a penny, and one black swipe from the garage door sealer, and one teeny ding.

My stupid POS garage door DOES have a sensor on it- just not enough- it hit the bumper and went back up. Argh! Double argh for these baby garages they have in houses these days. I normally pull up all the way to the mudroom door- but yesterday was the mother of all BS crappy days and I just wanted to be home and wasn't thinking alert like.

Yes I have a pic, but its on my phone and the phone is in the car- and I won't get it on here till I get off my butt and go upload it.
Old 5/10/06, 07:02 PM
GT Member

Thanks for posting.
I've just got bumper strips on the floor now to let me know I don't go too far. So from your misfortune I hope that you can feel better knowing you helped others because I'm gonna set up a hanging tennis ball to assure that I've gone far enough.
Old 5/10/06, 07:09 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best solution is to take a 2x4 and screw it to your concrete garage floor in front of your front tires. Use tapcons and you'll never have to worry about this again.
Old 5/10/06, 08:18 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I think shes screwing with me because she knows as soon as I can pounce my words will be eaten and she will be turning into a grabber orange GT. Yes. I said it.

I normally gauge by the front wall- when it looks close, I am parked close enough. Lesson learned.

GRR!
Old 5/10/06, 08:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coulda been worse
Old 5/10/06, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Perhaps "I didn't park far enough in the garage" would have been more appropiate of a thread name? Hehe.

Bad luck man, but yah it could have been a lot worse!!
Old 5/10/06, 09:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
April, I am sorry to hear about that!

I admit it - I obsessively check the door clearance every time I pull into the garage.
I have a little ball with a Ford logo hanging from monofilament that bumps the windshield when I am in, but I use that to make sure I don't bump the freezer.
I just have to check the door everytime. The thought of the door scraping up the rear of the Mustang gives me the heebies and the jeebies.
Old 5/11/06, 05:06 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally Posted by TexaStang
Perhaps "I didn't park far enough in the garage" would have been more appropiate of a thread name? Hehe.

Bad luck man, but yah it could have been a lot worse!!

Or learned my lesson the hard way.....

Quick Reply: OUCH- Son Closed Garage On Car