2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

One more question from a newb

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/05, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First I would like to thank you all very much. I have been to other forums where people seemed completely unwilling or unwanting to share feedback and help. This forum is completely different and now is the only one I frequent while I wait for my care to arrive. So thanks. Now for the question

Is there any effect (negative) to changing out to winter tires on your rims. Some have said to buy winter tires with completely different rims, but to be honest I would rather save my money for other mods and protect the tires I have.

If there is no high risk of damaging the rim with frequent change outs, I think I will probably get the bullit. Any opinions?
Old 9/7/05, 11:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

I don't see how changing the tires on a rim twice a year would cause any problems at all.

When you take the tires off though, you should indicate the location of each tire when you removed it (which one was front left, rear right, etc.) so that you can properly rotate them when needed.
Old 9/7/05, 11:14 AM
Cobra R Member

I think as long as you go to a reputable shop you will be ok. Good shops know how to remove the tires without hurting the wheels.
Old 9/7/05, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Many moons ago when I lived in the snow belt, I kept my snow tires on separate rims. The changeover was quick and easy. The pain was the do it yourselt studs that had to be pressed in.
Old 9/7/05, 11:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think that most people say to get different rims foe snow tires for the ease of switching them out, not having to unmount and remount balance ect, and also to protect the "good" rims.
I agree with the othe rcomments, a good shop shouldn't hurt the rim at all.
What I would do is, try to find someone who has bought aftermarket rims and seee if you can get the stock rims cheaper than buying new rims for the winter tires. Or if you get aftermarket rims, save the stock for winter.
HTH

Scott
Old 9/7/05, 12:22 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally you should swap out rims. You will find that after a few winters the clearcoat on the rims will chip and the aluminum will oxidize. Also, when the shop removes the factory weights you will see that the clearcoat is already damaged. I put winter tires on my factory rims with the intent on never using them again in the summer. After 1 winter they are still pretty good but I can already see a bit of oxidization around the area where the factory wheel weights were removed.
Old 9/7/05, 12:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
All good replies. And the cost for change over and rebalancing may come close to the cost of new rims.
It would cost you 74.00 plus tax to do that each time at my shop. 148.00 per year. Plus the extra time you lose. My suggestion like others, get an extra set of wheels.

Depends on how many times they are switched over the Steel beads of the tire can become (weaker/looser). Most likely you would wear them out before this would happen tho. I see it on our practice tires/rims for new employees.
Old 9/7/05, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I am going to stay stock bullits switch them over through winter and save for aftermarket wheels if necessary for summer.
Old 9/7/05, 02:08 PM
Cobra Member

Not intended as a flame, but if your going to run any vehicle through a winter of salt, then why worry about its factory wheels? My point being good wheels do not help the appearance of a corroded engine and undercarriage parts.
Old 9/7/05, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a lot cheaper to buy tires and maintain your car than it is to buy a "winter car"... Esp when winters last half the year...
Old 9/7/05, 07:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I lived up north I would save up for a beater.End of story.
Old 9/7/05, 07:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Boltzman@September 7, 2005, 7:44 PM
If I lived up north I would save up for a beater.End of story.

That was my plan as well... until the employee pricing/rebates/etc. started kicking in.

Picked up a new Durango last night for next to nothing.

(I'm just going to have to block out the fact that filling a 27 gallon tank with $3.00 gas is going to be ridiculous)

But anyway... I do think picking up some cheap wheels to put your snow tires on would be a good idea. Check ebay - there are a bunch on there.