2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

NightMARE In the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/04, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had my 98 Stang I did not have a garage and my drive way was on a decline.
I parked the car at the end of the drive (bottom of the Incline)at the first site of snow. It sat there all winter. My driveway does not get any sun, so it was mid April before I could get the car out as it took that long for the ice to melt. I even had my daughter sitting in the trunk to try and give me traction. B) Took me two hours to get it out. We had used everything under the sun to try and get the ice melted to no avail. Finally with daughter in trunk and hubby pushing from the front got it backed out. I think my drive way was the only place that still had ice, everywhere else grass was growing and spring flowers were popping up, but my car was stuck. Needless to say it did not go back there the next winter B)
Old 12/13/04, 07:50 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kellarina+December 13, 2004, 8:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kellarina @ December 13, 2004, 8:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adrenalin@December 13, 2004, 8:09 PM
Never ever ever ever drive a mustang in the snow with factory tires. That is just suicidal.

I put Michelin X-Ice tires on my car and drove home from work today after 3 inches of snow fell with no issues. A lot of the intersections were ice and I was smiling all the way home.
How much would a set of four 17"'s cost of those? [/b][/quote]
Cost me $916.00 canadian for all 4 installed.
Old 12/13/04, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by EZ-Kill@December 13, 2004, 7:57 PM
I've driven my 2000 in the snow in Calgary, Alberta and sometimes we get lot's. Even on the worst days when you can feel snow hitting the bottom of the car it wasn't terrible. Then again I've always driven bad snow cars, 69 camaro etc. My 2000 has no traction control so I can't see the 2005 being any worse. When you get snow under the ice even a 4X4 has problems with hills(ala my 2004 sport track). It was probably more the road conditions then the actual car. There are some days were any car at all is extremely difficult to drive.
I tought traction control was standard on the GT since 1999
Old 12/13/04, 10:20 PM
Cobra Member

Get a cheap set of some 15" or 16" rims that'll fit the car.. and get some Blizzaks mounted on them. A set of 4 cost me roughly $425... I got them at Sears when they were clearancing them out.. end of season sale.. check it out in mid Jan

Or get a set of Directional Tires.. those make a world of difference too.

No problems here Just take your time and remember how to drive in the snow... and look out for morons.
Old 12/13/04, 11:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by steve19970@December 13, 2004, 5:32 PM
Maybe it's the type of snow you guys get, but I've already been through a couple of snowy and icy days here in Colorado and the Stang passed with flying colors.
dont let mustang eat yellow snow
Old 12/14/04, 01:01 AM
Cobra R Member

If we get snow in Longview, then I will be driving my Fiancee's Ranger. I'm a great driver on icy/snowy roads......I just worry about the other idiot around me that doesn't know how to, and there are plenty of those.
Old 12/14/04, 02:10 AM
GT Member

snow tires are available for the 05 Mustang GT.....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp...ng=ZR&x=20&y=16
Old 12/14/04, 03:37 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

I put blizzaks on my M3 after the first snow storm (4 years ago), and it changed the car from reckless, to survivable. But it is the type of storm you're having. (I also moved to a more moderate all-season with good snow grip and did fine last year -- be careful because not all all-seasons have any decent snow rating -- they have to have little paddles in the tread -- some are great for water, lousy for snow).

Yesterday morning (I live close to Kellerina), I went to work, after having the first accumulation, and we had that weird, melted and refrozen snow layer on the tarmac, with a little snow on top, so there were many slick spots (ice patches). It wasn't the dry snow, or the melting and running off, it was the nasty stuff. (I was slipping walking, and my car was a bit tricky, even without a solid rear axle). By mid day, things were fine, and I got home OK.

I assume by night or when she came home it was bad again. It was that in-between temperature that can be heck. But it accumulated and froze over tonight -- so it is going to be "interesting" getting to work this morning. As usual, in ohio, most snows don't bug my car. The ones that do, bug everyone's car -- I've seen four wheel drive trucks slowly slide off the road, etc.... I suspect that a little of it is that we get used to a little back end slippage in our cars and take it with ease -- but when it is our BRAND NEW BABY then you're a LOT more sensitive to it.
Old 12/14/04, 03:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Summer, or all-season, tires can NEVER function properly in snow/ice conditions. What's so hard to get about that? If you want to drive your stang in snow, get winter tires, since the rubber composition allows them to stay flexible and maintain grip in cold conditions. What happens with summer tires is that when they get cold, they get rock solid and then you could as well drive on a set of slicks.

Tirerack seems to have some good alternatives. But if you can get Nokians over there, they have without a doubt the best high performance winter tires. Keep dimensions small and narrow.
Old 12/14/04, 06:47 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Most all-season tires are branded M+S (mud and snow), a strictly all season tire is formulated to resist temperature extremes.

I put a set of mich pilot sport a/s tires on my 02 and had very little trouble in the snow (when it does snow in southern va), the only real trouble I had was when the roads got the first light dusting of snow and the roads were slicker than whale snot on water. After the white stuff built up the car had no problem, The only challenge there after was ice (which required me to defeat the traction control system).

However you are correct if you are saying that snow tires will handily out perform what most people consider all-season tires in the snow.
Old 12/14/04, 07:11 AM
V6 Member

I've got a set of four Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on my 2003 Cobra. Over 400 hp, and no problem driving in the snow/ice/whatever winter throws at me. Skinny snow tires make all the difference in the world.
I got stuck once last year in a snow storm before I had the winter tires on and it was not driveable. We get some nasty weather here in cheese country.
Nokian Haakepaliitta (sp?) tires are also excellent. I had them on my 99 Mustang GT for winters (on 16" rims) and they were even better than the Dunlops I have for winter now. I should have gone with them again, but there was not a size in the 17" that worked right for the Cobra when I was looking for them.
I recommend going with a set of extra rims and skinny high profile tires for winter. ANY Mustang will drive well in winter with good snow tires on it. But if you keep the stock "all season" (what a misnomer that is) tires on, you are asking for trouble when the sticky white stuff flies....
Old 12/14/04, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

hi Adrenalin...I got x-ice too but the size is 225/55r17 cause I keep my bullitt wheels for winter and I'll go for aftermarket chrome wheels this summer.. the 225 is the narrower tire I can put on this 8 inches wheels but it works very fine when you drive slow...what did you put on yours?
Old 12/14/04, 10:04 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by frank@December 14, 2004, 11:01 AM
hi Adrenalin...I got x-ice too but the size is 225/55r17 cause I keep my bullitt wheels for winter and I'll go for aftermarket chrome wheels this summer.. the 225 is the narrower tire I can put on this 8 inches wheels but it works very fine when you drive slow...what did you put on yours?
I put 235/55/R17 on my factory rims (I am just using these rims for the winter and will get a different set for the summer). So far I have had no issues with these tires. Had to drive in both hard packed snow and soft fluffy stuff. Even on ice they worked great.
Old 12/14/04, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Kellarina@December 13, 2004, 5:30 PM
I can drive. I'm a great driver. We just have some blizzard action and icy streets here tonight. It seems to grab better when I accelerate harder, but it was horrible going up the hill. It just wouldn't grab the road, like the tires were full of snow and ice. But the traction control does work wonders.
Man I don't envy you and driving the stang in last nights mess. I work in cleveland and it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to get home. When I got there I looked at the stang under the cover and thought "glad I didn't do that to you". At least that answers the question of whether your driving it year round or not. I am going to have to check yours out as soon as the weather gives us a break again. Glad you got home without incident.
Old 12/14/04, 07:05 PM
V6 Member

tought traction control was standard on the GT since 1999
Nope it's an option. Seems like we get different options in Canada versus the USA.
Old 12/14/04, 08:06 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
snow tires are the way to go in a Mustang if it is going to be driven in that environment.

I wouldn't want salt messing up the aluminum wheels either, best to get a set of steel wheels.
Old 12/14/04, 08:20 PM

What's snow? Here in sunny Southern California it's fun and easy to drive my new 05 Mustang GT. But I will admit that the car even on hot dry pavement does slip and spin, maybe I should slow down.
Old 12/14/04, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ruhn4beer@December 14, 2004, 9:23 PM
What's snow? Here in sunny Southern California it's fun and easy to drive my new 05 Mustang GT. But I will admit that the car even on hot dry pavement does slip and spin, maybe I should slow down.

JK
Old 12/14/04, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it was worth my time to buy a car to drive in all winter to save my Mustang, I'd do it. However, winter lasts half the year in NE Ohio and I drive every day, so I'd never drive my Mustang that I'm investing $26,000 in...

I don't drive anywhere but work and school, except the once every 3 months trip to a store to buy something.
Old 12/14/04, 09:13 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I put a set of 235 55R17 (stock) Bridgestone Blizzaks on my car. No heavy snows yet its seen light snows/freezing rain covered roads and the thing doesn't move. So far I am very very impressed. I'll report back after I hit some more substantial white stuff.

Quick Reply: NightMARE In the Snow