2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ordering This Weekend, Advice Wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/05, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be ordering my 05 GT this weekend... I have used the "Build Your Own" feature of Ford.com to solidify my choices... my choice has come up with an MSRP of $27,725.00 (according to ford.com utility)...

1. Since I will be ordering this car, is there much room for negotiation.. and if so,
where should I start? Ive been told $500 over invoice is customary... but Im not sure how much that is... where can I obtain that info?

2. I will be placing a $100 deposit for the order. Do I also agree upon a price
at that time? Or is that once the car is delivered?

3. Im guessing trade-in value is decided agreed up on at time of delivery of the mustang?

Any other advice... input.. or general information about ordering car would be great.. I am a total noob when it comes to ordering cars...

(btw, Im ordering from North Central Ford in Richardson, TX.. and he did give me an estimate of 12 weeks since IM ordering IUP)...
Old 1/20/05, 08:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get the invoice pricing by going to the 'timeline' and clicking on 'documents.' Go there and you can build the invoice price. Most of us seem to have put down $500, but it ranges from $0-$4000.
I agreeded to kbb.com trade-in 'good' value at time of trade in on my vehicle at time of delivery.
Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 1/20/05, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05StangPwnedMe@January 20, 2005, 9:38 PM
I will be ordering my 05 GT this weekend... I have used the "Build Your Own" feature of Ford.com to solidify my choices... my choice has come up with an MSRP of $27,725.00 (according to ford.com utility)...

1. Since I will be ordering this car, is there much room for negotiation.. and if so,
where should I start? Ive been told $500 over invoice is customary... but Im not sure how much that is... where can I obtain that info?

3. Im guessing trade-in value is decided agreed up on at time of delivery of the mustang?

Any other advice... input.. or general information about ordering car would be great.. I am a total noob when it comes to ordering cars...

(btw, Im ordering from North Central Ford in Richardson, TX.. and he did give me an estimate of 12 weeks since IM ordering IUP)...
1. I think you will be LUCKY if you get $500 over invoice on your price. Most dealers are charging MSRP or close to it. I got MSRP after going to four dealers in my area, and that was the best I could do. Use this price list to determine the invoice price: http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/0...riceList540.pdf
Won't hurt to try $500 over invoice - it's up to the dealer how much they'll settle for on the price.

2. $100? Again, this is dealer-dependent, but I think the average is closer to $1000. You negotiate the price at the time of the order, and the dealer should give you a paper that you'll sign showing how much the balance will be at delivery.

3. The trade-in could be discussed at the time of ordering, or when the car is delivered. You should do your homework first and determine the ballpark figure of how much your trade-in is worth beforehand: http://www.kbb.com/ I'd discuss that at order time, and if they're not giving you much, you could plan to sell the car on your own just before yours comes in.
Old 1/20/05, 09:09 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying off the lot ... yes, be prepared for full MSRP. But on an order you should be able to get $500 over inv, it takes some phonework though. I called 22 dealers in my area and found 3 to do the $500 over inv. But for 30mins in phone calls and 90mins of driving I saved several thousand $$$!
Old 1/20/05, 09:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Good Luck in getting $500 over invoice in Texas, unless it is a high volume, high allocation dealership......then maybe.
Old 1/20/05, 09:51 PM
GT Member

I don't want to sound rude, but have you tried other dealers??? I had looked at North Central and the salesman was really rude and acted like it wasn't worth his time to consider me a serious buyer. If the car we were looking at had had Dark Charcoal instead of the Med. Parchment interior I would have written a check on the spot. Anyway, I hope they are treating you better than they treated me. BTW, what exactly are you going to order?
Old 1/20/05, 10:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05StangPwnedMe@January 20, 2005, 9:38 PM

call westway ford in irving, ask for chris belmonte. I bought off the lot for $1000 over invoice, add in my AQHA discount and im at $500 over. North central was only willing to do $700 off msrp when i called.

best advice is shop around

Edit: Check with carmax on the trade in value.
Old 1/20/05, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Shannon@January 20, 2005, 10:54 PM
I don't want to sound rude, but have you tried other dealers??? I had looked at North Central and the salesman was really rude and acted like it wasn't worth his time to consider me a serious buyer. If the car we were looking at had had Dark Charcoal instead of the Med. Parchment interior I would have written a check on the spot. Anyway, I hope they are treating you better than they treated me. BTW, what exactly are you going to order?
i had a similar experience. i was looking at a mustang, just a base v6 that was unlocked, all of the salesman were standing around. I shut the door for a SECOND and they locked it. Can you believe that!?!??!

Their loss, i ended up gettin a loaded GT!!!
Old 1/20/05, 11:15 PM
Bullitt Member

300 to 500 over invoice is a decent price for any new vehicle...dealer makes a good profit and you get a good deal. If you shop around and are patient you should have no problems finding an 05 at a little over invoice. Good luck.
Old 1/21/05, 12:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As others have suggested, the Metroplex is chaulk full of Ford dealerships. If you do go to North Central Ford and they don't give you what you want, walk! There are plenty of other dealerships in the area.

A TMS member bought one at Prestige Ford in Garland for invoice-ish, and as OSU said of his deal with Westway Ford. I'm going to go with Five Star Ford in North Richland Hills (also one in Carrollton) because they are going to take my X-Plan, but Don Davis in Arlington seemed eager to shake-n-bake when I was checking their lot out. Others to call, Texan Ford in Arlington and Texas Motors Ford in Fort Worth. I'm not too familiar with Dallas County dealerships (Don't get out that way too often).
Old 1/21/05, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Remember, if you want the extended warranty, you don't have to purchase it until the factory warranty runs out. That's what I was told by my dealer, and that is what I am doing. I'll keep the money in my pocket until I need to hand it over three years down the road...
Old 1/21/05, 11:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's another question about ordering a vehicle as opposed to buying it on the lot. Clearly you get a price set in stone preferbly for your trade also if you have it.

But have people experienced that they have to have financing in place at time of order or is that handled on delivery? I plan on getting financing through my credit union so I need to be pre-approved in that respect. But also due to some bills I'm paying off that could effect whether or not I qualify for a lone for the Stang would effect when I could order if I needed financing at time of order.

I think that made sense.
Old 1/21/05, 11:35 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by wjones14+January 20, 2005, 10:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wjones14 @ January 20, 2005, 10:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-05StangPwnedMe@January 20, 2005, 9:38 PM

1. I think you will be LUCKY if you get $500 over invoice on your price. Most dealers are charging MSRP or close to it. I got MSRP after going to four dealers in my area, and that was the best I could do. Use this price list to determine the invoice price: http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/0...riceList540.pdf
Won't hurt to try $500 over invoice - it's up to the dealer how much they'll settle for on the price.

2. $100? Again, this is dealer-dependent, but I think the average is closer to $1000. You negotiate the price at the time of the order, and the dealer should give you a paper that you'll sign showing how much the balance will be at delivery.

3. The trade-in could be discussed at the time of ordering, or when the car is delivered. You should do your homework first and determine the ballpark figure of how much your trade-in is worth beforehand: http://www.kbb.com/ I'd discuss that at order time, and if they're not giving you much, you could plan to sell the car on your own just before yours comes in. [/b][/quote]
Just going to throw in what I got.

1. I bought mine at invoice and that was after all the dealer fee's ect. and I didn't have any plan either. Just found a good dealer.

2. I did not have to put a deposit down. The salesman said if I decide not to buy it when it comes in, they wouldn't have any trouble selling it anyways. Just make sure you agree on a price when you order and get it in writing, you wouldn't want to wait 2-3 months for your car to get here and then they won't sell it to you at the price you want.

3. I didn't have a trade-in so I can't help you on this one, I kept my other car.
Old 1/21/05, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

financing is handled at the time of deliver usually. Remember if you use a credit union, the rate you are approved for is only good for 60days or somethin, then you have to reapply.
Old 1/21/05, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I already know that my credit union's pre-approvals are good for 30 to 60 days depending upon the loan.
Old 1/21/05, 01:00 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.. I knew I could count on you..

Honestly, I only wanted to test drive the GT and then make my order, but this salesguy is acting as if this GT they have on the lot (which is NOT what I want) is going to be the last one on earth... so, I believe Ill be going around the metroplex to find the best deal...

I bought my Explorer at Five Star in N RIchland Hills.. I may be going back there.. they sold me the vehicle for 250 over invoice... so at least I know they are willing to work with me...

I don't want to sound rude, but have you tried other dealers???
not rude at all.. just helping me cover my bases to get what I want while also getting the best deal...

thanks for the info and advice all.. I really appreciate it.
Old 1/21/05, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

I just talked to my dealer on the phone. I am ordering a Torch Red GT Convt. tomorrow, MSRP $32,045. I talked to several dealers in the KC area, and the best I could get was $1000 over invoice. Also, they are requiring that put $1000 down as a deposit. $1000 over invoice is about the best I have heard, but trying for $500 won't hurt. Let's you come up a little.
Old 1/21/05, 01:05 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Stadifer@January 21, 2005, 1:18 PM
I already know that my credit union's pre-approvals are good for 30 to 60 days depending upon the loan.
Depending on what your situation is, don't forget to factor in the wiat time on an order. 60 days would be cutting it close on most orders.
Old 1/21/05, 01:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Also join AQHA. For $30 you get a membership which entitles you to $500 off a Ford. You must be a member of AQHA for 30 days before any of their corporate partner benefits kick in but since it'll be about 12 weeks of a wait you should be ok.

Note: AQHA's e-letter I received says they had "record number" of new memberships in 2004. Gee, could it be from us?
Old 1/21/05, 01:59 PM

What is AQHA? If it helps any don't forget the dealer has his holdback and if the dealer is a Blue Oval Dealer they get additional money from the manufacture. Also, it in you favor when ordering that they get more from the manufacture because the car won't sit on their lot.

Quick Reply: Ordering This Weekend, Advice Wanted...