2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start when hot..

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/17, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start when hot..

Hey guys new member here and pls forgive me in advance if I posted in the wrong forum. Love all u guys for the great info u all post to help others with their technical issues.. I have one and maybe u guys can help. I have a 08 GT with just ur basic bolt ons..CAI .. Bama tuner .. Under drive pulley exhuast from the cat backs with 373 rears.. My problem is this .. And it just started happening. On a cold start the stang starts up fine ..runs good no issues .. But once I shut it off.. She cranks but doesn't start.. I have to wait till she cools off a bit and when she does .. She comes right back on.. No CEL .. Nothing .. And it's racking my brain. Something is over heating and I don't know what it is . I even hear the fuel pump coming on.. But nothing when she's hot. Maybe the fuel pump relay? I don't know.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Old 6/1/17, 05:02 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony stang
Hey guys new member here and pls forgive me in advance if I posted in the wrong forum. Love all u guys for the great info u all post to help others with their technical issues.. I have one and maybe u guys can help. I have a 08 GT with just ur basic bolt ons..CAI .. Bama tuner .. Under drive pulley exhuast from the cat backs with 373 rears.. My problem is this .. And it just started happening. On a cold start the stang starts up fine ..runs good no issues .. But once I shut it off.. She cranks but doesn't start.. I have to wait till she cools off a bit and when she does .. She comes right back on.. No CEL .. Nothing .. And it's racking my brain. Something is over heating and I don't know what it is . I even hear the fuel pump coming on.. But nothing when she's hot. Maybe the fuel pump relay? I don't know.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
From what you just described, it's either the fuel pump going bad or fuel relay as you mentioned.. Therefore I would start with the relay first and also have the fuel pump checked as well.. But it's definitely not the alternator, otherwise it wouldn't have enough cranking power for starting your car regardless of how cold or hot the engine may happen to be, as that wouldn't be a factor.. I would also recommend having your fuel injectors checked as well just to be on the safe side..
Old 6/2/17, 08:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Check your battery too, mine was going bad and when I stopped for a short time while and the engine was hot, it wouldn't start. The battery would heat soak and since it was weak it wouldn't start till it cooled down.
Old 6/2/17, 08:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
This could be caused by a few things as some have mentioned.
If it only happens when hot it could be vapor lock. Fuel line to close to the engine gets hot and it will boil and will not flow correctly. The other thing is did you check the spark? I have seen coils go bad and not work when they are hot.

Good luck those are fun to trouble shoot as the engine has to be hot.
Old 6/6/17, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Have you tried to clear the cylinders when this happens? Maybe 4-5 times in all the years I've had my car it has done this. I usually clear the cylinders and keep cranking as I return the throttle to zero and she starts right up. Don't have any explanation why this is, just my experience.
Old 7/5/17, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well guys thanks for the great advice..

I swapped out the fuel pump relay and still having the same issue .. But I did realize when she's hot .. I don't hear the fuel pump priming .. But when it was raining here a few days ago .. I drove her to work .. Shut her off and guess what .. She started right up.. Maybe the rain was cooling off something underneath.. I do notice .. When I am in the car .. It's incredibly hot at times . Now mind u.. I have a GT 500 tranny in the car.. That's how I purchased it .. Not from the dealer of course . I changed he spark plugs .. And the coil packs look good .. Haven't gotten to the other stuff.. Yet.. I know it's something stupid causing the problem.. My friend said it could be the wire harness.. But I don't think so. Any more advice will be appreciated . Thanks .
Old 7/5/17, 08:18 PM

I would recommend taking your car to either a shop or local dealer and have your electrical system tested.. Until you have the system diagnosed, you're just pretty much spinning your wheels and grasping at straws not knowing exactly what's causing your car not to turn over when it's warm.. Anyway just my opinion
Old 7/10/17, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony stang
I swapped out the fuel pump relay and still having the same issue .. But I did realize when she's hot .. I don't hear the fuel pump priming .. But when it was raining here a few days ago .. I drove her to work .. Shut her off and guess what .. She started right up.. Maybe the rain was cooling off something underneath.. I do notice .. When I am in the car .. It's incredibly hot at times . Now mind u.. I have a GT 500 tranny in the car.. That's how I purchased it .. Not from the dealer of course . I changed he spark plugs .. And the coil packs look good .. Haven't gotten to the other stuff.. Yet.. I know it's something stupid causing the problem.. My friend said it could be the wire harness.. But I don't think so. Any more advice will be appreciated . Thanks .
Have you tried to clear the cylinders when this happens? Maybe 4-5 times in all the years I've had my car it has done this. I usually clear the cylinders and keep cranking as I return the throttle to zero and she starts right up. Don't have any explanation why this is, just my experience.
Old 7/11/17, 06:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

What does "clear the cylinders" mean?
Old 7/11/17, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
What does "clear the cylinders" mean?
If you hold the pedal to the floor while cranking the starter it cuts off the fuel injectors. This allows you to clear the cylinders of any fuel that may be in there. Basically helps if the engine gets flooded for some reason. I have found in my 20 or so no start scenarios when hot, that holding the pedal to the floor while cranking and then letting off back to the idle position while still cranking the motor will start her right up.

It happened yesterday with me. I stopped to get gas and the card reader wasn't working so I immediately tried to start her up to move to another pump. Cranked but wouldn't fire up. Pressed the pedal to the floor and started cranking. While continuing to hold the key in the start position I released the pedal and she fired right up. I don't know why she occasionally does this but it is only when I immediately try and restart the car when she's hot. It is a rare occurrence and happens only about 2-3 times a year.

I only mention it as it is something to try without costing any money. I suspect it may be a tune thing but it's never been much of an issue.
Old 7/11/17, 12:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

OK, good to know ...
Old 7/13/17, 07:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
autozone will test your charging system for free
Old 7/29/17, 06:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy 09 ford mustang GT premium won't start

09 ford mustang GT premium won't start
I checked the battery and altenator, starter cables
radio was off and dash started to flash and radio came on making noise all by itself. I haven't a clue does anyone have any ideas I just purchase this car with 57000 miles on it.
Old 7/29/17, 11:29 PM

It means that it's time to replace the battery.. Whenever your dash flashes and radio comes on by itself making noises, your battery is nearly completely discharged.. Try jump starting or use a battery charger.. If your car still doesn't start, your battery is toast..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/30/17 at 09:12 PM.
Old 7/31/17, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
It means that it's time to replace the battery.. Whenever your dash flashes and radio comes on by itself making noises, your battery is nearly completely discharged.. Try jump starting or use a battery charger.. If your car still doesn't start, your battery is toast..
thanks bud I got a new battery today thanks for the input
Old 7/31/17, 11:47 AM

hello all I looking to get my 09 gt pipes change so it could sound a lot better so fat I have I regular stock one in it I trying to save cost any advise you could get me