2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

OK I've had enough of this !

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/05, 04:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:notnice: I'm pretty much tired of the way my 05 falls on it's face whenever it feels like doing it! You guys all know the drill, after coming to a stop, usually after a high speed cruise on the interstate, my Mustang starts to go, then falls on it's face only to recover very quickly. Now something is WRONG with these cars! Is FORD listening???? Doesn't matter if the traction control is on or not, it will do it without notice. As I said seems to pretty much be a given that after a run on the interstate, the next complete stop, it will fall on it's face when you TRY to move. Ford should know by now that this is a problem, and they should have a fix in the works. I call my dealer, and he says, Ford has nothing in the data base on this problem, WTF!!!! :bang: Do any of you folks have any info on this problem? Seems most of the time you folks know more about what is happening inside Ford than Ford does. Oh ya it's a V6 with auto, and traction control, other than this problem, I love this car!!!!!
Old 5/8/05, 05:10 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The only TSB I've seen is the one that states loss of power.

The fix was something about getting the V8
kidding of course.

I honestly don't know what the problem is...I've never experienced it.
Have you had the computer reflashed at the dealership?
When was yours built?
etc
Old 5/8/05, 05:19 PM
GT Member

I've got a 454 Chevy in the garage, do you think that will help? Seriously though, I thought I read that the V8 also had a hesitation problem, No?Granted not ALL cars are having a problem, mine was built in late October
Old 5/8/05, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05V6@May 8, 2005, 5:00 PM
:notnice: I'm pretty much tired of the way my 05 falls on it's face whenever it feels like doing it! You guys all know the drill, after coming to a stop, usually after a high speed cruise on the interstate, my Mustang starts to go, then falls on it's face only to recover very quickly. Now something is WRONG with these cars! Is FORD listening???? Doesn't matter if the traction control is on or not, it will do it without notice. As I said seems to pretty much be a given that after a run on the interstate, the next complete stop, it will fall on it's face when you TRY to move. Ford should know by now that this is a problem, and they should have a fix in the works. I call my dealer, and he says, Ford has nothing in the data base on this problem, WTF!!!! :bang: Do any of you folks have any info on this problem? Seems most of the time you folks know more about what is happening inside Ford than Ford does. Oh ya it's a V6 with auto, and traction control, other than this problem, I love this car!!!!!
I have experienced this same exact problem and my car is a v6, auto, NOT equiped with traction control.... some people are convinced that traction control is the culprit. It is not.
This a safety concern that does need to be addressed by Ford right away.
Old 5/8/05, 05:30 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by 05V6@May 8, 2005, 6:22 PM
I've got a 454 Chevy in the garage, do you think that will help? Seriously though, I thought I read that the V8 also had a hesitation problem, No?Granted not ALL cars are having a problem, mine was built in late October
I know that sometimes the Electronic Throttle Control may cause a hesitation
Old 5/8/05, 05:32 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by softbatch+May 8, 2005, 5:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ May 8, 2005, 5:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05V6@May 8, 2005, 6:22 PM
I know that sometimes the Electronic Throttle Control may cause a hesitation
[/b][/quote]

It is not really a hesitation. It is as if the engine shuts off for a split second and then cathes and takes off.
Old 5/8/05, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine did it today... only seems to do it when accelerating hard in a low gear with the TC on. It's like a carb hiccups when too much gas is poured in when you floor it. It is pretty annoying.
Old 5/8/05, 06:47 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by exc911ence@May 8, 2005, 6:25 PM
Mine did it today... only seems to do it when accelerating hard in a low gear with the TC on. It's like a carb hiccups when too much gas is poured in when you floor it. It is pretty annoying.
And you have a GT, so it occurs on the 4.6 also, probably not to the extent the 4.0 is having the problem. The reason I have had it, is because today I almost got rear ended when my Mustang decided to lay down, not good!!
Old 5/8/05, 06:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Haven't noticed this in my car yet, but i drive a manual. Maybe its only autos that are affected?
Old 5/8/05, 07:05 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Fazm@May 8, 2005, 6:53 PM
Haven't noticed this in my car yet, but i drive a manual. Maybe its only autos that are affected?
My car does it ONLY when it has been driven at a speed of or near 80 mph for at least forty miles. I drive the intersate all the time from where I live to the nearest city it is 22 miles, I can drive this all day at 80mph. The car will run fine after I come off the intersate and come to a full stop. If I drive further than this, and now that I'm thinking about it, it seems that it's not really the distance but the amount of time the car is driven at a constant speed, it will hickup at the first full stop. On the interstate is the ONLY time the throttle is held pretty constant for an extended period of time. Anywhere else the throttle is constantly being modulated, as road/ traffic conditions warrant. I wonder if it is related to the dwell time at a given throttle position that is causing the problem. It could be the throttle body itself, or a program clitch.
Old 5/8/05, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Could it be the variable cam shaft sensor. When I first got my GT, I heard a clicking. in the engine. Dealer said it was variable cam shaft sensor and that Ford knew about it and was working on a solution.
Old 5/8/05, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

It's the trans taking too long to downshift.
Old 5/8/05, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Shifty@May 8, 2005, 7:24 PM
That's what if feels like to me. Like as you coast up to the stop it's still in a higher gear, goes to gas, trans isn't ready, engine has to "pause" and wait, trans down-shifts, engine goes.
Old 5/8/05, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

ive had the same problem as well. does it after a drive on the interstate. once you stop at the exit ramp and go again it does it. i have a GT 5 spd, so its not just auto tranny related.
Old 5/8/05, 07:47 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by moze+May 8, 2005, 7:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moze @ May 8, 2005, 7:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Shifty@May 8, 2005, 7:24 PM
That's what if feels like to me. Like as you coast up to the stop it's still in a higher gear, goes to gas, trans isn't ready, engine has to "pause" and wait, trans down-shifts, engine goes.
[/b][/quote]
I don't think it's the trans, the car accelerates normally for a split second, the engine doesn't sound labored. The accel from a dead stop starts fine, just as it usually does.....then the throttle snaps shuts....then it opens again just as fast and the accell continues. This fly by wire stuff is strange, try this, at speed put your car in neutral, you will see the engine RPM stay at the in gear value even though you have no throttle input. Now slowly apply brake, the engine rpm will drop with vehicle speed. This seems to be why the car seems to be in high gear when slowing to a stop, the enigne rpm doesn't decrease as it would with a standard throttle linkage setup. It's strange as heck, if you try to slow on the interstate, by removing your foot from the throttle pedal it will be a little time before you will feel the car decel. Don't know if you have the same observations in a manual trans car. The auto trans makes me wonder just who the heck is doing the driving......AC/DC anyone ......who made who....
Old 5/8/05, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 05V6@May 8, 2005, 4:00 PM
I've never had any problem like this with my 05 Mustang GT. All I can suggest is taking the car to the dealer and ask them to find the problem and fix it.
Posting a message letting people know about a problem is a good idea in that it lets other owners know about problems to watch out for...but other then that it doesn't do you any good in fixing the problem by posting on the internet.

It's kind of like posting a message here when you have chest pain and asking us what the problem is when it's in your best interest to go the the hospital.
Old 5/8/05, 08:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05V6+May 8, 2005, 8:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05V6 @ May 8, 2005, 8:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by moze@May 8, 2005, 7:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Shifty
@May 8, 2005, 7:24 PM

I don't think it's the trans, the car accelerates normally for a split second, the engine doesn't sound labored. The accel from a dead stop starts fine, just as it usually does.....then the throttle snaps shuts....then it opens again just as fast and the accell continues. This fly by wire stuff is strange, try this, at speed put your car in neutral, you will see the engine RPM stay at the in gear value even though you have no throttle input. Now slowly apply brake, the engine rpm will drop with vehicle speed. This seems to be why the car seems to be in high gear when slowing to a stop, the enigne rpm doesn't decrease as it would with a standard throttle linkage setup. It's strange as heck, if you try to slow on the interstate, by removing your foot from the throttle pedal it will be a little time before you will feel the car decel. Don't know if you have the same observations in a manual trans car. The auto trans makes me wonder just who the heck is doing the driving......AC/DC anyone ......who made who....
[/b][/quote]
For all of you with auto trans, try this:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...ler%20300&st=40

Read post #41 and do what the guy suggests that he found in the Chrysler manual. I was having downshift uglies with my '05 GT and I did that - and all those downshift problems went away. It may not help but it certainly won't hurt, won't cost much nor take very long! And there's the outside chance it might help.

Good luck.
Old 5/8/05, 08:25 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have it and I hate it.
Already had it checked out.
Was pretty much told I am FOS.
Old 5/8/05, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you for starting this topic....
I have a GT manual... and it does the exact same thing.....
But not all the time... I've had the car for 8 months now and it's happened about a dozen times...
It really ticks me off.... I mean come on now... the motor is tried and true from the f150....
Old 5/8/05, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Not to jump on another "something is wrong" bandwagon, but this has happend to me a few times. Each time it was on a downshift and the engine seemed to miss or just die for a second. Has not happened since it has warmed up though...going to be asking dealer about this at the 15k service. I thought this was a pretty known issue with a tsb/fix already released?