Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil analysis done on the GT

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/06, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face

I changed the oil a few months ago (10k miles) and was concerned about the appearance of what appeared to be light sludge in the drain pan. The oil was 5w-20 Castrol GTX. I used the same oil and changed it again last week at the 15k mark. Again, a slight appearance of sludge. This time I sent a sample of the drained oil to Blackstone Labs for a blood test.

I just received the comprehensive report back (thanks Jim). All elements of the oil look pretty good except a high sodium level; possibly the result of using Castrol. I would like to post the report here for all to see but cannot post a PDF file on my website [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] ....any suggestions?
Old 2/24/06, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Okay...rather than posting the entire report, here are a few highlights:

Sodium:
Universal Averages - 7
PPM in sample provided - 206

Comments:
"John: We found above-average copper in this sample, but we don't necessarily think it's a problem.
We normally expect wear-in to be past by about 10,000 miles, though it sometimes takes longer.
That may be the case here. Or, if the 5w/20 is too thin for the California heat and freeway driving,
then that would lead to higher bearing wear (copper can be from bearings or bronze/brass part
in the engine). Sodium is from the Castrol, not antifreeze. Look for improvements next time and
feel free to use 10w/30".
Old 2/24/06, 01:16 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting.... thanks
Old 2/24/06, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting. I've been told the tolerances are to tight for 10w/30 though. Just something more to think about.
Old 2/24/06, 04:54 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will not use Castrol, look at the bottom of the new oil bottles after you empty them and you'll see sludge in the new oil bottles.

Switch to Motorcraft 5w-20 syn blend or Mobil 1 and you won't have any sludge.
Old 2/24/06, 05:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

The older 4.6L had issuses running 10w40, manfesting itself in the form of balloned oil filters or worse destroyed engines (cia 1992 with the 4.6 in CV in heavy duty service ie taxi/livery). The use of 5w20 is to help MPG ever so slightly
Old 2/24/06, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

also keep in mind the book calls for a synthetic blend. You don't have to run the super light weight oil as the post above suggests, it is to help with CAFE ratings by improving fuel economy ever so slightly.

I'm supprised at the findings though, I used to run castrol GTX in every car I owned and never had any problems.
Old 2/24/06, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nynvolt @ February 24, 2006, 7:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
also keep in mind the book calls for a synthetic blend. You don't have to run the super light weight oil as the post above suggests, it is to help with CAFE ratings by improving fuel economy ever so slightly.

I'm supprised at the findings though, I used to run castrol GTX in every car I owned and never had any problems.
[/b][/quote]

If by book you mean owner's manual, it does not call for a synthetic blend. Here's an exact quote from the owners manual:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.

Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines†by the American
Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms
to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and
Approval Committee (ISLAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.

To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an
equivalent 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A
. SAE
5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability
performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine.[/b][/quote]

Any oil that meets the above specification is OK whether it's conventional, synthetic, or a blend.
Old 2/24/06, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe they are referring to the fact that the factory Motorcraft oil is a synthetic blend. Was told by many techs that all 5W20 is a blend, but who knows. Oil always ends up being a religous discussion, I belong to the church of use what the factory uses...interesting stuff though, curious to see more analysis done from different cars/parts of the country.
Old 2/24/06, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ February 24, 2006, 10:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If by book you mean owner's manual, it does not call for a synthetic blend. Here's an exact quote from the owners manual:
Any oil that meets the above specification is OK whether it's conventional, synthetic, or a blend.
[/b][/quote]

Those Owners Manuals are just too generic for my liking. My Service Write-up guy who just happens to be the dude that also sold and delivered the GT too us, comfirms that the factory uses the 5-20 Synthetic blend and that is what they use in their oil change for the GT.
Old 2/24/06, 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Badsnke98 @ February 24, 2006, 10:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Those Owners Manuals are just too generic for my liking. My Service Write-up guy who just happens to be the dude that also sold and delivered the GT too us, comfirms that the factory uses the 5-20 Synthetic blend and that is what they use in their oil change for the GT.
[/b][/quote]

Thats exactly what I got today, the 5-20 Synthetic blend with my freebie first oil change from the dealer. I may still go with Mobil 1 on my future changes though. The service manager told me Ford's opinion was that the blend was just as effective as pure synthetic.
Old 2/24/06, 09:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donkey @ February 24, 2006, 9:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I believe they are referring to the fact that the factory Motorcraft oil is a synthetic blend. Was told by many techs that all 5W20 is a blend, but who knows. Oil always ends up being a religous discussion, I belong to the church of use what the factory uses...interesting stuff though, curious to see more analysis done from different cars/parts of the country.
[/b][/quote]

No, not all 5W20 is a blend and he said that the book "calls for synthetic blend." That's what I was responding to.
Old 2/24/06, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

What was your copper count?? Mine was high also...23 /universal is 6
Old 2/24/06, 10:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a firm believer in Motorcraft oil and filters myself. Its almost impossible to beat thier filters, we cut every brand open just to check. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/25/06, 03:34 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vegasjay @ February 24, 2006, 8:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What was your copper count?? Mine was high also...23 /universal is 6
[/b][/quote]

Copper count was 17ppm with the same 6ppm universal figure. How many miles were on your car when you did your lab sample? All other numbers on my report were lower than the universal counts so I guess that's a good thing.
Old 2/25/06, 06:46 AM
Cobra Member

I stand corrected, I don't have my book with me, its in the car but could have sworn it stated synthetic blend for gt in the section listing quantities and types of fluids in the back.

Certainly do not want to missinform people.
Old 2/25/06, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John SCB @ February 25, 2006, 2:37 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Copper count was 17ppm with the same 6ppm universal figure. How many miles were on your car when you did your lab sample? All other numbers on my report were lower than the universal counts so I guess that's a good thing.
[/b][/quote]

I have 12,500 miles on her. That sample was only with 500 miles on the oil but was in for 5 month's. At 12k I stopped driving her everyday...I change the oil fanatically, first at 1000 mi, then 4000 mi and every 3k since that...I use Amsoil 5w-20 and their filters only. Blackstone said basically the same thing that they felt it was just a little residual "brake-in" and that it was fine. All my other values were well bellow the universals. That was my first test as I wanted to make sure the oil was o.k. for 6 month's with low miles, so I don't have a baseline. I will be sending in another sample soon...Especially now with the Saleen I will be keeping an eye on the oil.
Old 2/25/06, 10:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nynvolt @ February 25, 2006, 7:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I stand corrected, I don't have my book with me, its in the car but could have sworn it stated synthetic blend for gt in the section listing quantities and types of fluids in the back.

Certainly do not want to missinform people.
[/b][/quote]

I know that you're referring to. It's in the back under "Refill Capacities". In the engine oil section it says:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Motorcraft SAE
5W-20 Premium
Synthetic Blend
Motor Oil (US)
Motorcraft SAE
5W-20 Super
Premium Motor
Oil (Canada)[/b][/quote]

However, that is in the "Ford Part Number" column. It's only noting the Ford brand oil that matches the spec. It's not saying to only use synthetic blend.
Old 2/25/06, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would advise strongly no to go with a 10w-30 oil in these cars. The oil is too think under start up conditions. What tends to happen is the cold thick oil can not make it's way to the cam phasers in time as not to cause damage. This has been documented at local Ford dealers, that have techs that have no idea what they are doing. An unsupecting person drops off there new car with 3,000 miles on it for an oil change. The tech (being an idiot) thinks is just an oil change and dumps 10w-30 in the crankcase. Person drives away and notices a ticking noise coming from the engine. Yep, cam phasers are toast and the VCT units are no longer functioning properly. You should run full synthetic oil after a break-in period of 12,000 miles. It is at this point that the internal parts of the engine reach what is called equallibrium. Meaning all the surfaces that contact each other are now as smooth as they are going to get (kinda like polished). It would cost way to much to have manufactures try to machine parts to the this standard and it is almost if not impossible to get the "smoothness" that you get from 12,000 miles of driving.
Old 2/25/06, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sscobra @ February 25, 2006, 10:36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I would advise strongly no to go with a 10w-30 oil in these cars. The oil is too think under start up conditions. What tends to happen is the cold thick oil can not make it's way to the cam phasers in time as not to cause damage. [/b][/quote]

Sounds like great advice, thanks. Guess I'll stay with 5w-20 but must get off the Castrol. Too bad because I've always used it on previous cars (mainly 80's BMW's) with great results. Full synthetic will get expensive so it's a tough call to convert over. Wonder how much extra engine life can be expected if running Syn over conventional... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Oil analysis done on the GT