2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ouch...ouch ouch ouch....

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/08, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
I'm still wondering what they actually included in that crazy price.
Really good coffee while you wait?
Old 7/2/08, 08:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
And you could have saved a TON of money if you did it yourself.

The only thing I won't work on myself is the insides of a tranny, and the diff. And when those need work, I know of a good high perf shop in DFW. Other then that, I do the work. Why pay a dealer thousands of dollars to do a day or two's work in 5 days?
I'm done doing big jobs myself. Many years ago I was SAE Certified for much of a car's servicing, but choose not to become a mechanic. Rebuilt my own engines, did my own oil changes, etc. But now I'm much too busy to do this kind of stuff. Full time job, raising two teenagers, lots of travelling when I can, etc. Plus, my car is a daily driver so I can't afford to have it down for several days while I fit it into MY schedule. At this point in my life, it works much better for me to pay someone else to do it.
Old 7/2/08, 08:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by the procrastinator
No personal attack intended, Brian. I took your post for what it was: information. I don't disagree with you about negative comments, posts, reviews and the like outnumbering attaboys. I do think, though, that one of the functions of this forum is to allow members to caution other members about things they may want to avoid. Getting "hosed" or "upsold" would be one of those things. That said, if I have a problem with a dealer, service department or whatever and they resolve that problem, I'm not shy about posting it.
I didn't take it as a personal attack. We're all friends here. I've had bad experiences at Ford dealers and independent shops, alike. And, more importantly, I've had good (and sometimes even great) experiences from Ford dealers and independent shops. Neither has a distinct nor universal advantage over the other, so it pays to know who you're doing business with and what you can expect for your hard-earned money - regardless of where you shop.
Old 7/2/08, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 50,000 check cost me $604.00. The service is essentially a minor tuneup with the addition of a transmission check/flush. Plus the list of items listed in the Ford Service #4.
MAINTENANCE SERVICE #4
  • Engine oil and filter service
  • 10 point inspection
  • 23 point inspection (rotate tires)
  • Minor tune - parts additional only if required.
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Clean battery terminals and check electrolyte level on low maintenance batteries
  • Inspect engine cooling system, hoses, clamps and check coolant strength
  • Inspect fuel lines and hoses for leaks or damage
  • Lubricate all hinges, latches and key locks
  • Lubricate door rubber weatherstrips
  • Inspect thermactor hoses and clamps
  • Align steering (extra for 4 whl independent susp.)
  • Balance 4 wheels / rotate tires
  • A/Transmission service (if applicable)
  • Inspect clutch operation (if applicable)
4 cyl $482.15Auto$687.10V6 cyl$546.15Auto$751.10Car V8 cyl$506.15Auto$711.10Truck V8 cyl$602.15Auto$807.10**Add for torque shift Auto Trans. (truck only)
*Not applicable to CVT Transmissions

** You have to shop around to different Ford dealerships. My dealership wanted $700.00, I told them to stick it and took the mustang elsewhere.

Last edited by poldrv; 7/2/08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 7/3/08, 01:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not everyone can work on their car. Or like some said.They don't have the time.

Here's a simple thing to do:

If you(I) bought the car or truck new there is a maintenance book that came with our owners manual.

Compare it to what the dealership suggested. If its not in the manual than they may be screwing you over. Or have them explain why you need the extra things done.