Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a 2007 tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/06, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering a 2007 tomorrow...

Well, I had a decent chat with the local salesman today - he gave me the coolest brochure - a 2006 Ford GT full color foldout! He told me to print out exactly what I wanted and bring it back to him so he could order it. Here's what I've decided:

2007 Mustang GT premium
Alloy exterior with Black/Dove interior
5 speed manual
18" fanblades
Interior Upgrade Package
Premier Trim w/color accent package
GT appearance package
Spoiler delete
3.55 limited slip rear axle
Charcoal instrument panel applique

WOOHOO!!!

I test drove a used 2005 vert today, and although it was a perfect day for the top down, I wouldn't trade that feeling for the cowl shake it had. I did get a good feel for the 5-speed and power though!
Old 8/14/06, 11:38 PM
GT Member

Sweet, good for you. How long of a wait do they estimate???
hey I am a poet
Old 8/15/06, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

Congrats!! Not sure what "cowl shake" you are referring to, both my 05 V6 vert and my 07 GT vert have been rock solid. I've heard a lot of complaints about pre-05 body flex in verts, but Ford really beefed up the new ones and it shows.
Old 8/15/06, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
Congrats!! Not sure what "cowl shake" you are referring to, both my 05 V6 vert and my 07 GT vert have been rock solid. I've heard a lot of complaints about pre-05 body flex in verts, but Ford really beefed up the new ones and it shows.
I have driven my dad's 1990 Miata and that thing is a wet noodle compared to the '05 I drove yesterday. The convertible thing just isn't for me - I'm a structural integrity guy at heart. I have subframe connectors and shock tower brace on my current car, a 97 T-Bird and it is very solid, especially over bumps or tracks. The vert had a decent case of mirror shake over bumps and I could see the cowl waving back and forth over the bumps. It only had 9K on it...
Old 8/15/06, 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
go to blue oval news .com and ask for a x-plan pin and see if that will save you some cash
Old 8/15/06, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
go to blue oval news .com and ask for a x-plan pin and see if that will save you some cash
Thanks for the tip. I am eligible for the A-plan because my father-in-law worked for Ford, and that price is much better than X-plan. Basically, the A-plan price takes $3000 off a premium GT sticker.
Old 8/15/06, 01:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Embalmer
The vert had a decent case of mirror shake over bumps and I could see the cowl waving back and forth over the bumps. It only had 9K on it...
All Mustangs get mirror shake going over bumps, that's related to how tight the suspension is set up rather than having anything to do with structural integrity. The verts have additional bracing over the coupes, I doubt the coupe has any more rigidity than the vert does. All the mag's have raved about how solid the vert is. I put 30k miles in behind the wheel of my V6 (only a few hundred on my GT so far) and I agree with them.

BTW, I'm not trying to talk you into getting a vert, it sounds like you've made your mind up. I'm posting this for the benefit of others who may read your comments and get the wrong impression about the verts having structural issues.
Old 8/15/06, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
All Mustangs get mirror shake going over bumps, that's related to how tight the suspension is set up rather than having anything to do with structural integrity. The verts have additional bracing over the coupes, I doubt the coupe has any more rigidity than the vert does. All the mag's have raved about how solid the vert is. I put 30k miles in behind the wheel of my V6 (only a few hundred on my GT so far) and I agree with them.

BTW, I'm not trying to talk you into getting a vert, it sounds like you've made your mind up. I'm posting this for the benefit of others who may read your comments and get the wrong impression about the verts having structural issues.
I would not buy a vert partially because of the structural difference (in my opinion), but mostly because it's impractical for me and I don't like the look of the car in profile with the roof up. Plus, it costs a lot more than a coupe. I think possibly the car might not have been at full strength, or maybe in an accident? I think everyone considering buying one should test drive it and see for themselves.
Old 8/16/06, 12:14 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't like the look of the car in profile with the roof up.
That's the reason I didn't want the 'vert as well. A lot of the retro styling with that quarter window is lost.
Old 8/17/06, 12:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Giddyup
That's the reason I didn't want the 'vert as well. A lot of the retro styling with that quarter window is lost.
I'm not so sure that's true...look at the quarter window on this 65 vert...

now look at the quarter window on this 2006 Pony Package...

see the resemblence? It's different than the coupe, but the verts have retro quarter window and roof styling as well
Old 8/17/06, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats on your decision to buy, the Stang is a thing of beauty.

That said, I would like to say that the convertible is probably the most structurally sound convertible in production and beats the crap out of earlier Mustang droptop structures. As a "Structural Guy" I am sure you could appreciate that. I have not seen the "Cowl Wave" or "Mirror Bounce" you described as mine does not have these problems at all.

Also the vert looks great with the top down but I feel that it looks almost as good with the top up especially with the cloth top. The car has great lines and nobody can dispute that.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the above is mine.
Old 8/17/06, 11:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, it's official! I handed the specs to my salesman and he was gonna order it tonight before he left work. How long before I should see some kind of numbers - DORA or whatever?
Old 8/18/06, 07:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, it's official! I handed the specs to my salesman and he was gonna order it tonight before he left work. How long before I should see some kind of numbers - DORA or whatever?
About a week. Congrats. Regarding the shake in the vert. I think that the thing that any vert owner will notice is the sideways shimmy when going over a bump in the road. In my '95 it was a lot more drastic than in my '07. But I must say that my expectations were probably too high for the '07 based on the writeups in the mags. I expected no shimmy, but there still is some.

On a brighter note, this morning I grabbed my first air (albeit like three inches probably) in the '07 driving down Smithbridge Rd in Chadds Ford, PA near the Dupont homes. It was kind of unexpected but way cool...
Old 8/22/06, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I got my order number from the dealer today. How long before I have a VIN so I can hound someone about my car?
Old 10/16/06, 11:15 PM
Bullitt Member

FINALLY!

I called the VOPC tonight and I am scheduled for the week of November 6th! Someone give me some nanners already!
Old 10/17/06, 12:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats!!! I'll not only give you some nanners, I'll give you some DANCIN' NANNERS!!! Long wait, but it will be worth it!
Old 10/17/06, 02:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Old 10/17/06, 10:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

I put one of Granatelli's single strut tower braces in mine and while there wasn't much flex before, the thing's so solid now I feel like I'm in a hardtop!

-Darth
Old 10/17/06, 02:49 PM
Cobra Member

Nov 6th is a pretty quick schedule date if you just ordered! You should have your car by late next month.
Old 10/17/06, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

congrats man!

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2007 tomorrow...