2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official study into 05 Mustang export to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/05, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Besides the report on the new vert in our Ducth Autoweek mag the competing magazine Autovisie today published a nice report on the 05 GT coupe. They thought it was pretty cool, except for the well known weaker points like the steering wheel not being lateral adjustable, the lack of side support in the seats and the lack of storage space in the doors and the glove compartment. But no matter how good the car is it is never going to be big over here as so far all we have here are a buch of grey importers bringing in cars one by one and selling them for anything between $55.000 and $70.000. Not good! You can get nicely equipped SLK's or Z4's here for less.

But there is something that brings a bit of hope to us affordable Stang starved Europeans. It's a small article in the same magazine, and since it has a very reliable rep I believe it actually to be true:

Although Ford US can barely keep up producing the new Mustang to US demand and therefore is not really anxious to bring the new car abroad interest from Europeans in the car has been rising to a level that Lewis Booth, CEO of Ford Europe, has appointed a program manager to research official import of the Mustang into Europe. "We need to develop a service infrastructure and a meaningful businessplan, as we want to be independant of exchange rate fluctuation and be able to maintain this operation in the long run", according to Booth, who confirmed he will make a decision this year on the import of US Ford models, including the Mustang.

This is really nice. At least we will have a chance now of maybe seeing 05's or 06's over here for a reasonable price.
Old 1/20/05, 02:31 PM
GT Member

high hopes.
Old 1/20/05, 03:49 PM
V6 Member

I think that private import will be more profitable. GT Premium with all adds only without atomatic and shaker 1000 is 30k$ this is price after shipping to Europe. And this is taxation base. You would have to add 10% duty and VAT. In my country Vat is very high 22% I thing that in Holand is lower. And thats it We also (in my country) have additional tax between duty and vat it is 13.6 % but this tax will be cancel in spring Look at Chrysler prices in Europe are higher than buying and shipping in US. Also German cars are cheaper in US so reimport is more profitable than buying the same in Euro dealer. So GT Premium at Spring will cost me about 42k$. It is not so bad

But this is good news I red about it in polish mag about 2 month ago. So mayby thay will decide. We will have service opportunity
Old 1/20/05, 04:05 PM

I am considering shipping one to France in a onth or 2 and will see if there is a way around the 19% vat. Anyone interested? It would be near Nice. You could even order it to spec/color, etc.

Any ideas on what modifications are needed for Euro registartion-lights, windshield?
Old 1/20/05, 10:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Even though I don't live in Europe, that is a very exciting prospect. Hearing from another group of customers with different priorities can only improve the car in the longrun, and I want this car around for another 40 years.
Old 1/21/05, 01:02 PM
V6 Member

Rear indicators must be orange and rear fog lamp is needed. I think that also headlights must be change to asymmetrical. These
all modifications are easy to make
Duty for US an Japanise cars is the same in all European Union countries. It is 10%
Old 1/21/05, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Export to Europe might also expedite the implementation of a proper independent rear suspension.

The Euros will demand it...and then we might all benefit.