2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No test drive allowed!

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/04, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is funny. I had called several dealers in the area. They said they would call me back when they had some mustangs in. I just got a call from Imlay City Ford here in Michigan. He said they have a Red GT that was just delivered today. He said that it is for sale but they aren't letting anyone test drive it to keep the miles down on it. WTF? Who would buy a car without test driving it first? lol I could see if it was a Ford GT or something but come on. Good thing I got a test drive in already :P

Jason
Old 10/22/04, 01:01 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Happened to me last Saturday. The dealer close to me told me a green gt had just arrived. I broke all laws of traffic to get there quickly and go drive....Get there and the **#($ thing was on the showroom floor. We arent letting people drive it, so it won't have miles on it. WTF, I was kinda poed.

Apparently not ten minutes after I left some poor soul came from MS and snatched it up. $29,730 later.....the poor dears for an auto.
Old 10/22/04, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

same thing happened to me, i wanted to test drive a black GT and he said you must buy before you drive, and my boyfriend told him, i would not give you 20,000 for a car i couldn't test drive! but not only that but he was asking 5,000 over MSRP!! SOME NERVES!
Old 10/22/04, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@October 22, 2004, 1:04 PM
Happened to me last Saturday. The dealer close to me told me a green gt had just arrived. I broke all laws of traffic to get there quickly and go drive....Get there and the **#($ thing was on the showroom floor. We arent letting people drive it, so it won't have miles on it. WTF, I was kinda poed.

Apparently not ten minutes after I left some poor soul came from MS and snatched it up. $29,730 later.....the poor dears for an auto.
Hey April,

Did you get a test drive one yet? Or is that the only stang you have visited at a dealer?
Old 10/22/04, 01:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

I got the same line from a couple of the local dealers but one of them was all set for today and then when I arrived they had hijacked the Stang to take to a show up the street. I did go and actually finally sit in a Black GT with the light gray interior...hopefully when the show is over I'll be able to get a test ride.
Old 10/22/04, 01:13 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by JZInternet+October 22, 2004, 2:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JZInternet @ October 22, 2004, 2:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EleanorsMine@October 22, 2004, 1:04 PM

Hey April,

Did you get a test drive one yet? Or is that the only stang you have visited at a dealer? [/b][/quote]
The good news is, I have a slot at the innovation drive next weekend so eight more days at the latest.

The bad news is, No I have not driven one yet. I have my two favorite salesmen on call to let me know. My favorite salesman who works at a bad dealer is getting a shipment of driveable v6's in soon and summon me to go tear it up.
Old 10/22/04, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Iordered mine Monday. My dealer called me today and said that I could come over and test drive the GT that had been delivered today. It's not mine but I thought it was pretty cool of them to let me have a test drive. Ialso asked to make sure that the car hadn't been sold already so I wasn't running up the miles on a presold car.
Old 10/22/04, 01:21 PM
mav
GT Member

Old 10/22/04, 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

When I went to my local ford deal the EXACT same thing happened. Here it is, sit, look, drool....

Oh you dont think we're gonna let you drive it do you?!

WHAT?!
Old 10/22/04, 01:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

I was at a dealer today and the only GT they had was in the cleanup area. The salesman took me back to see it and then said that I could ride up with the lot boy to get gas. On the way back he let me drive it. It was only 1/2 a mile away...
but better than nothing...
Old 10/22/04, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right now the dealers have us by the kahonies so get used to it....Next year comes and it will be the buyers market and not the sellers. Ford just needs to get more of them out....If that 5000+ wasn't on hold it might even be a different story but it's the old supply/demand thing. They know that people will buy since the pickins is slim. :angry: :angry: :angry:
Old 10/22/04, 02:11 PM
dke
Bullitt Member

My attitude is that if a Dealer says, "you can't drive". I'll tell them in no uncertain terms, that not only won't I buy it now (untested), but that I'll buy from their competition because they were obnoxious. (And I'll back that up). I would never buy a car from a dealer that pulled sh*t like that -- impacted or not.
Old 10/22/04, 02:12 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by JZInternet@October 22, 2004, 1:00 PM
This is funny. I had called several dealers in the area. They said they would call me back when they had some mustangs in. I just got a call from Imlay City Ford here in Michigan. He said they have a Red GT that was just delivered today. He said that it is for sale but they aren't letting anyone test drive it to keep the miles down on it. WTF? Who would buy a car without test driving it first? lol I could see if it was a Ford GT or something but come on. Good thing I got a test drive in already :P

Jason
Someone like me would. I already ordered mine and have never even seen the stang in person. It is being built on Nov 11 so I guess I will take the "ultimate" test drive when it arrives.
Old 10/22/04, 02:14 PM
Retired Tms Staff

My dealer is getting 2 GT's for the showroom late November and they said until next spring all cars they are getting are already sold (exept the show room ones) and they are not letting any test drives in those.
Old 10/22/04, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin+October 22, 2004, 2:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adrenalin @ October 22, 2004, 2:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JZInternet@October 22, 2004, 1:00 PM

Jason
Someone like me would. I already ordered mine and have never even seen the stang in person. It is being built on Nov 11 so I guess I will take the "ultimate" test drive when it arrives. [/b][/quote]
You won't go to another dealer and take a test drive?
Old 10/22/04, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

The sales guy in my dealer said "No test drives due to milege". My response was: "I'd never purchase a car i couldn't drive. Just like when i buy a boat, if i can't bay test it, i won't buy it, period!"

He tried to tell me they'd never sell a car with 600 miles on it. I told him one of the sales people who get demo's all the time would jump all over that for a demo. He didn't reply.

I completely understand his position but there's no way i'll "Buy before drive".
Old 10/22/04, 03:45 PM

The dealer pulled that with me in 99 when the new models came out. He said he would let me ride along with him....I turned around and bought the next day from a dealer a few miles away.
However, I do see their point-they know people with no means to buy will waste their time and beat up the car. You really can't blame them because they will sell the car anyway.
Old 10/22/04, 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by JZInternet@October 22, 2004, 1:00 PM
Who would buy a car without test driving it first?
Me would. And did.
Old 10/22/04, 04:05 PM
GT Member

My dealer will remove the Mustang GT from the show room and let you drive it, but requires deposit on pre-order
Old 10/22/04, 04:07 PM

I have test driven scores of different cars, including a porsche boxter, g35, navigator, LS, 03 Cobra (used), GTO, 4runners, maxima....no salesman ever fed me that kind of BS...I say see ya!

Quick Reply: No test drive allowed!