2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

November Road and Track

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/04, 10:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A review, not a test, but its quite positive nonetheless. They give a 0-60 estimate of 5.3 seconds, which is about what we were estimating i think, before motor trend blew us away.
I can't say i'm up to typing the whole thing out, maybe someone can scan it, or maybe i can at school if i remember to bring the magazine. But its very positive all the way through. They didn't even rag on the live axle, check it out:
"Even the old-school bits on the car, like its live rear axle, have been updated. There is a more sophisticated 3-link setup with a Panhard rod that shows there is considerable life left in this seemingly antiquated technology."
There was hardly anything negative, just a comment on brakes that "feel a bit spongy upon initial application. When fully engaged, the brakes are easy to modulate and the ABS kicks in with little drama." Overall, the review focuses on how much of a huge improvement this car is over its predecessor, as opposed to comparing it to other cars in other segments.

Now Daniel, I'm curious, you said you voted on their Best Car thing, what did you put as your address? It doesn't give you the option of saying outside US or anything.
i think the Ford GT will definitely win the Dream Car award, its up against the DB9, Ferrari 612, Murcielago Roadster, and Maserati MC12. Hands down!
Old 10/6/04, 05:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

cool

the german car mag that tested the 05 was also quite positive about the live axle. I hope I can scan it today or tomorrow and post it for you guys
Old 10/7/04, 12:39 AM
Bullitt Member

kudos to the Stang (as expected), but though it kills me to say this, I'd drop my $150K on the Aston...
Old 10/7/04, 02:29 PM
Cobra Member

I'd be torn between the GT and the DB9...
Old 10/8/04, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Dr Iven@October 7, 2004, 2:32 PM
I'd be torn between the GT and the DB9...
better yet, drop 100K on this gem right here, and by two Mustang GT's with the money you save
Old 10/8/04, 12:02 PM
Cobra Member

Decent review. I'm looking forward to a full on road test.

If I ever win the lottery, I'd buy an Aston Martin. The Vantage would be just fine, thank you.
Old 10/15/04, 02:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a link to the Road & Track November "First Drive"...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...article_id=1603

Pretty positive.
Old 10/16/04, 04:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?ar...0&page_number=1

and dont forget to vote for the mustang, Best car 2005
Old 11/3/04, 11:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

2005 Ford
Mustang GT
The Old School Rules
by Matt Delorenzo (Road & Track)

The styling of the 2005 Mustang GT is a blast from the past. With its C-pillar quarter windows and hunkered-down stance, this car looks as if it could have been the immediate successor to the 1968 Mustang. Not only does the car convery this direct link to its roots, its longer wheelbase and wider track give it much greater presence that the 2004 model it replaces.

Its that larger package and whats under the skin that make the '05 model a winner. The Mustang GT is far more comfortable that last year's car and drives infinitely better that the original.

The first thing you notice when sliding behind the wheel is how much larger the cabin seems, thanks to a 6-inch gain in wheelbase. The cowl is higher and farther away than in the previous car, giving the cockpit an airy feel. The twin binnacle dash layout, with its optional aluminum fascia recalls the original Mustang, but is a fresh way. The greater width adds much needed elbow room the front bucket seats while rear passengers also enjouy gains in leg and shoulder room.

For all its retro cues that range fron the three segment tail lamps to the graphics on the instrumentation, this is one modern automobile. The 4.6 liter 3 value single overhead cam V8 pumps out 300 bhp and 320 lb.ft of torque. The brakes are 4 wheel vented discs with 12.4 in rotors up front and 11.8 in rotoers in the rear,w ith ABS standard. A Tremec 5 speed manual gearbox is standard while a 5 speed automatic is optional.

Even the old shool bits on the car, like its live rear axle have been updated. There is a more sophisticated 3 link setup with a Panhard rod that shows there is considerable life left in this seemingly antiquated technology. This mechanical package matches its straight forward approach to the driving. Simply twist the key ( no pushbutton start or keyless wizardry here) and the V-8 rumbles to life with a satisfying exhaust growl. The 5 speed Tremec has a much shorter lever and more precise throws that the previous manual. Clutch take up is easy and the wide torque band of the V8 allows you to either effortlessly glide away or smoke the tires depending on your mood. A bit of slip programmed into the car's traction control system preserves the car's straight line thrills with out the need of having to punch an "off" button.

While the muscular V-8 provides nearly as much horsepower as last year's Mach 1, and we expect similar 0-6- mph times of around 5.3 seconds, keep in mind that this is the base GT, a car that is expected to cost some where around $25,000, or $5000.00 less that that step up model.

Smoky burnouts are amusing, but the real value of the new Mustang platform comes through in its handling. This car feels more settled than the previous GT, and the ride is less choppy thanks to the longer wheelbase. The 3 link rear withs its Panhard rod does an admirable job of keeping the rear end firmily planted. The new GT feels solid when cornering hard, whereas ther previous model felt a bit nervous at the limit.

The standard 17 inch wheels are shod with P235/55ZR-17 Pirelli P Zero tires which provide excellent grip, so the Mustang feels more neutral with a quicker turn-in, though some understeer remains. Conversly, if you goose the trhottle in a turn, you can make the rear end step out, but it is much more predictable and progressive now.

This is a fun car to drive on the throttle.

Overall the Mustang GT is nicely balanced and the steering has a good on center feel, with enough effort to match the car's handling. The brakes have sufficient stopping power, but feel a bit spongy upon initial application. When fully engaged the brakes are easy to modulate and the ABS kicks in with little drama. The Mustang, trhrough its retro styling, unabashedly plays the nostalgia card and is already generating a lot of traffic in the hsowroom, where i's joined by a 210-bhp 4.0 liter V6 model starting at less than $20.000.00 The way the car drives, however, is what will keep buyers coming back for more.